Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came back to town after three days. While my 2021Ascent with 20K miles was parked the power steering went out. It is was very hard to drive. It was almost like it was fighting me back. Has steering wheel error on dash along with eye-sight error. Dropped it off at the dealer. They said two days to look at it and they do not offer loaner cars. Not my favorite dealership to use but they are closer to my house.

1st question - Is this a common/easy problem to address?

2nd question - This is the first brand of new car I have ever bought that did not offer replacement vehicle to drive when your vehicle is not safe to drive. Is this a common Subaru thing? Shame on me for not doing more brand research.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
671 Posts
Came back to town after three days. While my 2021Ascent with 20K miles was parked the power steering went out. It is was very hard to drive. It was almost like it was fighting me back. Has steering wheel error on dash along with eye-sight error. Dropped it off at the dealer. They said two days to look at it and they do not offer loaner cars. Not my favorite dealership to use but they are closer to my house.

2nd question - This is the first brand of new car I have ever bought that did not offer replacement vehicle to drive when your vehicle is not safe to drive. Is this a common Subaru thing? Shame on me for not doing more brand research.
First time I've seen anything regarding any P/S issues. The loaner policy is set strictly by the dealer, not corporate. During the new & used car shortages, it is hit & miss according to inventory with most dealers. You can call SoA (Subaru of America) at 1 800 subaru3 and see if they will authorize a rental car voucher.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,871 Posts
This is the first brand of new car I have ever bought that did not offer replacement vehicle to drive when your vehicle is not safe to drive. Is this a common Subaru thing? Shame on me for not doing more brand research.
This has nothing to do with the brand. It's a dealer choice to have loaner vehicles or not, but Subaru generally prefers that for recalls for sure. I agree with Packard8...call Subaru and request assistance with a loaner/rental for this particular kind of issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I'll 3rd the recommendation to call SOA about the loaner or rental. None of the local dealerships here offer loaners anymore so when my CVT was replaced I paid for a rental, called SOA, emailed them the rental receipt, then they sent me a check to cover it 'as a courtesy'.
And to 2nd the power steering thing, I can't think of any complaints on here about losing power steering. Good call getting it straight to the dealer.

Please keep us posted. I'm curious what the cause is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Subaru waited on hold several times and requested call back - nothing yet.

I have never been told I could not have a car anywhere even during these "hard" times.

After doing research now found out local dealership has very bad reputation. I just don't want to go through the hassle of moving my car. There will not be a next time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will underscore the dealer variance, though my dealer has been good about offering loaners, and I am clearly paying for it with the prices they charge...

But I want to share (second-hand) and experience from this weekend. My sister was on her way up to Yosemite in a recent Outback when she got the Christmas tree lights on the dash. Gas cap didn't fix it. And there were not a ton of options on Hwy 99. They stopped at a dealer to have the codes read. Unfortunately, there was a wait and it turned out that there was an actual, do not drive this car to Yosemite, problem and parts are backordered.

She ended up in a loaner Ascent, with the promise that the fixed car would be delivered back to her home, and the loaner picked up at the same time -- 200 miles away.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I called Subaru waited on hold several times and requested call back - nothing yet.

I have never been told I could not have a car anywhere even during these "hard" times.

After doing research now found out local dealership has very bad reputation. I just don't want to go through the hassle of moving my car. There will not be a next time.
I've only been given a loaner car 1 time in my entire life (independent subaru dealership while my WRX was in the shop for a day). Even when our brand new Chrysler minivan with 6k miles on it had total transmission failure (in early 2021) and was in the shop for 2 months they didn't offer a loaner. Nor did they offer a loaner when our vehicle had another issue at 7k miles and spent another month in the shop.

I always consider being given a loaner as an extremely rare offer, almost like winnin the lottery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've only been given a loaner car 1 time in my entire life (independent subaru dealership while my WRX was in the shop for a day). Even when our brand new Chrysler minivan with 6k miles on it had total transmission failure (in early 2021) and was in the shop for 2 months they didn't offer a loaner. Nor did they offer a loaner when our vehicle had another issue at 7k miles and spent another month in the shop.

I always consider being given a loaner as an extremely rare offer, almost like winnin the lottery.
It's just not great customer service that's all. It's certainly not an unreasonable expectation especially in the cases that you presented. The dealers will make money on the rentals. Yes, vehicle availability creates issues at some places.

The standard for me has always been if they keep it overnight for repairs they offer a car.

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
Some dealers participate in an actual loaner program with Subaru...my local dealer does...which means that not only are loaners available for major work like recalls, etc., but one is also driving an actual Subaru. They try to keep folks in the same model when they can, too. It may be a different trim, however.

They actually have had to have visible signs on them that they are "not for sale" over the past two years because of the supply issue with new cars and making sure some sales person didn't get tempted. :D My understanding is that SoA actually owns them.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
The standard for me has always been if they keep it overnight for repairs they offer a car.
Until recently I’ve always expected the same. I swear I stood at the service dept a little dumbfounded when I dropped my Ascent off for a CVT replacement and they had nothing to offer: no loaner, no rental, only an Uber ride within 10mi.
I can only assume their rental subsidies got too expense to maintain and judging by their lot they didn’t have a loaner to even offer.
Thankfully SOA came thru and took care of that rental since it was warranty work. But it was enough of a pita that when I drop it off tomorrow morning for a couple ball joints I won’t even be asking or seeking a rental… I’m taking my bike with me 😂

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
774 Posts

What area are you in? Someone may be able to suggest a dealer where they've had good experiences.

I dropped off my Outback for some warranty work this morning and left in a 2022 Ascent loaner with 125 miles on it. My local dealer has been pretty good on this and overall service experience (though there's bee a noticeable change post COVID).

Don't let one dealer dissuade you!

·
Registered
43 Posts

This Confuses me since your car should still be under Warranty. Also, I was told that I would get a loaner if I needed one under Warranty. I wonder if this is just that one Dealership. I hope someone has an answer for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I now know with Subaru at least loaners are on a per dealer basis. Local dealer only offers loaners on a per case basis. I now know where to take it to get better customer service. Just doesn't feel right moving it. I may change my mind after I hear how long the repair/parts may take. They may change their tune and decide they will take care of me if the repair is big enough or worth their time. Truly ironic if I have my car towed from one Subaru dealer to another.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,935 Posts

I always consider being given a loaner as an extremely rare offer, almost like winning the lottery.
in contrast I have never NOT had a loaner at my local Subaru dealership. I have been there many times for both warranty and service. I did not even buy the car there. I bought my 2019 limited factory ordered through a broker who used a different dealer.

·
Registered
Just ordered a '23 Ascent Touring
66 Posts

A wait over 30 days (45 in some cases) means you can launch a lemon law proceeding, which I would have done. That generally gets their attention.

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
A wait over 30 days (45 in some cases) means you can launch a lemon law proceeding, which I would have done. That generally gets their attention.
Jurisdiction specific (state level in the US) Lemon laws vary.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not to derail this comment section too much, but yeah we initiated a lemon law last year. Legally I'm not supposed to discuss the results, but I'm satisfied with the outcome despite them taking 1.5 years to resolve it (still not resolved quite yet, but we are days away now).

What I can say is that we will be trading in our Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan for a 2023 Ascent. We already ordered the Ascent. :)

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
671 Posts
Dealer came back saying the steering rack module failed which is a part of the steering rack so the whole assembly will have to be replaced.
At least now you know what the issue is. This is the first time I've heard of the P/S going out. I hope you don't get caught in the supply chain mess.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Touring with all the bells & whistles
55 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but there's an excellent dealer on the NH/MA border in Hudson, NH. In the recent past I've had a loaner for every overnight repair. I've been dealing with them for 7-8 years and never had a dealer complaint issue, conversely I've written to SOA on occasion to compliment the dealer for a above and beyond service experience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts