Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
They still can’t promise a loaner but that’s just a minor inconvenience as far as I’m concerned.
Talk to SoA if you need help with covering the cost of a rental, if the dealer doesn't have a loaner.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
^^ This for sure...

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Talk to SoA if you need help with covering the cost of a rental, if the dealer doesn't have a loaner.
^^ This for sure...
Unfortunately they’ve been less than helpful…

I sent an email inquiry many many weeks ago. Just a few weeks ago they sent me a survey to ask how my experience was. After my less than flattering survey they simply called the dealer and gave me the exact same info the dealer gave me then closed the cased out which sent me another survey that I didn’t even bother with.
However, if I were really concerned I have had much better results calling them in the past

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Its Wednesday! I dropped her off for surgery this morning. I'm anxious to feel the difference! I'm not expecting her to be out of surgery and recovery today.

How long does this kind of transplant take normally? I reserved a rental thru Friday but I'm hoping to turn it in sooner. The rental is a Hyundai Santa Fe, a newer model based on the mileage and body style. In the short drive from picking up to work it has already reaffirmed how much I dislike driving Hyundais. Ugh, first world problems...

The dealership lot is even more deserted than it was at my last visit.
Sky Cloud Wheel Car Tire

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Its Wednesday! I dropped her off for surgery this morning. I'm anxious to feel the difference! I'm not expecting her to be out of surgery and recovery today.

How long does this kind of transplant take normally? I reserved a rental thru Friday but I'm hoping to turn it in sooner. The rental is a Hyundai Santa Fe, a newer model based on the mileage and body style. In the short drive from picking up to work it has already reaffirmed how much I dislike driving Hyundais. Ugh, first world problems...

The dealership lot is even more deserted than it was at my last visit.
View attachment 16619
A day or two. It's not tough. It's a book job of just under 6 hours, IIRC. That includes the filling, learning, testing, etc.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Ok wait I don’t think I told you. A am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem.I sincerely hope that they fix it with the new model of transmission and that it works out in your favor without any headaches.
I think what I said was that all is the transmissions in all of the Subarus will break absent an admission of a manufacturing defect. That is the only science based answer.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Told ya no other way it could do that we will all experience it over and over until they fix it
Ok wait I don’t think I told you. A am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem.I sincerely hope that they fix it with the new model of transmission and that it works out in your favor without any headaches.
I think what I said was that all is the transmissions in all of the Subarus will break absent an admission of a manufacturing defect. That is the only science based answer.
You're making up fake stuff again.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
To benefit anyone else who may have warranty work done and whose dealer has no loaners available here's a summary of my call to SOA at 1-800-SUBARU3:

The representative answered and went through some basic questions: my name, the vehicle and mileage (Ascent/52k), and a summary of work being done (CVT replacement). He asked if I knew an expected completion time (no, but will be calling today to check), if the dealer had a loaner available or offered to cover a rental (no to both, just an Uber within 10 mi), and if I had already started a rental on my own (yes). He then called the dealer to confirm the vehicle is there, the work being done, and loaner situation but made it clear he was offering no promises on reimbursement at this point, which I understand since a lot of info still needed verified. Unfortunately, as I've experienced myself, they're usually pretty busy so he wasn't able to speak with anyone immediately. He did state he left a voicemail and he'll send an internal communication to them and confirmed my email address. Back to waiting...

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
I sincerely hope that they fix it with the new model of transmission
There is no "new model" of transmission...they replace a damaged unit with one that isn't damaged. :)

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
I’m sorry what else have I made up? Time will tell. How’s that transmission recall going? Do me a favor Robert go look at your crankshaft and safely tell me it’s not wobbling around.
How about this?

There's no "science" basis behind your claim. It's just made up stuff, again.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I’m going to selfishly point this thread back to me 😜

Of course I was in a meeting this morning when my advisor called. She left a voicemail that my Ascent will be ready by noon. It’s noon! More to follow.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I finally returned the Santa Fe. It made me thankful for my Ascent!

So far so good in the 12 miles I've driven on it. The very first thing I noticed after starting it was no chirp when placing it in drive. Then I noticed my tire pressures were in kpa so that took a minute to remember how to change! I'll be putting another 50+ miles on it while taking the kids to the beach tonight so I hope all remains well.
One question maybe for @Robert.Mauro:
Product Font Line Material property Parallel

What are all the numbers after TR690 in the OLD/ NEW lines?

