Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a Premium or a Limited. I know leather seats are easier to clean. I am wondering if there are any Premium owners that really struggle keeping their seats clean? Or asked differently, is it a real chore when it comes to cleaning Premium seats? Any help from Premium owners would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I'm trying to decide between a Premium or a Limited. I know leather seats are easier to clean. I am wondering if there are any Premium owners that really struggle keeping their seats clean? Or asked differently, is it a real chore when it comes to cleaning Premium seats? Any help from Premium owners would be appreciated. Thank you.
I intentionally chose the Premium over the limited because I prefer the spill-resistant seats that I feel clean up easier than the leather in the Limited, which is what I have in our Forester and Crosstrek Limiteds Having said that, the base model I believe has a different type of cloth seat, one that's not labeled as spill resistant - just another data point to be aware of. But the Limited offers other things not available in the Premium, with the leather seats being just one of those items.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I much prefer cloth over leather any day. It’s not cold in the winter and it won’t fry me during our 110F summers.

If the cloth gets trashed the just replace it with Katzkin aftermarket leather if you like. I’m going to get Wet Okele seat covers for the 2nd and 3rd rows, since that’s where the dog and kiddos are.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had my Premium for 7 months and my ivory upholstery still looks and smells new. I wear jeans all the time and have not had a problem with dye transfer. I also have 3 kids and any dirt from their shoes has easily wiped off with a damp cloth (I tend not to let stains sit for long either). I am very happy with the cloth seats.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have the clothes in black and it’s a different material from the ‘16 Outback Premium we had.The Outback was just a plain cloth material where the Ascent Premium is a higher quality material and looks better. I never owned a vehicle with leather but whenever I sat in one during the cold and hot seaons it was torcherous.
Anybody remember vinyl in cars back when?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Limited seats are also way more comfortable in my opinion than the Premium. Cloth seats also get stains in them, I put a bag of fast food on my seat once out of the drive thru on the 1 mile trip back to the house, and I still have the grease stain on the cloth seat in my '15 legacy with the lighter interior. No one has been able to get it out.

Even if you go the Premium route and upgrade to the Katzkin or similar, you would be happier in my opinion

·
Registered
559 Posts
Only problem with leather is during the winter it freezes you when you get in, and during the summer your butt fries. Even seat ventilation is useless when it's 110F out and you get into the vehicle.

With cloth there is always the potential for staining. Get a dark interior if you're worried about that.

I find the cloth interior supremely more comfortable than the leather interiors in our Honda Odyssey, Mercedes SL and Ford Superduty truck. My Porsche has an Alcantara (fake suede) seating surface but it's not really all that comfortable since the seat is designed to hold you in during sporty driving. But Alcantara is still better than leather.

Of all the cars I've owned the Outback and Ascent cloth seats are the most comfortable.

YMMV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how does the lack of lumbar support on the premium affect you guys? i have to get 27 mpg hwy (rated) for work so unfortunately the limited is out, but i could get a preimium with the moonroof package. i prefer cloth as well but spend 8-10 hrs a day in the car two to three times a week. ive had lumbar and used it in all my previous subies and am worried my lower back would have issues without it. its really the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger. thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We've got about 5000 miles on our Premium, and the cloth upholstery rightfully earns its "Stain Resistance" rating. The very day we took delivery of our Ascent, one of my daughters...

...pooped on the seat. Ugh. But, it cleaned right up, and there is no trace of said poopage.

Patrick, I do miss having a lumbar adjustment on the seat, it's like my biggest complaint. Doesn't bother my wife.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We've got about 5000 miles on our Premium, and the cloth upholstery rightfully earns its "Stain Resistance" rating. The very day we took delivery of our Ascent, one of my daughters...

...pooped on the seat. Ugh. But, it cleaned right up, and there is no trace of said poopage.

Patrick, I do miss having a lumbar adjustment on the seat, it's like my biggest complaint. Doesn't bother my wife.
Now that is the true seat test :smile_big:

Yeah, since there are no 8 passenger Black/Black Limited trims in Texas and my wife prefers not to have leather seats we are now considering a Premium (much cheaper too). My wife hates the lumbar in our current cars but I really need it for our long trips :crying:

·
Registered
8 Posts

thanks. i jsut called an autotrim place and they said they can add it aftermarket for $500. i may go that route.

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
Yesterday I spilled about the bottom 1'' of my coffee mug onto the passenger seat in my Premium. Luckily I was home so I ran inside and came out with a dry rag to soak it up (it didnt immediately absorb into the seat thankfully), and a wet soapy cloth. Very little absorbed into the cloth seat and the rest came right out with the soapy cloth. No stains! I'm just about 1 year into owning it and the seats look practically new, including the rear seats where the kids regularly spill everything.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Limited seats are also way more comfortable in my opinion than the Premium. Cloth seats also get stains in them, I put a bag of fast food on my seat once out of the drive thru on the 1 mile trip back to the house, and I still have the grease stain on the cloth seat in my '15 legacy with the lighter interior. No one has been able to get it out.

Even if you go the Premium route and upgrade to the Katzkin or similar, you would be happier in my opinion
I spilled coffee on my cloth seats (both in the Ascent and the Crosstrek I had before that) and it cleaned right up. The cloth in the Subarus is actually pretty dang good. I like leather, don't get me wrong, but the leather in both the Mustang I had and the Miata I had started to wear on the left edge of the driver's seat where I was rubbing it getting in and out of the car. I have not had the same thing with the cloth in my Subarus.

Edit: This is at least true in the 2018 Trek and the 2019 Ascent. Actually never spilled coffee in the 2015 Trek we had.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts