Subaru Ascent Forum banner

361 - 380 of 385 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,042 Posts
For 18” fall/spring/summer (non-winter setup) have people had any warranty issues with using non standard tire height or just adjust the Speedo?
You really cannot readily adjust the speedometer/odometer...you also need a spare that matches your alternative tire diameter, too.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
You can't adjust the speedo, and they can deny certain warranty claims (eg: for certain drivetrain and suspension components) if they deem the larger tires, and added weight, damaged the component.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You really cannot readily adjust the speedometer/odometer...you also need a spare that matches your alternative tire diameter, too.
For those with the COBB AP, does this allow to correct for tire diameter? The SCT and DiabloSport products I've used on other vehicles would allow you to enter tire diameter, final drive, etc in order to correct the speedo. Seems like this would be simple enough to do from a programming stand point??

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
My understanding is that Subaru's code is pretty tight and proprietary, so I"m not sure any app out there can do what you mention, Latapx. I could be wrong about that, however.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put on a set wheels and tires on my Ascent today. Here is the setup.

Black Rhino Sandstorm
Size: 18x8, 5x114.3
Offset: +35
Weight: 28 lbs (Official, but had them on a scale at 26.5)
Load Rating: 2000 lbs.

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
Size: 265/60R18
Weight: 38 lbs.
Load/Speed Rating: 110H

Requires lift kit.

ReadyLIFT SST 2" Lift Kit
SKU: 69-9921
Front/Rear: 1.7"/1.5"

Old:
View attachment 3334

New:
View attachment 3332
View attachment 3333
View attachment 3335
Busaru06, awesome! That is exactly the same set up I planned on. Have you aired down your tires to see if they rub? I'm around a lot of sand and would go down to 20 lbs (maybe 15), but I'm concerned about rubbing at that low tire pressure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put on a set wheels and tires on my Ascent today. Here is the setup.

Black Rhino Sandstorm
Size: 18x8, 5x114.3
Offset: +35
Weight: 28 lbs (Official, but had them on a scale at 26.5)
Load Rating: 2000 lbs.

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
Size: 265/60R18
Weight: 38 lbs.
Load/Speed Rating: 110H

Requires lift kit.

ReadyLIFT SST 2" Lift Kit
SKU: 69-9921
Front/Rear: 1.7"/1.5"

Old:
View attachment 3334

New:
View attachment 3332
View attachment 3333
View attachment 3335
Busaru06. Also wanted to know if you tried installing the 265/60-18 in the spare tire spot. I suspect their is enough circular clearance, correct? However, can the space handle the width of the tire? I suspect it will hang down a little, affecting ground clearance, but probably not much of a problem, especially with the lift kit.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
Even a stock sized tire hangs down somewhat considerably. Any full sized tire needs to be deflated to be stored there. Before I roof rack mounted and then hitch mounted my spare, I snagged my full sized spare on the ground a number of times. Glad it was deflated. There are a lot of off-roading trips I could not have done with it stored there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Busaru06, awesome! That is exactly the same set up I planned on. Have you aired down your tires to see if they rub? I'm around a lot of sand and would go down to 20 lbs (maybe 15), but I'm concerned about rubbing at that low tire pressure.
Thank you. The setup has been great with no issues. Yes, I have aired down to 25 from 35 with no rub. I have only noticed the slightest of scuff rub on passenger front wheel liner from a hard, lock left turn with 30deg lean towards right side with full air. Barely made a sound.

Regarding the spare, it does not fit in the hole. I found it hung to low and the diameter is frustratingly close, but no cigar. I carry the spare in the back on long of road adventures and road trips. It helps to only have 2 other passengers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dang. The rub doesn't bother me, but I really didn't want to place the full-size spare anywhere but underneath. Any insight on whether you think a 255/55-18 would work better in the spare tire space? The diameter is slightly small (2.25%) but at least gets me another 10mm in width. Or, do you think I should stick with a stock 245/60-18 with the Geolandars knowing they will fit (@Robert.Mauro)?

It will be primarily a daily driver, but once every two weeks it may see beach sand, sandy soil, gravel, and on vacations just about anything except rock crawling.

·
Super Moderator
3,042 Posts
The diameter is slightly small (2.25%)
That right there is something you do not want for your spare. It should be the same diameter to avoid drivetrain damage. Subaru's spec is pretty tight on this.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
Or, do you think I should stick with a stock 245/60-18 with the Geolandars knowing they will fit (@Robert.Mauro)?
I'd do this on all five wheels. For 99% of Ascent owners, it's all they need. I do ridiculous things (much of which I probably shouldn't, lol... not joking), so, I went for bigger sidewalls and light truck tires.

Not recommended, unless you like sloppier cornering on the road, more noise, and, worse gas mileage. And, of course, if you DO like those things, well... ya know what to get!!! 😂

Seriously, you'll be more than fine with an 18" setup and matching the OEM 18" tire size. And, it'll be a lot less hassles all around. Heck, ON road, you could even use the donut in a pinch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Jim_in_PA. I didn't intend to use a different size spare, but your comment about mixing tire sizes can never be repeated too often. I was only checking on which is the widest tire size that is close to OEM diam that will fit in spare tire well. With a 255/55-18 I still get a little more sidewall versus OEM size and an additional 10mm in width. But, maybe I'll need to stick with 245/60-18. I plan to use the Primitive Racing lift (lift kit and subframe spacer kit) unless someone says it is a poor choice. I like that Primitive provides progressive King Springs. Comments indicate the springs provide an improvement in ride and handling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd do this on all five wheels. For 99% of Ascent owners, it's all they need. I do ridiculous things (much of which I probably shouldn't, lol... not joking), so, I went for bigger sidewalls and light truck tires.

Not recommended, unless you like sloppier cornering on the road, more noise, and, worse gas mileage. And, of course, if you DO like those things, well... ya know what to get!!! 😂

Seriously, you'll be more than fine with an 18" setup and matching the OEM 18" tire size. And, it'll be a lot less hassles all around. Heck, ON road, you could even use the donut in a pinch.
Thanks. I've had my share of things I shouldn't have done involving vehicles. Still living. No injuries. Never stupid around other drivers. That must count for something. ;) I used to have my own tire/wheel/lighting company in my youth so I've been well-versed on that stuff. Biggest challenge is always figuring out what works on each new vehicle.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
Biggest challenge is always figuring out what works on each new vehicle.
OMG, you know it!!! If it weren't for my friends at @Discount Tire, we wouldn't know about half the fitments that did and didn't work for the Ascent. They're single-handedly responsible for helping me and a couple others test a large number of 17" wheels. Thanks to them, I've got the very first Ascent to be running on 17" wheels and tires. I can't recommend them highly enough!

·
Registered
30 Posts
OMG, you know it!!! If it weren't for my friends at @Discount Tire, we wouldn't know about half the fitments that did and didn't work for the Ascent. They're single-handedly responsible for helping me and a couple others test a large number of 17" wheels. Thanks to them, I've got the very first Ascent to be running on 17" wheels and tires. I can't recommend them highly enough!
I'll be going with DiscountTire. It's also the only place I can get my Black Rhino Sandstorms with either Yoko Geolandars or Toyo Open Country (probably the latter).

For a lesson in history. I had a Saab 900 Turbo (Stage 3 performance), rally lights, lowered suspension, aero enhancements, intercooler, boost. It was about speed and handling, not off-road. Tires were Phoenix Stahlflex 3011 (195/50-15 when the concept of low profile was unheard of) mounted on Epsilon 3-piece (BBS-style wheels). My unsprung weight was almost non-existent. Those tires would collect junk like cigarette butts the way true racing tires do. You could almost make a 90-deg turn at 60mph without losing traction. Good for all of 20,000 miles, but fun the whole time. Ah yes, the stupid times.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
That's great!!! I went from building engines for my and my friends various muscle cars to just driving 2nd hand cars I could afford really cheaply. My car life was pretty simple, though, starting with my 1963 Chevy Biscayne that was popping spark plugs out the straight six due to a cross threaded plug or number of spark plug changes in 500,000 miles, or something, under the previous owner. Ripped out the straight 6 and Powerglide, and dropped in a 70's small block 350 and a TH350 with a custom driveshaft. Next up was a 1965 Chevy Impala SS with a toasted 283, and a 4 speed manual. Built a nice little 350 sb, got new bell housing and hardware to make things mate, and enjoyed the heck out of it...

From there, it's been 5 dozen boring work and personal cars, and nothing too exciting (the most exciting being a 86 Range Rover that had the plethora of problems people complained about - rotting shock towers, chain getting clankier in the transfer case, fuel pump burning itself out, entire brake channel failing, too many electrical problems to list, you name it - is that fun? lol!)...

So, the most fun for me, in recent years, has been my two Subies... and, in the case of the Ascent, figure out its extreme limits. This May, it'll be doing a 5,000 mile round trip drive to Utah, where we will embark on 1,500 miles of off roading and off road overlanding. By then, I hope to have my lift kit completed and installed. I have one last piece to CNC (well, the last piece is so simple, I could just drill-press it...).

I'm currently back at stock height, so, it will be interesting to see how it handles with a 2.2F/2.4R lift. Using my own frame spacers, and then springs from Eibach and strut spacers from Anderson and Subtle (or maybe one set of my own strut spacers).

Interesting tidbit for those following along on my lift kit project...
(sorry, I know I am late on updates in my thread)
Outback suspension bolts are the perfect size to attach the Ascent's rear subframe to the body, when you're running 1" subframe spacers. The reason being, as I mentioned before, stock Outback runs on 1" frame spacers, since it's kinda a lifted Legacy wagon (and stock Ascents don't). 😉

361 - 380 of 385 Posts