Subaru Ascent Forum banner

341 - 360 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts

These are the specs for the OEM tire from the TireRack.com Rim width range is 7.0 - 8.5. This doesn't mean that it can't be done, but like Robert said, its a bit extreme. The OEM tire would be stretched to hell leaving you with a not so great ride and VERY susceptible to sidewall punctures and sidewall damage.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
It's supposedly an ideal size by some size charts, but, tires with thinner sidewalls tend to roll onto themselves around sharp cornering, pulling on the tire bead more. I drive a bit... harshly... so, my needs may not be yours. Most importantly is ensuring your load rating is high enough on your choice of rims. I won't go any lower than 1,800 pounds per rim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's supposedly an ideal size, but, tires with thinner sidewalls tend to roll onto themselves around sharp cornering, pulling on the tire bead more. I drive a bit... harshly... so, my needs may not be yours. Most importantly is ensuring your load rating is high enough on your choice of rims. I won't go any lower than 1,800 pounds per rim.
Gotcha, thank you, yeah they do have a 2000lb load rating.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks... are there any cons if I go for it?
With a stretched tire/sidewall profile, a lot of the "give" in the sidewall will be gone. You will experience a harsher ride in the vehicle. Since there is less give in the sidewall, the sidewall itself will be more prone to damage from potholes, etc.
You'd have this below condition:

Instead of a more traditional mounting:

·
Registered
6 Posts
With a stretched tire/sidewall profile, a lot of the "give" in the sidewall will be gone. You will experience a harsher ride in the vehicle. Since there is less give in the sidewall, the sidewall itself will be more prone to damage from potholes, etc.
You'd have this below condition:

View attachment 11393

Instead of a more traditional mounting:

View attachment 11394
Yikes! That doesnt look good. Thank you.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
Yep, that's my one concern, especially since street tire sidewalls and beads are thinner than what I run, and we don't run very high pressure. Again, technically, it's an appropriate size... but, the Ascent is pretty heavy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is within spec for the tire. It will have a little stretch but not as much as with the 9" wheel.

·
Administrator
9,687 Posts
Are you set on a particular wheel? Many people are selling their stock 20" wheels to get 18's or 17's. You may be able to pick up a true set of OEM wheels for around the same price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you set on a particular wheel? Many people are selling their stock 20" wheels to get 18's or 17's. You may be able to pick up a true set of OEM wheels for around the same price.
I was assuming he has the OEM 20s already and is trying to find a wheel to re-use the original tires...?

OP - any reason you don't want to go with a different tire size instead of running the minimum width for the wheel(s) you're considering? You may be better off that way. Just my opinion though...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looking at OP profile picture...looks like he has 20" wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got 18” wheels and snow tires for the winter and with the black wheels I’m loving the color combo with ice silver metallic. Might actually sell my stock wheels/tires for another set of 18” for summer/fall as well

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you think this same sizing 255/50/20 would work with an A/T tire? from what I've been told, A/T tires run a little bigger because of the tread, IDK, I could be wrong. Thanks in advance.
If I'm not mistaken there is a member on here with 265/60-18, but on a lift.

Reactions: VTO

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bear in mind, the 255/50-20 will be taller than the OEM tire and you will not be able to use the spare...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,042 Posts
If I'm not mistaken there is a member on here with 265/60-18, but on a lift.
A lift doesn't do much of anything for vehicles like this relative to tire size accomodation...265/60-R8 (or 265/50R20) are ~30.6" in diameter and things get "very tight" with both the wheel wells (because of the shape) and the steering and other components. Lifts are also only stretching the suspension, more or less, not actually "lifting" much. Body of Frame vehicles are a whole different story for that!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
14 Posts
For 18” fall/spring/summer (non-winter setup) have people had any warranty issues with using non standard tire height or just adjust the Speedo?

341 - 360 of 385 Posts