Subaru Ascent Forum banner

221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was thinking about downgrading the 20" wheels on my 2019 Limited. I was looking at the Liquid Metal Shadow 18X8 5-114.30 40 BKMTXX matched with some Michelin Defender LTX M/S 245/60R18 tires from Discount Tire. Will these work without rubbing or needing a lift kit?
Yes, they are the same size as the 18" OEM tires. Wheels will be slightly wider with less offset (further out) by very little. It will work. I know nothing of the load rating of the rims, ensure >1800-1850 lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, they are the same size as the 18" OEM tires. Wheels will be slightly wider with less offset (further out) by very little. It will work. I know nothing of the load rating of the rims, ensure >1800-1850 lbs.
Nice! The load rating for them is 1800. I am a rookie when it comes to aftermarket wheels. This will be my first, so I just wanted to check. haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just have one additional concern. I know the stock spare tire is just for temporary emergencies. Just want to make sure it will work with the 18" wheels without jacking anything up.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,284 Posts
I just have one additional concern. I know the stock spare tire is just for temporary emergencies. Just want to make sure it will work with the 18" wheels without jacking anything up.
Great choice of tire...my favorite.

The tires you bought are the same diameter as the tires you had before swapping the wheels. No worries on the spare.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
Tires: Michelin Defender LTX M/S 245/60R18
I'm very interested in hearing your assessment of these over the next few months as you wear them in. I have this exact tire (same size and all) on my Honda Ridgeline. They feel somewhat firm on that vehicle, though it's hard to know if I'm feeling the tires or the suspension.

I suspect this specific size in this tire (Defender LTX M/S) is an OEM tire for somebody, though I'm not sure who. This size's tread depth starts at 10.5/32", compared with 12/32" or 13/32" that is more common in other sizes of this tire. On the plus side, it's a relatively light tire (this is the lighest weight 18" size in this model).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm very interested in hearing your assessment of these over the next few months as you wear them in. I have this exact tire (same size and all) on my Honda Ridgeline. They feel somewhat firm on that vehicle, though it's hard to know if I'm feeling the tires or the suspension.

I suspect this specific size in this tire (Defender LTX M/S) is an OEM tire for somebody, though I'm not sure who. This size's tread depth starts at 10.5/32", compared with 12/32" or 13/32" that is more common in other sizes of this tire. On the plus side, it's a relatively light tire (this is the lighest weight 18" size in this model).
Here are my first impressions just driving home from the store. I originally had the 20" stock wheels and tires. They were definitely more of a performance tire. Tighter handling, quicker response but felt every little bump. With my new setup I notice that the ride was smoother (absorbing small bumps better) and a slight decrease in handling around corners. But not much. I haven't taken them on the highway yet though. I have no doubt these tires will be better when we head up to the mountains and in winter.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,284 Posts
I had the Defenders on my Grand Cherokee that the Ascent replaced. Best. Tires. Ever.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Here are the new wheels and tires! Moved from 20" wheels to 18" wheels.

Wheels: Liquid Metal Shadow 18X8 5-114.30 40 BKMTXX
Tires: Michelin Defender LTX M/S 245/60R18

Huge shout out to Doug from @Discount Tire for helping me get this all setup and answering my questions. He was a big help! (y)

View attachment 4031

View attachment 4032

View attachment 4033

View attachment 4034
I love those rims. They have treated me very well over the years (though I got the 17" version).

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Here are my first impressions just driving home from the store. I originally had the 20" stock wheels and tires. They were definitely more of a performance tire. Tighter handling, quicker response but felt every little bump. With my new setup I notice that the ride was smoother (absorbing small bumps better) and a slight decrease in handling around corners. But not much. I haven't taken them on the highway yet though. I have no doubt these tires will be better when we head up to the mountains and in winter.
Remember to inflate them to 35 psi. The 20" tires were 32-33psi (depending on trim). The 18" require more air. That will firm up the ride a little bit if you're not running at 35 psi already.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remember to inflate them to 35 psi. The 20" tires were 32-33psi (depending on trim). The 18" require more air. That will firm up the ride a little bit if you're not running at 35 psi already.
Yes good call. I made sure to ask Discount before I left. They said they actually inflated them to 37 psi. I rechecked them when I got home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been running on my new wheel/tire combo for ~three days now. Got Method Rally 502s in 17x8 5-114.3 and paired them with Pirelli Scorpion AT+ sized 245/70r17. So far I absolutely love the combination. Road noise increased at low speeds, but not enough to be noticeable to someone that doesn't ride in the car every day.

At high speed, the increase was minimal to negligible. The AT+ has a stiff sidewall compared to other non-LT/XL all-terrains, so I've not noticed any appreciable increase in "mushiness" on various road surfaces, to include winding country roads while driving in what some would call a "spirited fashion." As with Robert's setup, you'll need to have the rim balanced with the weights moved further interior to the wheel. The shop I had mount my setup initially put the weights in the standard location and the second they turned the wheel the brake caliper knocked the weight free. Lastly, in my spirited driving, I managed to elicit a VERY slight rub. I was in a tight corner doing ~25-30, and there was a big bump before the corner straightened out all the way. The initial hit was fine, but when I dropped down on the other side of the bump one of the front wheels rubbed enough to be clearly audible in the cabin. Nothing a lift and slight modification of the wheel well can't fix though.

EDIT: Shout out to Matt with Discount Tire for all the help getting this setup figured out. He's a lifesaver!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Has anyone looked at putting in carbon fiber wheels on their Ascent
CF would be a great weight savings.
Do you have a link to any cf wheels? I’ve mostly seen it on body parts and google didn’t return many options.

·
Registered
137 Posts
CF would be a great weight savings.
Do you have a link to any cf wheels? I’ve mostly seen it on body parts and google didn’t return many options.
I just started researching them a couple days ago after hearing Scotty Kilmer talk about them. He seems to like them warns that they are very expensive. but if they're as good as he says, and help with the weight l reduction that he also claims, then it may actually be beneficial over a few year. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of results, so I think they're probably something that have to be ordered from a performance shop

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
@SA2020 anecdotally I think they’d feel great. I put slightly heavier wheels on my Ascent and I can feel the difference in acceleration and lost some mpg. I assume you’d see the opposite with significantly less weight. I doubt you’d ever recover the cost in gas savings but certainly would give it a cool factor. I did find this

·
Registered
137 Posts
@SA2020 anecdotally I think they’d feel great. I put slightly heavier wheels on my Ascent and I can feel the difference in acceleration and lost some mpg. I assume you’d see the opposite with significantly less weight. I doubt you’d ever recover the cost in gas savings but certainly would give it a cool factor. I did find this
Sweat mother of all things sacred! Those are expensive!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have CF wheels on road and mountain bikes. They're roughly $2000 a set. They provide a high level of cachet, confirmation bias, and endowment effect, and not much else. I expect CF wheels on an Ascent would be similar.

221 - 240 of 274 Posts