------------------------------------------------------
Quick little comparison and review of a 2020 Santa Fe:
  • Interior/Exterior
    • Compared to the interior of a 2021-2022 Santa Fe, the 2020 has more storage for things like your phone
    • the driver/passenger door cupholders were more useless than the Ascent's
      • the center cupholders had little arms on springs that held different cup sizes still so that was nice
    • dash and cloth seat materials were very Hyundai: look nice but cheap
    • no 3rd row option but enough room back there for a couple small seats
    • the white door handles weren't the same white as the paint
  • Electronics
    • the audio system sounded like hot garbage, but I 'm sure I was in the base model so...
    • the touchscreen itself was very responsive and the 'home' display was better laid out to access CarPlay while looking at the now playing screen whether it was playing radio, bluetooth, carplay, etc
      • changing the volume didn't result in the entire screen being covered so that was a nice change!
    • The touchscreen was one of those standalone device-looking units which I felt was too far away from the driver, BUT the extra distance allowed a small ledge below the screen which helped stabilize my hand while using the touchscreen for better accuracy
    • The gauges were decently laid out and most of it was an LCD so it was customizeable between an analog vs digital speedometer and the menus allowed access to customize a lot of items such as the number of times the turn signal blinks when tapped, rear camera staying on, startup audio volume!, rear seat reminders, etc
      • BUT, less useful info is displayed at any given time than the Ascent's display
        • except it did display the song name on the gauge cluster when the song changed.
      • There were about a million icons for headlights, parking light, fog lights, etc so I almost understand people driving without headlights now. There's no good way to tell what's actually on! Presumably leaving them in auto would be best but they didn't come on in the fog automatically this morning...
      • The trip odometer randomly resets, presumably when it feels like it will display better average mpg. no idea?
    • Controls on the steering wheel were well laid out and intuitive, similar to the Ascent, maybe more so
    • unlocking via touching the door handles required pressing a button on the handle. I've been spoiled by the Ascent so that annoyed me
  • Driveability: It drives like a Hyundai....
    • torque steering is plentiful
    • all the weight on the front tires makes the rear end very loose and the front end doesn't have enough traction for that much weight therefore it slides around turns I would normally feel comfortable going much faster around in my Ascent
    • the engine was lethargic, even in 'sport mode'
    • the amount of time it took for the transmission to shift gears made me miss the CVT
    • the engine and muffler we're loud, but had a nice exhaust tone
    • engine start stop was stupid
      • the engine stopped just before the car came to a rest so it felt like slamming on the brakes every time
      • the engine shook the car when starting and took long enough to start I felt like I wanted to honk at myself at green lights....also the horn was weak
  • Driver assist features:
    • Lane centering worked well but similar to my experience with LKA in the Ascent I felt like I'm fighting it more than its helping
      • There's very little indication what the system is doing. Only a lane assist icon that turns completely green when it finds a line. There's no indicator as to what line it sees and it loses the lines easily while still green
      • Lane departure warnings were incredibly annoying, but I suppose that's the point
    • ACC was ok. It responded well to vehicles ahead in a similar manner to the Ascent.
      • There's only one button to control following distance so it jumps from a short distance to a long distance quickly.
      • The increase/decrease speed toggle was well thought out: tapping would change 1mph while holding would jump in higher increments.
      • I prefer the Ascent's display so I know when it sees the car ahead. The Santa Fe only had a tiny car icon next to the cruise icon when it saw a vehicle ahead. No brake light indications either like the Ascent has.
    • I never had the emergency braking engage but did receive the alarm. It was very similar to the Ascent
    • The quality of the backup camera was poor
      • it wasn't wide angle
      • colors were very washed out, enough that I couldnt use it when backing in my driveway last night

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Has anyone had a reply like this when trying to get reimbursed for a rental during warranty work?
Font Technology Darkness Event Terrestrial plant

I'm thankful to be reimbursed for the rental...but he referred to it as a 'goodwill gesture'...
As of yesterday the representative I had been talking to hadn't been able to reach the dealership to discuss my car either. The only info he was working with is the invoice and rental receipt I sent him.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
381 Posts
Has anyone had a reply like this when trying to get reimbursed for a rental during warranty work?
View attachment 16705

I'm thankful to be reimbursed for the rental...but he referred to it as a 'goodwill gesture'...
As of yesterday the representative I had been talking to hadn't been able to reach the dealership to discuss my car either. The only info he was working with is the invoice and rental receipt I sent him.
Literally everything I have had done by Subaru that wasn't explicitly under my maintenance contract or warranty, has been described as a "goodwill gesture". I think they do it so they have an out down the line if needed.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts