Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of years of protection using a Ceramic coating but they need to be applied properly and a bit of a pain. They are also expensive and water spots are apparently an issue. I might end up using this on wheels, but I think the sealant should give me at least 6-8 months of protection with 2 coats.

To keep things simple I'm going with a surface prep product like Gyeon Prep or Eraser and a couple applications of Wolfgang WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. I also hear Jescar Power Lock Polymer paint sealant is decent. Anyone use these sealants and if so, what were the results?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Jescar (Menzerna) is the only sealant I will use. It is much more than decent. its going to give you 4-6 months, especially if you double or triple coat on wax afterwards (if you're going through all this trouble, you should). Glass and Ceramic coatings are unnecessary (IMO) unless you're dealing with some really harsh climate conditions or the money and/or effort (if you apply it yourself) are just worth it to you. Subaru paint is cheap, so there is an argument both ways for using an expensive and difficult coating on it. Personally I won't use it on a car unless the vehicle has a clear that's difficult to polish (Merc/Audi) and preventing swirls/love marks is going to save me few hours on the paint correction side. Conversely, I can level the paint on a Subaru in less than a day and have it looking better than when it came out of the factory.

Menzerna also makes the best polish, (IMO), and p21s is my go to for degreasing, and just iso alcohol for post polish cleanup.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jescar (Menzerna) is the only sealant I will use. It is much more than decent. its going to give you 4-6 months, especially if you double or triple coat on wax afterwards (if you're going through all this trouble, you should). Glass and Ceramic coatings are unnecessary (IMO) unless you're dealing with some really harsh climate conditions or the money and/or effort (if you apply it yourself) are just worth it to you. Subaru paint is cheap, so there is an argument both ways for using an expensive and difficult coating on it. Personally I won't use it on a car unless the vehicle has a clear that's difficult to polish (Merc/Audi) and preventing swirls/love marks is going to save me few hours on the paint correction side. Conversely, I can level the paint on a Subaru in less than a day and have it looking better than when it came out of the factory.

Menzerna also makes the best polish, (IMO), and p21s is my go to for degreasing, and just iso alcohol for post polish cleanup.
Good to hear!! I have some 845 wax that i'll be using for additional coats.

Not sure i'm comfortable using an ISO on the paint every time i prep. I might switch to Rustoleum Wax & Tar remover as a safer option or the new Meguiars car wash plus as the has a polish in it which should help in removing all was and sealants

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use a small amount of diluted Iso after i polish just to clean up the oil residue left over from polishing, easier to wipe off real quick than a re-wash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.