Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, maybe I'm just stupid, maybe my car isn't working right, but can someone shed some 'light' for me on DRL's for the Ascent Premium?
First, do they exist? Second, what headlight switch mode do they work on?
Here's the thing, I would have thought they would work on the 'auto' position of the headlight switch. My Ascent has zero lights on in that mode. Just to be sure, I put the car in the garage, closed the door, just in case it was too sunny out to tell. Nothing. In all other modes, parking lights, low and high beam, they work as expected. In auto mode, the low beams turn on and off as I turn on or off the garage lights, so auto does work in that capacity.
All my past Foresters had DRL's through the high beam bulb, but that's not happening for me.

Thanks for any clues for the clueless.

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
lol
I love hearing when someone solves their own problems! What was it you were missing before?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
One little thing that sometimes causes the "are they working" question to come up is that in many, if not most vehicles, DRLs are not on unless the vehicle is "in gear". So one of the best ways to check them is to pull up in front of something shiny, such as a glass front building with the drivetrain still in D or R. The glass is a mirror and you will see what lights and doesn't light. You can also step through other lighting settings if you wish to see if everything is lighting correctly, at least in manual modes.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thinking back, I know for a fact my DRL's were not working until I started dinking last night. I know I pulled up behind a shiny gas truck on the freeway and tested all positions of the light switch. The DRL's would not reflect back.
The DRL's work in what I refer to as the 'parking lights' position. Used to be the position with all lights but headlights. Mine did not. I went under the hood and started poking around at the driver side headlight. I pulled each bulb. One of them isn't a bulb. It looks like one, but when you pull it, it's got wires attached to it instead of a bulb. I thought that's probably the DRL's. I put it back together and went inside. I have a problem with raccoons getting in the garage so last night just prior to locking things down, I decided to test the lights once more. This time they worked!!! WTF?! Nice 'C' shaped LED's all lit up like a Christmas tree when the stem is put in parking lights mode. I know I've never seen that before. What ever I did, I now have running lights in 'parking lights' mode.
At first I thought I was just stupid and didn't recognize running lights, but this morning, I know they weren't working and now they are. I can only think exercising the connection on the driver side for the DRL's woke 'em up or something.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update;
My DRL's only work in 'parking lights' position. They do not work in Auto position. In Auto, the headlights turn on and off based on the amount of light that hits the sensor on the dash passenger side. When a light is placed over that sensor, the headlights turn off but the DRL's do not turn on.
Is that normal?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More upates;
My DRL's, and everyone else's too, work when in auto mode AND the car is not in park AND the parking brake is not set. If either the tranny or brake are in park, the DRL's go out when in Auto mode. That's hard to check on your own. Ha!

Move along, nothing to see here but the drooler. Ha!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I was gonna add that they turn off when the vehicle is placed in ‘park’,but you figured it out ??
I feel like it’s a good feature,less strain on battery/alternator while the vehicle is parked & running.

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
Yeah sounds like something fishy is going on with your headlights. The drl’s should be on day and night, with the headlight also on anytime the switch is on or at night in auto

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
My DRL's, and everyone else's too, work when in auto mode AND the car is not in park AND the parking brake is not set. If either the tranny or brak
I kinda mentioned that up above, but forgot about the parking brake since I don't generally use it...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kinda mentioned that up above, but forgot about the parking brake since I don't generally use it...
Yes you did, and I thank you for that. I was sure I had already checked this but my philosophy is; if you are going to ask for advice, then damit, take the advice and give it a try. Even if I think I've done that already.
In my past life, I worked on some very complex communications systems. Stuff that controls the electrical grid for the Western half of the US. I'd get calls about troubles, ask them what they did. Then I'd log in and review. This system is so critical, every key stroke from every person who logs in is recorded. I went back to see the record and while someone says they did something in a certain order, I'd see they didn't. I'm just as guilty of that too; thinking for sure I did something only to be proven I didn't do it that way after all. So when you posted, I was sure I already tried that, but also knew I better follow your instruction again because sometimes what I think I do and what I actually do are not the same thing. And it paid off.
Cheers to you!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I found this in the owner's manual. I noticed the DRL will illuminate even if the switch is in the "off" position.

The daytime running lights will automatically
illuminate when the following conditions
are fulfilled.

. The engine is running.
. The parking brake is fully released.
. The light control switch is in the
“AUTO”, “on” or "off" position.
. The select lever is in a position other
than the “P” position.

·
Registered
824 Posts
First time I noticed the DRL’s go out after putting it in park when I saw the reflection on a store front window.Was weird at first but I figure it was normal,after consulting the manual my hunch was correct.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
DRLs on many, if not most current vehicles, AFAIK, only illuminate when the transmission is in "go" or "back up".

Reactions: Luis Padilla
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.