Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
At that point any 4 channel amp that's wired to the front channel speaker level output of the head unit would do the job just fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know this is slightly off topic, but I recently used this midrange in another build and I must say, the performance of this driver is truly extraordinary.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerl...04-4-1-2-aluminum-dome-woofer-4-ohm--264-1484

The stereo imaging, even in strange placements like car audio, is far better than even the most aggressive 3D software effect can simulate. The detail is tweeter like in its clarity. I'm hearing tiny sounds I never heard before and find myself asking questions like "is this room she's singing in 100 feet long?" "I wonder what brand of rosin the cellist used on his bow?" and "I think this trombonist might have chapped lips today." It gets all this without being harsh at all.

Note the height on the dome so it doesn't hit the grille. They come in different sizes too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those who have the Base or Premium model, and want to improved the sound quality without laying down $500 for the Rockford-Fosgate "Upgrade", replacing the door speakers is simple and can make a night and day difference with the correct doors. Replacing the dash speakers is a little more involved.

The front door speakers can take either a 6x9 or 6-1/2 or 6-3/4 speaker. You will need Metra 82-8146 Speaker Mounting Brackets for the 6x9 or Metra 82-8147 Bracket for the 6-1/2 and 6-3/4.

The back door speakers can take either a 6-1/2 or 6-3/4 and use Metra Bracket #82-8148.

All four doors use Metra Wiring harness #72-8104.

The dash speakers are a 3-1/2", but if you replace those you will have to modify the opening below to "cover" to get the new speakers to fit. Once you do and get the new speaker is in and put the original speaker cover back on, you wont be able to notice opening has been modified. No one makes an adapter for the dash speaker wiring so you will have to tap into those wires. The side of the OEM tweeter that has to capacitor is the positive wire.

As i understand it, the Base model does not come with dash speakers. Have no idea about if wiring is there or not.

The 8" OEM head unit with the right speakers really sounds good. All in all, makes a huge difference.
I’m trying to decide if I need to add an aftermarket amplifier or not and I can’t find the RMS output for the 2020 OEM Subaru Ascent Amplifier anywhere. I’m planning on adding 2 6x9 Kicker KS Series 3-way speakers (RMS of 150 W) to the front and 2 6.5 Kicker KS series to the rear. The shop told me I don’t need a more power amplifier unless I end up adding a sub. Is this true? Will the stock amp have enough power for these speakers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’m trying to decide if I need to add an aftermarket amplifier or not and I can’t find the RMS output for the 2020 OEM Subaru Ascent Amplifier anywhere. I’m planning on adding 2 6x9 Kicker KS Series 3-way speakers (RMS of 150 W) to the front and 2 6.5 Kicker KS series to the rear. The shop told me I don’t need a more power amplifier unless I end up adding a sub. Is this true? Will the stock amp have enough power for these speakers?
I doubt the RMS is published anywhere... If you have the Harmon Kardon speakers then you have the matched headunit-amplifier and you are pretty much stuck with the stereo you have. Your only real option is just to swap out the speakers. But in those systems, the amp is designed to output low mid and bass only to the front door speakers. The rest of the soundscape go to the tweeters and center speaker. The rear door speakers are full frequency. There are vital system controls integrated into the head unit so you can not simply replace the head units.

If you do not have the Harmon Kardon speakers, you can add an aftermarket amp to that using the line level on the new amp from the the speaker outputs of the head unit. It's not the idea situation but crutchfields sell equipment that will clean up the signal and make it clean if that's what you want. You wont find a preamp output on any aftermarket stereo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have to take the door panel off, but thats just a matter of two screws and popping the retaining tabs lose. Same with all four doors.

I got all of it from Crutchfields, The front doors I went with Rockford Fosgate R169x3 Rockford Fosgate R169X3 and the back doors went with the R165x3 Rockford Fosgate R165X3

On the dash speakers I went with the Kicker 43DSC3504 Kicker 43DSC3504.., but again, you have to modify the opening to get these to fit properly. Takes a little but the finished appearance looks factory.

I also put in a Kicker Sub Kicker 11HS8. I tapped into the dash speaker wires for the input on the sub.

All in all a great sounding system for a couple hundred dollars and about 4 hours of work.
Can you expand on modifying the opening? Do you need to cut any plastic? Is it doable to back to stock after it is modified?

Also, is there a big difference in using the 2 way small speaker there vs just a tweeter?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5, 2021 Ascent Premium on the way
315 Posts
Geezer club checking in! I grew up in the era of Grunge, Gansta Rap, and Boy bands
Ha, I always sing "drop the leash, drop the leash" in my head when I read your user name, just because it reminds me of that cadence for some reason.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts