Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased my new Subaru 2019 Ascent June 2019. My initial impression of the vehicle were all very positive. Still love the design but I did run into an issue this past weekend that needs to be reported. While driving from 310 miles at 65 mph on interstates in 90+ degree weather, the power steering failed 6 times. Failures started after two hours of driving. With each failure, steering became extremely difficult at high speeds and almost impossible to maneuver pulling over to the side of the road (took great force to turn the wheel at slow speeds). Had my wife been driving she would have been unable to steer the vehicle. Called the Subaru dealership and made an appointment for the following Monday. No mention by the dealership not to drive the vehicle. Each time the power steering failed, I was able to reset the steering issue with a shutdown/restart of the vehicle. No issues the next day when driving locally for no more than 30 minutes. On our return 310 trip, again after two hours we started to have power steering failures. Five in total on the return trip. All failures were recorded by the MySubaru app. The vehicle was dropped off at the dealership with 2604 miles. At the dealership I was told no error code is being reported and if they find an issue or if the issue could be duplicated, they would repair the vehicle. Poor choice of words. The MySubaru app recorded the errors. Driving the vehicle with Power Steering failures is extremely dangerous and I was very foolish for attempting to drive the vehicle with these failures. I received a call today and was told that an error code shows that the Power Steering Rack needs to be replaced. Hope this resolves the issue. Hope no one else has this type of issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Its my understanding that when they initially say 'no error code being reported' that means that there is no error code currently active. When they actually dig in further is when they find the logs of what has happened. Good to see they're fixing it. That's what the warranty is for.

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
I agree with the end of your post. Don’t try to drive when you can’t steer!

I used to drive a manual Chevy Cruze. The radio screwed up so to fix it I put it in neutral and turned off the ignition. Well the steering wheel locks if it’s moved after that. Quick restart in 6th gear and everything was fine. Won’t be doing that again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought an Ascent in May 2019. On a hot day, 90,s, while taking a short drive, as I turned right my power steering ceased and numerous lights came on my dash. Once able to pull over, I shut off and restarted car, everything worked. The next day I texted my salesman, who texted me back said Service would contact me. They did not. I also email service dept the same day on dealer website, no acknowledgement they ever received or reviewed my email. About 2 weeks later it happened again while backing up from a parking spot, very warm day hi 90's. I shut car down and PS returned but many lights stayed on dash while driving home. I made an appointment at my dealer, after 1-2 hours of testing, informed me I needed a steering rack and put me in a Courtesy Car. 10 days pass, no part available. After reading this post am wondering if this may be a major problem. Have reviewed Lemon laws, but am actually concerned I have a very unsafe car with 2000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just bought an Ascent in May 2019. On a hot day, 90,s, while taking a short drive, as I turned right my power steering ceased and numerous lights came on my dash. Once able to pull over, I shut off and restarted car, everything worked. The next day I texted my salesman, who texted me back said Service would contact me. They did not. I also email service dept the same day on dealer website, no acknowledgement they ever received or reviewed my email. About 2 weeks later it happened again while backing up from a parking spot, very warm day hi 90's. I shut car down and PS returned but many lights stayed on dash while driving home. I made an appointment at my dealer, after 1-2 hours of testing, informed me I needed a steering rack and put me in a Courtesy Car. 10 days pass, no part available. After reading this post am wondering if this may be a major problem. Have reviewed Lemon laws, but am actually concerned I have a very unsafe car with 2000 miles on it.
It sounds like you have an unsafe car the way it is. But once repaired it should be perfectly safe again. I would not let this spoil it for me and yes it is unfortunate that it happened to you. Steering racks are usually highly reliable but like all parts made for all cars there will always be one out of spec per so many tens of thousands made. Comment manufacturers are trying to balance a part’s cost vs reliability and try make improvements in both. Generally they seem to be doing a good job of it these days and I would not expect you to have any more issues after a repair.

It also sounds like you have had a bad experience with the dealer’s sales department. They are not usually the best to count on for contacting service. Hopefully you will meet the service manager and his team and start to build a good relationship with them. My dealer takes any negative feedback seriously and the service manager will call me back.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Just bought an Ascent in May 2019. On a hot day, 90,s, while taking a short drive, as I turned right my power steering ceased and numerous lights came on my dash. Once able to pull over, I shut off and restarted car, everything worked. The next day I texted my salesman, who texted me back said Service would contact me. They did not. I also email service dept the same day on dealer website, no acknowledgement they ever received or reviewed my email. About 2 weeks later it happened again while backing up from a parking spot, very warm day hi 90's. I shut car down and PS returned but many lights stayed on dash while driving home. I made an appointment at my dealer, after 1-2 hours of testing, informed me I needed a steering rack and put me in a Cortesy Car. 10 days pass, no part available. After reading this post am wondering if this may be a major problem. Have reviewed Lemon laws, but am actually concerned I have a very unsafe car with 2000 miles on it.
Some percentage of defective parts will always make their way in to a production run for every manufacturer. These are all built requiring precision from each and every part. Major efforts are made by parts suppliers to improve quality control, but no run of a part or assembly is perfect. The loss of steering is scary, dangerous and obviously a pain to address, taking time and messing with our schedules at a minimum. The worst scenario is an accident during the loss. Always move to the side, park call Subaru and ask - demand for the tow and loaner. These vehicles are not designed to drive without power steering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The code associated with my Power Steering failure was c2512 and was resolved by replacing power steering rack. My vehicle was at dealership for a total of 4 days, was given a loaner. Dealership diagnosed the issue on the 2nd day. Ordering the part and the actual repair took another 2 days. After 2.5 weeks and 500 miles, no issues so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing just happen to me yesterday and 2 weeks ago. I will dropping my car off on Monday and hopefully they will find something wrong with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Kcp1925#
Registered

Joined 7 d ago
0 Posts
7 d ago
Power steering problem on 2021 Ascent Dealer looked at it, said it was the rack and pinion, replaced it. Went to pick it up drove it for 3 miles and the same thing happened again. They plan on having a Tech come in from Subaru and send all data to Japan.
This is the 2nd time I have had power steering issues, hopefully they will make it right, and they will do a buy back!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts