Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am more or less ready put down a pre-order for an Ascent Touring trim with the options I want. Yay!
Excited and yet apprehensive - decisions, decisions! 1st year model, 1st Subaru for us, is touring worth the price premium, are we getting the right set of options, is the price right, is competition better value, should we look at the new Pilot 2019...you get the idea.
Needless to say folks on the forum :angel: have been super-helpful - both on public forums and through PMs!

In any case when I go to the dealer, get one configured, put down a refundable deposit and order one, what documents should I expect? I do like the refundable clause although I hope I don't have to use it. Is the refund process tricky or smooth for those who have done it?

Also, will ordering one forbid me from ordering another if I get a better deal or change my mind (off chance)? The dealer kept saying factory knows who are ordering more than one (as if it is problem!), yet I see that many people on the forum have placed 2-3 different orders. Is there any potential issue there?

·
Registered
253 Posts
So, I am more or less ready put down a pre-order for an Ascent Touring trim with the options I want. Yay!
Excited and yet apprehensive - decisions, decisions! 1st year model, 1st Subaru for us, is touring worth the price premium, are we getting the right set of options, is the price right, is competition better value, should we look at the new Pilot 2019...you get the idea.
Needless to say folks on the forum :angel: have been super-helpful - both on public forums and through PMs!

In any case when I go to the dealer, get one configured, put down a refundable deposit and order one, what documents should I expect? I do like the refundable clause although I hope I don't have to use it. Is the refund process tricky or smooth for those who have done it?

Also, will ordering one forbid me from ordering another if I get a better deal or change my mind (off chance)? The dealer kept saying factory knows who are ordering more than one (as if it is problem!), yet I see that many people on the forum have placed 2-3 different orders. Is there any potential issue there?
As far as I am aware, you are under NO obligation to take the vehicle home until you are fully satisfied and sign on the dotted line after delivery. After I placed my order, I came home with a sheet of paper with my VON and a detailed 'invoice' of my order, along with a receipt for my $500 deposit (fully refundable). A few days later, I received a confirmation email from Subaru welcoming me to the Family.

As to multiple orders...? Seems a little sketchy, but if SOA will let you do it, go for it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ive owned 4 Subaru’s and ordered all 4. I’ve never bought one off the lot so the process has always been simple. I negotiated pricing in writing through email from a few dealers and then shopped those prices around until I found a the best deal. I then simply put $500 down and received an email that my factory order was confirmed in the amount I put down.

Pretty simple. As for multiple orders, someone else will have to answer. I think you’re better off shopping around first with others prices and going from there. I use a great dealer in Chicago where im from and I’ve seen others in surrounding states purchase through Chicago because of pricing. There is a lot of info on this forum. Maybe someone else’s price will help you negotiate.

I have a touring trim and I’d be happy to share my offer with you to use as a guide.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I placed a $3,000 deposit with a dealer (my idea) to show that I was serious about getting the car. The Ascent is a special case in that regardless of how it is ordered from the factory, the dealer will have no trouble in selling it. Case in point: my car was sold five minutes after we did not agree on the terms of the sale and they were eager to refund my deposit as fast as they could. I then placed an order at another dealer and the deposit this time was only $500. They explained to me that some people were trying to place multiple orders at different dealers not so much to get a better price, but to see who could come up with the car first. Then they would have an unsold car in the pipeline. Think about it. The factory can only supply so much to fill the allocations. If you have duplicate orders, some dealers will have a car in transit that is not spoken for. Then they will have to match that car with a potential owner. Someone will have the option for more or less car than they intended to buy. There are some cars as you can imagine that are almost impossible to sell once the order is canceled. In those cases, a non-refundable deposit if allowed by law is taken. I was told about someone that tried to place three or four duplicate orders and when he was found out, he had a straw-buyer try to place an order. He could not find anyone with good credit that was willing to get involved.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The dealer kept saying factory knows who are ordering more than one (as if it is problem!), yet I see that many people on the forum have placed 2-3 different orders. Is there any potential issue there?
If the order is actually placed and put into the SOA system, then yeah, it's a problem. I had to get special permission and contact my district manager AND contact SOA when I had a customer order two.

You see, Subaru REQUIRES - not suggests, not recommends, but REQUIRES - a signed buyers order (aka worksheet) and a deposit for EVERY order. (It's on the actual ordering screen - we have to verify that those exist.) It was a casual thing, but my district manager actually audited my sold order folder to make sure I wasn't creating things to try to load up our pipeline. Especially since our store had more pre-orders than all the other stores in our district combined.

What I suspect is happening is that some stores are simply taking 'orders' from customers and not actually placing them with SOA, and simply hoping something comes in that's close and they can put accessories on themselves or trying to use SPF (Subaru Production Flexibility) to game the system that way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the order is actually placed and put into the SOA system, then yeah, it's a problem. I had to get special permission and contact my district manager AND contact SOA when I had a customer order two.

You see, Subaru REQUIRES - not suggests, not recommends, but REQUIRES - a signed buyers order (aka worksheet) and a deposit for EVERY order. (It's on the actual ordering screen - we have to verify that those exist.) It was a casual thing, but my district manager actually audited my sold order folder to make sure I wasn't creating things to try to load up our pipeline. Especially since our store had more pre-orders than all the other stores in our district combined.

What I suspect is happening is that some stores are simply taking 'orders' from customers and not actually placing them with SOA, and simply hoping something comes in that's close and they can put accessories on themselves or trying to use SPF (Subaru Production Flexibility) to game the system that way.
That is so interesting. I test drove the car at a dealership in Fremont, CA. The guy I was dealing with took my license and phone number, and went to configure the car to get me a price (which is what I asked for). He came back a 15-20mins later to tell me they "accidentally" hit the order button and ordered the car. Ultimately, we couldn't agree on price and the fact that he wanted $1,000 non-refundable deposit. Going by what you said, presumably an order with my name, phone-number, address and my exact spec is already in the SOA system, without my consent really. I can see your point how the dealership is happy to get a car, whether or not "I" am buying it or paid the deposit for. They can always sell it to someone for MSRP or higher.

So, now are there going to be problems with my actual order elsewhere? :sad:
Is there a way for me to call SOA and get this fixed?

·
Registered
292 Posts

That is so interesting. I test drove the car at a dealership in Fremont, CA. The guy I was dealing with took my license and phone number, and went to configure the car to get me a price (which is what I asked for). He came back a 15-20mins later to tell me they "accidentally" hit the order button and ordered the car. Ultimately, we couldn't agree on price and the fact that he wanted $1,000 non-refundable deposit. Going by what you said, presumably an order with my name, phone-number, address and my exact spec is already in the SOA system, without my consent really. I can see your point how the dealership is happy to get a car, whether or not "I" am buying it or paid the deposit for. They can always sell it to someone for MSRP or higher.

So, now are there going to be problems with my actual order elsewhere?

Is there a way for me to call SOA and get this fixed?
You’ll be fine. I had 3 preorders placed in three different dealers. No problem with placing or getting refunds on any of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You’ll be fine. I had 3 preorders placed in three different dealers. No problem with placing or getting refunds on any of them.
I have actually placed an order for Ascent with one dealer. I may be able to get a better price with another one, which will require placing another one. However, I don't want to cancel the first order just yet - in case we change our mind and need the car sooner OR if the second dealer decides not to honor the price.

I am wondering if there's a window to cancel the order?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Orders are accounted as part of their allocation amount. Dealers can't get more cars than they are allowed by the SOA god. From what I put together, if the dealer is gifted by the SOA god 10 cars per month, then they can use that number to specify the order for a particular customer before that batch comes (if schedule permits). Therefore, if the customer change their mind, the dealer just refund your money and sell it normally.

Keep in mind, dealers don't pay the SOA god until it's sold to a customer; so the "invoice" is not the exact amount the dealer pays for them, it could be lower or higher, depend on the contractual agreement.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You see, Subaru REQUIRES - not suggests, not recommends, but REQUIRES - a signed buyers order (aka worksheet) and a deposit for EVERY order.
Can a $500 Subaru Loyalty Voucher be used in lieu of a cash $500 deposit? If not, is that a personal or dealership thing or is it a corporate thing?

My salesman offered to put in some wording like "Deposit is refundable if customer is not satisfied with test drive, or customer can not get approved with promotional financing, or customer's vehicle no longer qualifies for Guaranteed Trade In Program" - so I'd suggest you do something along those lines.

As for the Pilot 2019, meh. We have a 2016 Pilot that my wife drives as her daily. She likes it. I'm lukewarm about it. I don't like the fact that it's consuming a little bit of oil (0w20), I don't like the Maintenance Minder, I don't like the Honda Service Department, nor the glitchy infotainment system, and it's a royal pain to replace any light bulbs (low beams have already blown out, turn signals are brutal to access, like my Gen4 low beams in my Outback, through the wheel well)... I also lost traction a lot in the winters since we've purchased it. Just because it is AWD does NOT mean it is comparable to Subaru AWD.

Pilot has some good third row body and headroom. But, considering how seldom we use the third row, if I was buying today it would not be my first choice. It also has a 6AT instead of a CVT, which is interesting, but I find myself enjoying the CVT in my Outback more and more. The 6AT in the Pilot appears clumsy and likes to gear hunt.

