Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading threads here... it appears at one time, they used to sell the Premium with moonroof with the HK upgrade. Now that is not an option... You can only add the RF upgrade.

I drove a Limited yesterday without the HK option... and took quite a while to get the stereo to something a could tolerate.. the three slider eq wasn't a ton of help. Big thing i noticed was that for sound... it seemed i was listening to a single speaker in the dash over the stereo. i could move position of the sound left/right, fore aft with the controls...but the sound never really "filled" the car like i was hearing from all around me.

For other reasons, i won't get a Limited... so the Premium with RF upgrade would be my only route (short of custom) for audio if i get an Ascent. Is this a decent option for the sound system? if it were a half-assed option... is it an ok point to start if i were to just swap speakers at a later point so i wouldn't have to screw with doing my own amp/etc. install? I assume if i want a sub, i can just do a self-powered box somewhere in the car and run it off the RF amp.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think it’s worth it, especially if you DIY for $350 or so. The RF is louder, clearer, and has pretty good bass. I upgraded the tweeters as well and there was an improvement in airiness and clarity. The rear speakers do not get upgraded with the RF system but even if you replace them they don’t seem to get a full range signal, like there’s a HPF on them. I particularly like to keep the sound stage in front of me, like a real stereo system, so this doesn’t bother me. You can fade in some rear speakers for ambience but the big powerful sound comes from the front.

i think some people pick up on the psychoacoustics going on with the HK system, so it has been said by people who sound like they know what they’re talking about that RF system sounds better. It is after all more conventional and doesn’t rely too much on tricking your ears.

as always, YMMV...

More:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think it’s worth it, especially if you DIY for $350 or so. The RF is louder, clearer, and has pretty good bass. I upgraded the tweeters as well and there was an improvement in airiness and clarity. The rear speakers do not get upgraded with the RF system but even if you replace them they don’t seem to get a full range signal, like there’s a HPF on them. I particularly like to keep the sound stage in front of me, like a real stereo system, so this doesn’t bother me. You can fade in some rear speakers for ambience but the big powerful sound comes from the front.

i think some people pick up on the psychoacoustics going on with the HK system, so it has been said by people who sound like they know what they’re talking about that RF system sounds better. It is after all more conventional and doesn’t rely too much on tricking your ears.

as always, YMMV...

More:
I upgraded to the RF on our Premium. It was worth it. The soundstage is up front and has more clarity, improved bass, and is louder. I had a limited loaner with the HK and didn’t feel it was worth the extra $3k or so extra.

The install took me around 6 hours and I took my time. The most difficult part was routing the harness under the passenger seat carpet.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes but it has a blockout over it
Yeah, that’s such a tease. I wish it was operational. I would have added a sub by now if they had made it more convenient. I never opened the amp up but I think I read a couple years back that there is nothing there if you do open it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts