Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have CarPlay display the actual text from text messages received vs. just the name of the sender, which requires you touch the screen to have it read to you?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
841 Posts
I've looked at the carplay manual and a couple of YouTube videos and it looks like you have to use the touchscreen or long press the voice command button on the steering wheel and ask Siri to "read new messages".

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah, I believe it's intended to read them to you so you aren't distracted looking at the screen to read.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's OK to glance at a couple of familiar words such as, "OK/Cancel" or "Reply/Cancel" etc. on the screen. Those are "sight" words that are probably recognized more like icons than reading the actual words. A text message is a different story - those take some degree of comprehension.

A quick Google search states that an SMS text can be 918 characters long. I did not bother to research iMessage limits. That's a lot to read while driving. It goes against the objective of CarPlay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.