I'm biased to favor Subaru - there's no hiding that - but there are reasons and motives behind my bias. My Subarus have been great vehicles that have been dependable and perfect for what I need them to do.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have actually placed an order for Ascent with one dealer. I may be able to get a better price with another one, which will require placing another one. However, I don't want to cancel the first order just yet - in case we change our mind and need the car sooner OR if the second dealer decides not to honor the price.

I am wondering if there's a window to cancel the order?
My dealer will not refund my deposit until I give them my credit card number...Does that sound right...?
I do not trust them(McKenna Subaru)after they reneged on my deal.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
My dealer will not refund my deposit until I give them my credit card number...Does that sound right...?
I do not trust them(McKenna Subaru)after they reneged on my deal.....
If you paid with a credit card, it is reasonable that they would credit it. If you paid in cash or check, I wouldn't give them a card.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
965 Posts
Keep in mind, dealers don't pay the SOA god until it's sold to a customer; so the "invoice" is not the exact amount the dealer pays for them, it could be lower or higher, depend on the contractual agreement.
Technically, that's not correct, and at the same time, it sort of is.

Let's say you (customer) purchase an Outback with an MSRP of $36,500, invoice of $33,500, and pay $33,500 for the car. The car has been on the dealers lot for 90 days. The dealer would then owe Subaru $33,500 the car, as per the invoice. But ... there's holdback, which it is up to the individual dealership to decide if they'll give that up to secure the deal or not. Since you're only talking about $600 here, chances are, no, because that IS the dealership's profit for selling that car. There's also floorplan, which is money the dealership gets to help cover the interest on that $33,500 loan they have for the car. That's normally on a couple of hundred, which means that at 90 days, it's gone and is a wash.

This doesn't include dealer cash, which can and will vary per model and trim level, and whether you lease, finance, or pay cash, but most of the time ends up being (since this is Subaru) a big fat zero anyway. So while yeah, the dealership IS the exact amount they dealer pays for the car, most of the time the dealer gets to make a couple of hundred on the deal. And seriously, there is nothing wrong with profit - that's what allows a dealership to make great deals for OTHER customers, as well as contribute to the community.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I apologize for being rude, but you never should have placed 3 different orders with 3 different dealers. That is really taking advantage of a good situation - a refundable deposit. It would have been rather amusing if you had been on the hook for over $120,000 in vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whats wrong with cancelling a preorder and ordering somewhere else if you find another dealer that is closer to home and offers a price/delivery date combination that works better for you? Does the dealer get penalized for cancelling a preorder or something? I dont know gobears157 personally but I can tell you that he was kind enough to contact me to see if I wanted to take over his preorder when he found another dealer closer to home with an earlier delivery date. He spent some time communicating with me and the dealer to ensure the order transfer went smoothly and that they honored and passed along the great price he was initially quoted. That is above and beyond in my book!

:smile: Excitedly awaiting my Abyss Blue Pearl Limited with an ETA of Sept. hopefully...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Whats wrong with cancelling a preorder and ordering somewhere else if you find another dealer that is closer to home and offers a price/delivery date combination that works better for you? Does the dealer get penalized for cancelling a preorder or something? I dont know gobears157 personally but I can tell you that he was kind enough to contact me to see if I wanted to take over his preorder when he found another dealer closer to home with an earlier delivery date. He spent some time communicating with me and the dealer to ensure the order transfer went smoothly and that they honored and passed along the great price he was initially quoted. That is above and beyond in my book!

:smile: Excitedly awaiting my Abyss Blue Pearl Limited with an ETA of Sept. hopefully...
I have no problem with putting in a pre-order, canceling it, and then putting in another pre-order. My problem is when the customer places 3 pre-orders simultaneously, hoping one will be the deal they really want. I am glad gobears157 was able to help you out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this interesting bit of information. So I placed an order with my dealer about a month ago. Is it normal that I have still not received any confirmation from SOA or prospective dates from the dealer? Every time I call up the dealer they say that there is no new information. When I asked for a VON they gave me some 5 digit dealer order number. Is this typical?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for this interesting bit of information. So I placed an order with my dealer about a month ago. Is it normal that I have still not received any confirmation from SOA or prospective dates from the dealer? Every time I call up the dealer they say that there is no new information. When I asked for a VON they gave me some 5 digit dealer order number. Is this typical?
They should be able to provide a von within a few days (when dealer officially orders the car in your name in Subaru’s system). However, lack of info after (eg vin) can be in a blackhole for a couple months. I ordered in May and am still waiting for a vin.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Depending upon your dealer - if the salesman does the order, then he should have given you a copy of the order when you actually ordered the car with the VON on it. If a manager orders it, then they would have the paperwork with a full VON on it. And if you're in SNE / SDC territory, then who knows what's up with that stuff. (Seriously!)

And yeah, it typically takes a full month before we see any change when the production line is up and running with an ordered unit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts