Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a car with leather in the interior before. What kind of cleaning wipes do you recommend? I don't need or want the best of the best. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging the car with my weekly cleaning. Thank you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I personally used Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray on my 2000 Grand Cherokee and it's kept the seats in great shape given the age of the vehicle. I avoid wipes and go for a bottle with a rag, you get better coverage and cost.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I personally used Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray on my 2000 Grand Cherokee and it's kept the seats in great shape given the age of the vehicle. I avoid wipes and go for a bottle with a rag, you get better coverage and cost.
^^^Unless going to a specialty product that is marketed to high end detail shops, I find Meguiars products hard to beat. I agree with the statement above. I however do keep Meguiars leather and detail wipes in my car. This way, if for some reason I need to do a quick clean up (picking up a client, want to impress my wife on date night...) I can wipe things down while my vehicle fills with fuel.

I have used Meguiars for years on my vehicles, their RV products when we had campers and their Marine products for our boat. Happy with all of it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would also advise against the wipes, as even name brand (Meguiar's) wipes don't do much more than leave behind greasy residue. If you don't care about the best, there are plenty of products available at major retailers that will be adequate (Meguiars, Mother's, etc.)

Reactions: CentralMASubie

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. Would you recommend that for the whole non-plastic interior? I would definitely use it on the steering wheel. I have the cloth seats, so I know not to use it there.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you don't want a shiny residue on your leather, or you want to make your shiny seat looks matte again, I've found this to be the best. I usually use a microfiber towel to apply, but I also used a drill brush attachment to really get the shine off of my 2012 Outback driver's seat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VSELWG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For plastics, including exterior black bits:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KN0UOEE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used this to clean cloth door panels and to remove finger smudges from the headrests and headliner.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KR14C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you tell that I've recently prepped my 2012 Outback for sale? :) Still deciding on Ascent vs. CX-9. ...and if I can hold out I'd like to see the new 2020 Highlander.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I don't have leather seats. I'm wondering about my dash and inside door panels, mostly. If you can wait, I would. Then you'll know you got exactly what you wanted.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you don't want a shiny residue on your leather, or you want to make your shiny seat looks matte again, I've found this to be the best. I usually use a microfiber towel to apply, but I also used a drill brush attachment to really get the shine off of my 2012 Outback driver's seat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VSELWG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For plastics, including exterior black bits:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KN0UOEE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used this to clean cloth door panels and to remove finger smudges from the headrests and headliner.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KR14C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you tell that I've recently prepped my 2012 Outback for sale? :) Still deciding on Ascent vs. CX-9. ...and if I can hold out I'd like to see the new 2020 Highlander.
You and few dozen other Outback owners!

·
Registered
73 Posts
another vote for Meguiar's spray, that's what my detail guy uses. but never ever ever use those wipes they are terrible and leave behind residue. use Meguia's with a nice microfiber towel... they sell a spray for the leather and one for the dash, doors and the rest of the interior. They also give it that nice new car smell.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright. You've all sold me. Does anyone know what the Premium dash material is made of? I can't find it in the manual. At least then I can get the right spray for the job.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Alright. You've all sold me. Does anyone know what the Premium dash material is made of? I can't find it in the manual. At least then I can get the right spray for the job.
I generally use a vinyl/rubber cleaner for the dash. The dash and the tops of the door panels where it gets alot of exposure to the sun, I follow up the cleaning with the 303 Protectant. I have not tried the other 303 products. 303 is sworn by as the final coat protectant in the marine industry where the vinyl has exposure to the elements. A deep clean followed by the 303 protectant has kept the vinyl in our 2007 wakeboat looking almost new.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I started using the Griot's Garage family of products a few months ago. I like them.

I use Griot's 3-in-1 leather conditioner (cream) that I use on my leather, and it looks and smells great. I use a foam applicator to apply in a circular motion, let it sit for a minute, and then use an exclusive microfiber towel to wipe up the excess.

I use Griot's Interior Detailer spray on every non-fabric and non-leather surface for the rest of the car, applied with Microfiber.

I then use Griot's Vinyl Protectant with foam applicator and microfiber for excess for the dash and other non-leather non-steering wheel surfaces.

I'll look into the 303 for the OUTSIDE black rubber/vinyl parts. That sounds like a good product. So @Dandy you use two 303 products - one cleaner, followed up by a protector? Got it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@Dandy you use two 303 products - one cleaner, followed up by a protector? Got it.
No, I do not. I have only used the protectant. I have used Meguiers cleaners and conditioners and then after it is clean, I top coat it with the 303 protectant, only on vinyl/rubber type of surfaces. I have never tried the 303 protectant on leather. I have heard good things of their cleaners. According to their page, it should be OK for leather as well
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant/

I am also excited to hear about someone using the Griot's products. I have wanted to try them for years, but they seem to be a bit more "boutique" of a product aimed at high end detailers. I am tempted to give them a shot. Since we are on the topic, here is a link to the Griot's Garage Products

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have used the synthetic clay bar and the wash from Griot’s. They’re wonderful.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So on Sunday I used the Meguiars 3 in 1 leather wipes on my Touring seats. Well, I would say it takes about 1+ wipe per seat for coverage. I originally only wanted to clean the sunscreen off of the rear seats/doors but upon using the wipes, it definitely changes the color, or at least just the sheen of the seats. It made the seat a bit darker which I kinda like. But that forced me to do all of the seats completely! Like others have said, it does leave behind a bit of residue which I tried to remove as much as possible with a clean white cloth. If I had to do it again, I think I would try something else, perhaps just the spray cleaner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been using Griot's Leather 3-in-1 for years on my 2014 Outback leather with great results. I interchange that with the Leather Care and both have a pleasant scent that's not overpowering. It doesn't build up or leave streaks, easy to apply and wipe off, and can be used frequently (I apply to front seats where the most wear would be noticed about once a week) I just started using the 3 in 1 on my dash which is a rubber/vinyl like material. I am looking into trying the 303 product line but will probably stick with Griots leather care with the Ascent as well. If it isn't broke don't fix it!

·
Registered
542 Posts
303 on exterior black plastic and tires. A mix of 303, Meguiars Interior Detailer, Lexol for interior.

Keep an eye out for 303 on amazon, can be had for $20 shipped for a gallon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts