• Yes and covered by warranty

• Yes but not covered by warranty

• No

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone -- Has anyone had wheel bearing failure on the Ascent? If so, at what mileage did it occurr?

There are a lot of complaints from Outback owners about this and it appears that Ascent shares the same bearings. Didn't see much upon searching but I feel as though we might since the earliest Ascents will now be approaching the 50k+ miles category.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Not me, and I am at 68,688 miles, including on the beach, in salt water, in the desert, and all over the country. I don't think I've seen more than one bearing failure on an Ascent so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting. I wonder why there are so many outback owners with this issue on the same part but so few Ascents. I wonder if the part used in 2019 Ascents was revised from the original one in 2015 and 2016 outbacks listed as now sharing the same hubs.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
The Ascent is much heavier than the Outback...and the wheel bearings used for the Ascent most likely reflect that. And the Outback 2015 and 2016 are previous generation vehicles, too. MY20 Outbacks are on the Global Platform just like Ascent. Different vehicle entirely.

I will also mention that we've not had any issues with our MY16 Outback Limited with Eyesight. We did have one wheel bearing go bad on the MY11 Outback...at 113K miles but traded it for a MY20 Forester Limited earlier this year without getting it fixed.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Ascent is much heavier than the Outback...and the wheel bearings used for the Ascent most likely reflect that. And the Outback 2015 and 2016 are previous generation vehicles, too. MY20 Outbacks are on the Global Platform just like Ascent. Different vehicle entirely.
Yet they share the exact same hub part.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
'Could have been a bad batch of bearings....beck in 2015/2016... Regardless, it doesn't appear to be an issue for Ascent at all and I've been on this forum for years now.

Reactions: nauticalx

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Yes and no. They are not the exact same hub, as the part was revisioned. We have the newest revision, which hasn't experienced the problems the original one did. 2015-2016 OB/Leggy had the original.

Note the supercession. From the change in part number, I'd guess it was more than a minor change (minor changes usually have one of the trailing letters/numbers changing).

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
@JJ3438 please record your vote at the top of the thread, if you don't mind.

@nauticalx his/hers is the one incident I told you I knew about. It's mentioned here:

I suspect the first issue was actually brakes, considering the direction the dealership was going, but, we never heard back on the final resolution. So, you can count that or not... but, good news is, it's still very rare. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone -- Has anyone had wheel bearing failure on the Ascent? If so, at what mileage did it occurr?

There are a lot of complaints from Outback owners about this and it appears that Ascent shares the same bearings. Didn't see much upon searching but I feel as though we might since the earliest Ascents will now be approaching the 50k+ miles category.

Thanks!
Got mine just replaced (front right). 2020 Ascent Limited with around 12.3K miles.

They replaced the front hub unit (part #: 28373AN00A) and got a new nut (part #:902170049).

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Got mine just replaced (front right). 2020 Ascent Limited with around 12.3K miles.

They replaced the front hub unit (part #: 28373AN00A) and got a new nut (part #:902170049).
Don't forget to record your vote. That's two, so far (the other person, above, didn't record their vote).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, we have a wheel bearing failure(s) as of this past Friday 2/26. 2019 Ascent Limited with 56k miles, not one wheel but the rear 2 wheels. As I sat there waiting for the dealer to put in new wheel bearing units, there now is a bigger problem, the wheel bearings on both wheels are seized in place. So now they need to replace the knuckles and the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes, we have a wheel bearing failure(s) as of this past Friday 2/26. 2019 Ascent Limited with 56k miles, not one wheel but the rear 2 wheels. As I sat there waiting for the dealer to put in new wheel bearing units, there now is a bigger problem, the wheel bearings on both wheels are seized in place. So now they need to replace the knuckles and the wheel bearings.
The hub assembly is stuck on the knuckle? or are they trying to separate the hub assembly?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
108 Posts
'Could have been a bad batch of bearings....beck in 2015/2016... Regardless, it doesn't appear to be an issue for Ascent at all and I've been on this forum for years now.
It is my belief that a bad batch of bearings was the problem. My wife and I had a 2014 Forester and 2015 Outback back then. The Forester experienced a bad rear D/S bearing at abut 9,000 miles. The Outback experienced a bad rear D/S at 2,000 miles and then again at about 24,000. After the second replacement of the bad bearing in the Outback, it never happened again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The hub assembly is stuck on the knuckle? or are they trying to separate the hub assembly?
Yes, the hub assembly was stuck on the knuckle. They showed me the hub looked as though it was welded on the knuckle. They tried to break it free using an air hammer with no luck, this was on both rear wheels. So they decided to order knuckles and the hub assemblies and go from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts