Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my Ascent has developed a popping noise from the front right wheel area when cornering at speed and when street parking on an upwards hill. For the hill it is specifically making the noise when the right side of the Ascent climbs over a rounded curb. The noise is not 100% reproducible but it is enough to be rather annoying.

I took the Ascent to the dealership today and they were unable to reproduce the noise and they said nothing appeared to be wrong with the suspension after inspecting it. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I should be taking a look at or any ideas as to what other options I have for trying to track this issue down?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 1 week old Ascent made a noise like this yesterday. I was going down hill, turning left and braking. It happened 3 times in a row. I also have the brake grinding when stopping. The car is headed to the dealer Friday. I just hope they can hear it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case this helps anyone that may find this post through searches in the future it seems the sound I was hearing is described in this thread: https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/issue-random-mystery-tock-sound.2907/page-5#post-115431

It seems to not be an actual problem but rather a quirk of the Ascent and the AC system. This would also explain why the dealership was unable to reproduce it as they were turning off the AC system to listen for noises while test driving.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
In case this helps anyone that may find this post through searches in the future it seems the sound I was hearing is described in this thread: https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/issue-random-mystery-tock-sound.2907/page-5#post-115431

It seems to not be an actual problem but rather a quirk of the Ascent and the AC system. This would also explain why the dealership was unable to reproduce it as they were turning off the AC system to listen for noises while test driving.
Yep.

And, mine still does it, but works fine, as my forays into the desert had me grateful for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I wanted to bump this thread as it seems this has actually gotten worse lately. The popping noise is now significantly more reproducible and I have a hill that it is happening on almost every single time. I've tried bringing up to the dealer for the 3rd or 4th time now (with a 20,000+ mile difference between the first complaint and now) and I've still gotten nowhere with them. Each time they either are unable to reproduce it (which is understandable as it does require some specific situations) or say it's something else.

This most recent time they told me it is the "Brake pads making a slight noise while they are moving in the mounting bracket" even though this is a loud pop from only the front right tire and not the left. Why would only one side do this? Are the front left and right brake pads somehow different?

I'm losing my mind trying to fix this issue. This most recent visit the dealership damaged my car and put significant deep scratches in the hood that are still noticeable even after they tried to polish them out. I'm losing hope getting this issue fixed and I'm getting closer and closer to being out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Does anyone have any good dealership recommendations in Massachusetts I could visit? After the damage from my most recent visit and the fact it often takes multiple visits to get issues fixed that have had TSB's for them months before I even bring it up it feels like this dealership is causing me more trouble than the convenience it provides location wise. I've already had to contact Subaru of America once to get the dealership to fix the hood vibration which they had a TSB for as the dealership kept 'adjusting the hood bump stops' and saying it was fixed when a short drive on the highway immediately confirmed it wasn't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is there any good way to confirm it's the AC expansion valve myself? This pop noise is a single loud pop usually when turning full lock or close to full lock with slow maneuvering although it can happen when climbing a hill with one tire as well. I'd happily accept it as just the AC expansion valve and learn to ignore it but I'm concerned that this may actually be something else.

I've definitely heard the AC expansion valve which was multiple smaller pop/pings when turning. In your experience has the AC expansion valve also caused a single loud(er) pop before?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully this is not too short of a time to bump this but I was hoping I could hear back if anyone else has also heard this as a singular loud pop while doing slow maneuvers. I'd definitely be happy to hear that I'm not alone and this is completely normal but I'm not sure if my situation perfectly matches up with the AC expansion valve.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Hopefully this is not too short of a time to bump this but I was hoping I could hear back if anyone else has also heard this as a singular loud pop while doing slow maneuvers. I'd definitely be happy to hear that I'm not alone and this is completely normal but I'm not sure if my situation perfectly matches up with the AC expansion valve.
If possible to do it safely, can you please record it? Sorry, meant to ask you sooner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may be a week or so before I'm in the usual area where it's most frequently reproducible but I will be able to safely record it when I'm there.

Have you ever heard the AC expansion valve as a singular loud pop? I've been driving the car with this noise for over 20,000 miles now so I'm hoping and expecting this isn't any sort of safety issue but it's rather frustrating the dealership keeps blaming different parts and then doing nothing about it.

The dealership unfortunately seems to pay very little to no attention to TSBs as I've had to specifically bring them the TSB numbers for past work. It makes me wonder if it's been this TSB all along: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171078-0001.pdf although this makes it sound like it would happen over any bump or a lot more frequently than just turning at full lock.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
It may be a week or so before I'm in the usual area where it's most frequently reproducible but I will be able to safely record it when I'm there.

Have you ever heard the AC expansion valve as a singular loud pop? I've been driving the car with this noise for over 20,000 miles now so I'm hoping and expecting this isn't any sort of safety issue but it's rather frustrating the dealership keeps blaming different parts and then doing nothing about it.

The dealership unfortunately seems to pay very little to no attention to TSBs as I've had to specifically bring them the TSB numbers for past work. It makes me wonder if it's been this TSB all along: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171078-0001.pdf although this makes it sound like it would happen over any bump or a lot more frequently than just turning at full lock.
Yes, it's possible it's what's noted in that TSB. And, yes, I've heard one louder pop from the expansion valve, but it sounds like the expansion valve (just louder and singular) - if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does make sense and is also what makes me think that this might be something other than the expansion valve given the way it sounds. I'll try to get a recording of the sound in the next week or two. It will also be helpful to have if I end up trying to bring up this issue to a new dealership.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry to double post but I went out and took some pictures using a borescope and it looks like I have a pretty nasty contact point where it's rusting over on the side that's making the noise. To be honest it's hard to tell if it's actually rust or dirt but the other side doesn't have anything like this.

What's more confusing is that this doesn't appear to really match the TSB where the contact marks are going in a different direction. Any thoughts on this? Does this look like something that could just be normal wear?

IMG_006.JPG IMG_009.JPG
(Ignore the date as it's not set correctly)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumping to post another question related to this.

I'm planning on getting a lift kit installed soon and while I had already purchased strut spacers from ADF it is tempting to just get a spring-based lift kit instead. Since spring lift kits seem to have their own downsides (rougher ride, stretching the shocks/struts to their limits, and so on) would it be crazy to just buy the springs mentioned in the https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171078-0001.pdf TSB myself and have them installed when they do the ADF lift kit? I'd love to get rid of this issue (or at least prove that it isn't the springs) and it seems like this wouldn't change the cost to install the lift kit by much.

If I went down this route is there a good site I could buy these springs from that will have the newest versions of them? It looks like they didn't change the part number which makes me concerned that I could just get what I already have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If possible to do it safely, can you please record it? Sorry, meant to ask you sooner.
Having the same noise. Sometime a singular pop sometimes it sounds like a ping pong ball bouncing. Very easy for me to replicate. It happens every time I slow down and turn left into a parking spot. Unfortunately I can now hear the sounds even over the radio at lower to mid volumes. I have a short recording with the singular pop sound four or five times within thirty seconds or so.

I had the front struts replaced about six month ago, and those sounds was accompanied with definite jolts.

Tonight going to run without A/C and see if I can replicate the sounds.

Tried to upload the sound file, but the forum would not let me. Could you inform me how to upload an audio clip?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The ping pong ball sound I believe is the AC expansion valve and completely normal. I'm definitely curious to hear the singular pop though if you find out how to post it as that possibly describes exactly what I am hearing as well. I've also managed to have it happen multiple times in a short period of time. For example: backing up at a tight angle single loud pop, pull forward, back up again single loud pop all within 15-30 seconds of each other.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Having the same noise. Sometime a singular pop sometimes it sounds like a ping pong ball bouncing. Very easy for me to replicate. It happens every time I slow down and turn left into a parking spot. Unfortunately I can now hear the sounds even over the radio at lower to mid volumes. I have a short recording with the singular pop sound four or five times within thirty seconds or so.

I had the front struts replaced about six month ago, and those sounds was accompanied with definite jolts.

Tonight going to run without A/C and see if I can replicate the sounds.

Tried to upload the sound file, but the forum would not let me. Could you inform me how to upload an audio clip?
Easiest is to record a video, and then upload to YouTube, and then share the YouTube link here.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Found this on facebook, this is the popping noise....

Robert M you are everywhere.
That's correct. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, I do try to keep up on every problem anyone's had with their Ascents, and every possible solution. And that's something I couldn't do without all of you. For those following along, I suggested (on the other FB post):
■ TSB 16-120-19, AWD Transfer Clutch Chatter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks like it should be easy to do what the TSB states on my own. I'll give that a shot in the near future and see if it resolves what I've been hearing. I'd say that video is pretty close to how my issue sounds although it seems like theirs is more frequent/easily reproducible than my own which might indicate its something else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts