Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While taking delivery of my Ascent Limited this week, I noticed the power liftgate was not aligned properly. The gaps are uneven on each side of the liftgate and quite close to the body on one side. I pointed this out to my sales rep and he's since had a service rep call me to schedule an appointment for their nearby body shop to readjust the liftgate. My concern is that putting a wrench on the four bolts along the top of the liftgate will break the rust preventing seal that factory paint provides in that area. I suppose a good body shop realizes this and takes appropriate measures. Does anyone have knowledge on rust development or other issues with these bolts and liftgate brackets if they are adjusted?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
While taking delivery of my Ascent Limited this week, I noticed the power liftgate was not aligned properly. The gaps are uneven on each side of the liftgate and quite close to the body on one side. I pointed this out to my sales rep and he's since had a service rep call me to schedule an appointment for their nearby body shop to readjust the liftgate. My concern is that putting a wrench on the four bolts along the top of the liftgate will break the rust preventing seal that factory paint provides in that area. I suppose a good body shop realizes this and takes appropriate measures. Does anyone have knowledge on rust development or other issues with these bolts and liftgate brackets if they are adjusted?
Got a picture you can share of the issue?

·
Registered
253 Posts
That should not have left the factory that way. I have an Ascent on order and reading of all these little issues is starting to make me worry about their QC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My liftgate only goes up about 6 inches. I reprogram it and when I shut the power off it forgets.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's four shots that show the uneven gaps on the liftgate. They're definitely off by a bit, but I'm not sure if it's worth messing with an adjustment. Just doesn't look great.
Your gaps are definitely off. I would shoot those pictures off to Subaru of America and see what they say. I have a white limited built in June and have even gap spacing. My guess is the jig for installing the hatch was misaligned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your gaps are definitely off. I would shoot those pictures off to Subaru of America and see what they say. I have a white limited built in June and have even gap spacing. My guess is the jig for installing the hatch was misaligned.
A misaligned hatch jig is quite possible. I noticed another Ascent Limited on the dealer lot had the exact same gaping issue on the liftgate. Another Ascent on the lot, a Premium, looked perfect. I've got an appointment with my dealership on Tuesday to adjust the liftgate. They use a local body shop that they assure me does quality work and that all paint/rust prevention measures are addressed as they complete the work. I'd rather get it taken care of now than live with the way it looks for several years. I'll report back with the results.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My liftgate only goes up about 6 inches. I reprogram it and when I shut the power off it forgets.
Okay I had the same issue and was very confused at first.

First open the hatch (the 6 inches)
Now push the gate up to where you want it to be.
Then hold in the open close button until it beeps and that should set the height it opens to.

You also might want to unclick the memory button near the steering wheel just to make sure it is working properly.

Now also hopefully your kids won't play with it later and change the height like mine did freaking me out.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Quality checks?

Here's four shots that show the uneven gaps on the liftgate. They're definitely off by a bit, but I'm not sure if it's worth messing with an adjustment. Just doesn't look great.
What about all the additional quality checks Subaru is supposedly making?
How can they miss this?:nerd:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Following up on my OP; I took our Limited into the dealer for the liftgate alignment issue and they sent it over to their contracted body shop. Three days later I got the vehicle back and they successfully corrected the gapping. Not sure if they adjusted bolts or the motorized strut (linear actuator) to get things lined up. No evidence of painted bolt heads being touched.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As I mentioned before, I do have the same issue. My dealership will look at it next time I see them.

The actuators are working fine. The gate just need to be centered properly by the body shop.

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
As I mentioned before, I do have the same issue. My dealership will look at it next time I see them.

The actuators are working fine. The gate just need to be centered properly by the body shop.

Regards

Greetings!

Finally got my car ready for winter yesterday. I bought rims and Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2 winter tires. I also got some splash guards, and I am happy with the end result.

However, one issue remains and I would like your opinion on it.

The dealer could not fix the alignment of my rear gate, as they claim that they need to know from Subaru Canada, how are they going to proceed to do it. First, I don't sweat the little things, but I was frustrated to say the least. I had made this appointment on October 10, so in my view, they had 6 weeks to figure out a plan.

Of course, I can relate that until they actually see what needs doing from a technician points of view, as it may be more involved that previously thought. I did mention that it's better to be on the safe side, instead of making things worse.

When I got home, I couldn't help thinking; what if I was rear ended and in need to change the rear gate? How would they do it? Is it fair for me to think that, this sounds like more and more from an administrative situation, as supposed to actually find a solution to this issue.

Am I being too picky! Of course, I am the one detailing the car and yes, it bugs me. I always open the gate from inside so I don't have to look at it. (smile) Subaru in my view, failed quality control on this one and so is my dealer,and I did not noticed it while taking delivery.

Now, I am supposed to wait and see what Subaru is willing to do about it. This might be now in the new year also. Should I get on the phone and start making calls and get the ball rolling? I do trust my dealership and have a great relationship with them so far.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Greetings!

Finally got my car ready for winter yesterday. I bought rims and Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2 winter tires. I also got some splash guards, and I am happy with the end result.

However, one issue remains and I would like your opinion on it.

The dealer could not fix the alignment of my rear gate, as they claim that they need to know from Subaru Canada, how are they going to proceed to do it. First, I don't sweat the little things, but I was frustrated to say the least. I had made this appointment on October 10, so in my view, they had 6 weeks to figure out a plan.

Of course, I can relate that until they actually see what needs doing from a technician points of view, as it may be more involved that previously thought. I did mention that it's better to be on the safe side, instead of making things worse.

When I got home, I couldn't help thinking; what if I was rear ended and in need to change the rear gate? How would they do it? Is it fair for me to think that, this sounds like more and more from an administrative situation, as supposed to actually find a solution to this issue.

Am I being too picky! Of course, I am the one detailing the car and yes, it bugs me. I always open the gate from inside so I don't have to look at it. (smile) Subaru in my view, failed quality control on this one and so is my dealer,and I did not noticed it while taking delivery.

Now, I am supposed to wait and see what Subaru is willing to do about it. This might be now in the new year also. Should I get on the phone and start making calls and get the ball rolling? I do trust my dealership and have a great relationship with them so far.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Regards
I would call/email Subaru Corp along with a copy of whatever your dealer has stated in writing. This is a quality control issue. Gaps should be even among panels from center. My guess is that the jig they used on lining up the door panels was off or not checked for tolerance resulting in these off center installs.

You paid/are paying for this, so you should be getting what you paid for. My guess is your dealer isn't doing much leg work. Maybe try another dealer and see what they say. A body shop would adjust the hinge mounts to **** the door over a hit. They would then need to spot paint in that area to seal and protect.

Nothing major since the inner panels are only primer and base coat white paint. They don't have the flake or clear on the no exposes sides. A body shop should make it invisible without issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had this problem as well. Dealer we bought it from basically told me they wouldn't do anything about it. I went to another Dealer's Service Department and after several conversations they dug into the problem and got a solution. They adjusted the Striker and now it is aligned. I still have some difficulty every once in a while with the gate only opening about a foot then stopping. If I push the button on the liftgate it closes, then push again it will open all the way.
Seems like from some of my reading here on the forum there may be a solution via programming the gate? Going to look more into that.

On a side note: We LOVE our Ascent! We had the most snow in Seattle since 1916 a couple weeks ago and I went everywhere, even up closed streets without a problem. Next snowstorm I am driving going to drive for UBER and make some cash when all the Prius are stuck!! LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts