Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope it is not just me who have/had this confusion. Planning to buy Accent - Premium or Limited. Liking the Limited (particularly with the current offers, leather seats and moonroof package), but not a fan of 20" wheels as I live in Denver, Colorado and I do lot of off-roading while venturing into the mountains (hell, I took my beaten up 2012 Outback 2.4L to Cinnamon pass ;) Cinnamon Pass, a 4x4 road in the heart of San Juan National Forest ). I saw the posts about limited choices when it comes to 20" wheel.
So, here are my qns.
1. Would you suggest Limited with 20" wheels if I am planning to do 2" lift? I guess I can swap up the wheels for 18". What are the considerations I should keep in mind if I do?
2. What is the approx gas mileage impact I can expect when I install the 2" lift and skid plates to start with? (I probably will upgrade the tires to something like KO2 next Summer).
3. Any shops you can suggest around Denver area who are good with Subaru lifts? (just thought will ask that qn here as I know this is one of the Subaru states).

Appreciate your inputs. I will be honest. I am newbie when it comes to car upgrades, wheels and tire options, etc. But, somebody who is willing to learn and do more with my car.... Already learned a lot following this forum.

Take care.
MG

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello, I have the LP 2" lift, skid plate and bumper bar on my Ascent Touring. I have the 18" Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Highway mileage dropped to 22 mpg and city is about 16 mpg. But I have a heavy food and a Cobb Tune also.

Make sure you get the CVT Mount and sway bar Bushings from Chris @traildogck to have installed at the same time. Makes things much stiffer. He is a member of this forum.

Do not know anything about shops in Denver.

Good Luck

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hello, I have the LP 2" lift, skid plate and bumper bar on my Ascent Touring. I have the 18" Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Highway mileage dropped to 22 mpg and city is about 16 mpg. But I have a heavy food and a Cobb Tune also.

Make sure you get the CVT Mount and sway bar Bushings from Chris @traildogck to have installed at the same time. Makes things much stiffer. He is a member of this forum.

Do not know anything about shops in Denver.

Good Luck
What was your before mileage?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I hope it is not just me who have/had this confusion. Planning to buy Accent - Premium or Limited. Liking the Limited (particularly with the current offers, leather seats and moonroof package), but not a fan of 20" wheels as I live in Denver, Colorado and I do lot of off-roading while venturing into the mountains (hell, I took my beaten up 2012 Outback 2.4L to Cinnamon pass ;) Cinnamon Pass, a 4x4 road in the heart of San Juan National Forest ). I saw the posts about limited choices when it comes to 20" wheel.
So, here are my qns.
1. Would you suggest Limited with 20" wheels if I am planning to do 2" lift? I guess I can swap up the wheels for 18". What are the considerations I should keep in mind if I do?
2. What is the approx gas mileage impact I can expect when I install the 2" lift and skid plates to start with? (I probably will upgrade the tires to something like KO2 next Summer).
3. Any shops you can suggest around Denver area who are good with Subaru lifts? (just thought will ask that qn here as I know this is one of the Subaru states).

Appreciate your inputs. I will be honest. I am newbie when it comes to car upgrades, wheels and tire options, etc. But, somebody who is willing to learn and do more with my car.... Already learned a lot following this forum.

Take care.
MG

Are you doing the lift for looks or do you plan to actually offroad?

If for looks, the 20's are fine. If you want to offroad, you'll want the 18's for more tire sidewall (or even the one or two sets of 17" wheels that fit).

Personally I wanted custom wheels anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered for me, but even so I sold my OEM 18" wheels to help offset the cost of my new ones. Then later upgraded to the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. They are beefy, heavy and cut my gas mileage by about 2mpg too, but they GRIP like crazy in the mud.

The lift itself is probably one 1mpg hit. The rolling weight of the heavy tires is a much bigger hit.

And if you're planning to do more serious offroading, then you should also look into skid plates and get a full size spare too.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you doing the lift for looks or do you plan to actually offroad?

If for looks, the 20's are fine. If you want to offroad, you'll want the 18's for more tire sidewall (or even the one or two sets of 17" wheels that fit).

Personally I wanted custom wheels anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered for me, but even so I sold my OEM 18" wheels to help offset the cost of my new ones. Then later upgraded to the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. They are beefy, heavy and cut my gas mileage by about 2mpg too, but they GRIP like crazy in the mud.

The lift itself is probably one 1mpg hit. The rolling weight of the heavy tires is a much bigger hit.

And if you're planning to do more serious offroading, then you should also look into skid plates and get a full size spare too.
I am doing the lift for off-roading. Thanks for the mpg notes.

Yes, I am planning to install skid plates.Haven't thought about the full size spare. I will keep that in mind

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,989 Posts
Haven'tught about the full size spare. I will keep that in mind
If you are upsizing your tires, your only choices are to either upsize your spare to match the diameter of the tires you are running on or to be without a spare. AWD/4WD systems require identical tire diameters within a very small variance (to account for normal wear) and running a spare that's not compliant can damage the drivetrain. For off-roading, in particular, it's desirable that your spare also be "as capable" as your normal tires since you may need it to get out of the "off road" in difficult areas.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
777 Posts
I am doing the lift for off-roading. Thanks for the mpg notes.

Yes, I am planning to install skid plates.Haven't thought about the full size spare. I will keep that in mind
Then I would suggest getting 18"wheels or even the 17" wheels Robert has. If you like the features of the limited, then I would just consider the cost of the wheels part of the "price" of the Limited over the Premium.

So lift, + 5 wheels/tires, + skid plates + CVT mount and sway bar bushing (mentioned above) and you'll have a very capable offroad vehicle on easy to moderate trails.

Then just sell your OEM wheels and tires. Should be able to get a decent amount for that with the tires being new. Some people want a spare set for winter tires anyway.

Here is my Ascent doing some off roading in the mud. I don't have a lift yet or the skid plates, only the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts