Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it is just me or if anyone has noticed that the Pre-Collision Braking System "seems" to be activating at a much farther distance on cold weather.

Just today, it activated for me on the way to work and during lunch drive. It didn't went on full stop though because the car in front on me was making a turn on both cases. At any rate, it would surely irritate the driver behind me.

Was wondering if the "snowflake" indicator also makes it compensate for possible icy road conditions.

By the way, i have only experienced the Pre-Collision Braking System kick in 3 times (twice today and one a few days ago). Thinking about it, the first time I experienced it was also cold.

·
Registered
978 Posts
A smart engineer would be wise to increase distance under freezing temps. I would expect that to be the case or they haven’t done their homework

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For the Pre-Collision Braking System (PCBS) to decide on braking distance based on the "snowflake" indicator, I think it will be very annoying if it's programmed too conservatively. It may be a really good idea if you're in an area where the right condition for slippery road to exist, like the Rockies, Appalachians, or Sierra; that potentially affect about 30% or less of US area.

Let's see how the assisted technology will play out for Subaru, and others...

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I was wondering about some similar behavior just this morning. It’s well above freezing but cooler than it has been at about 48° here. I had the PCBS activate twice today. There are only a few differences that I can identify such as this slightly cooler weather, the driving rain storm I was in and the fact that I’m parking within my Wi-Fi reception area for software updates now. I was wondering if maybe eyesight recognizes that it was raining and played it safe with the stopping distance and even following distance on ACC?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did a 2500 mile trip using the adaptive cruise control and pre-collision braking system. It worked great! I didn't notice any change in distance when in cold weather. I did like the snowflake indicator as a reminder to drive according.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This morning Pre-Collision Braking kicked in, in the middle of a green arrow left turn, it somehow interpreted a car in the gas station driveway, a threat and slammed on brakes and beeper. After the beepers went out, it took me another second to get the car to roll again, much to the annoyance of the car behind me, who nearly rear ended me, when the car stopped for no good reason.
Not happy with this incident, which could have become really costly, since I've been informed by the dealer and here, that not much data is stored, and how would I show I was not the reason the car stopped ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.