Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery of our new Ascent, I could of course open the lift gate from the external button. AND from inside the car. After a month of ownership, I started fiddling around with the lift gate’s other interior switch, the one to set and record the lift gate’s memory height of opening. Watching You Tube, I could never get it to have the lift open at its widest and stay there permanently, instead of having to somewhat slightly duck underneath it.

MY PROBLEM IS THIS:

Now, when I want to OPEN the lift gate from INSIDE the car, when I push the button, all I hear are 2 BEEPS, and nothing else happens, AND the lift gate remains CLOSED.

Maybe I did something wrong fiddling with the « memory » button?

Thanks if you can help!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Maybe you're not in Park?

Or maybe you set the memory to a minimum height and it's not opening (in which case, open it from outside or manually pull it open, and reset the memory).

Max open still has an extra inch or so that I can push up with my hand.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Are you pushing and HOLDing the button in? (The same as using the button on the Fob) Is the vehicle unlocked? It must be unlocked to be able to use the interior button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I took delivery of our new Ascent, I could of course open the lift gate from the external button. AND from inside the car. After a month of ownership, I started fiddling around with the lift gate’s other interior switch, the one to set and record the lift gate’s memory height of opening. Watching You Tube, I could never get it to have the lift open at its widest and stay there permanently, instead of having to somewhat slightly duck underneath it.

MY PROBLEM IS THIS:

Now, when I want to OPEN the lift gate from INSIDE the car, when I push the button, all I hear are 2 BEEPS, and nothing else happens, AND the lift gate remains CLOSED.

Maybe I did something wrong fiddling with the « memory » button?

Thanks if you can help!
I’m having the same exact issue. Have you been able to figure out a fix?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
  • Car must be in park
  • Will not work if passenger door opened before driver's door (though there may be a fix for this, which I need to test next week)
  • Press and hold button

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
Will not work if passenger door opened before driver's door (though there may be a fix for this, which I need to test next week)
I believe there's a TSB that is designed to "fix" this issue for situations where it's bothering owners.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Yep, you're thinking the same thing as me. I had the TSB performed... but never confirmed that it also resolved the liftgate "issue", so, wanted to test first. My Ascent is in for an oil change and tire rotation in an extended service, so I can get a few days in a 2020 Outback to see what they're like (I'm still active n the Outback FB group, and sometimes in the web forums, so, I wanted some time with one).

If anyone else has had the door unlock TSB performed (the one that allows the passenger door to open without shutting down the normal unlock sequence), then, you can try to replicate the liftgate issue to see if it is fixed too (open passenger door, and see if liftgate works via the button mentioned above).

Otherwise, I will try when I get my car back.

I believe there's a TSB that is designed to "fix" this issue for situations where it's bothering owners.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yep, you're thinking the same thing as me. I had the TSB performed... but never confirmed that it also resolved the liftgate "issue", so, wanted to test first. My Ascent is in for an oil change and tire rotation in an extended service, so I can get a few days in a 2020 Outback to see what they're like (I'm still active n the Outback FB group, and sometimes in the web forums, so, I wanted some time with one).

If anyone else has had the door unlock TSB performed (the one that allows the passenger door to open without shutting down the normal unlock sequence), then, you can try to replicate the liftgate issue to see if it is fixed too (open passenger door, and see if liftgate works via the button mentioned above).

Otherwise, I will try when I get my car back.
I had that TSB performed and just checked the hatch. You can operate it from inside the car even with the passenger door open. I didn' t even know that was an issue as well. I was just annoyed with the way the door locks behaved prior to the TSB.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I had that TSB performed and just checked the hatch. You can operate it from inside the car even with the passenger door open. I didn' t even know that was an issue as well. I was just annoyed with the way the door locks behaved prior to the TSB.
Thanks! Can/did you test with leaving the driver's door closed and opening the passenger door? It's that odd sequence where the passenger door is opened first that messes thing up.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks! Can/did you test with leaving the driver's door closed and opening the passenger door? It's that odd sequence where the passenger door is opened first that messes thing up.
Yes, I tested with the driver's door closed. I had the car on (start button 2x) . First I put it in gear and the hatch didn’t open as expected. Then I put it in park and leaned over to open the passenger door. They interior hatch button functioned perfectly.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Thanks so much!!!

So, for those who want this fixed, it's TSB 07-162-19

Here's the details:

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
Yes, I tested with the driver's door closed. I had the car on (start button 2x) . First I put it in gear and the hatch didn’t open as expected. Then I put it in park and leaned over to open the passenger door. They interior hatch button functioned perfectly.
Were the doors locked already when you started this test?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Were the doors locked already when you started this test?
A qualified "yes". My car is set to lock when put into gear and unlock when the driver's door is open. If the doors start out locked and a passenger decides to get out of the car by pulling on the handle, that leaves all the other doors locked. The interior hatch button won't work this way because all doors need to be unlocked to allow it. This would be regardless of having the TSB performed or not.

All I know is that as long as all doors are unlocked, the interior hatch button will work no matter who opens their door first. I don't know how this behaved prior to the TSB as I was never aware of this particular quirk. I had this performed for a different reason - if the passenger opened thier door before I could open mine, then the back doors would remain locked even after I opened my door. In other words, the setting to automatically unlock all doors when the driver's door is opened would get cancelled if the passenger opened their door first. That was annoying and I'm glad Subaru made a fix for this.

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
All I know is that as long as all doors are unlocked, the interior hatch button will work no matter who opens their door first
THe reason I asked is because this statement quoted is not accurate without the TSB for many of us. I have my vehicle set that both the driver door and the passenger door will unlock the vehicle. If the driver door opens first and triggers the vehicle unlock, the hatch button on the dash works just fine to open the back. If the passenger door opens first, while it triggers all the doors to unlock, the hatch button does not open the back until the unlock button on the driver's door gets pressed, even if the driver door is subsequently opened. This is what the TSB addresses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.