Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBCode not working so It won't go "inline" like I wanted but if it does in the future this might look more normal.

Anyways got tired of things sliding around! *Grumpy old man*

I remember our Tribeca had a nice styrofoam tray in the back so I picked up some pluck foam.

Test fit

Getting started

One down

La Fin. Need a ball for the new drop insert but we'll get there.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Brilliant!!! I used to own that same tow strap, btw. Got some great use of out it.

Now to buy some pluck foam!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant!!! I used to own that same tow strap, btw. Got some great use of out it.

Now to buy some pluck foam!!!
Pulled a few trucks out of the snow with my Tribeca and old WRX with it!

BTW I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNPGRNJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shipping was high but I liked the denser foam bottom. I haven't road tested it yet but it can't be worse than it was. Will probably get a few more to put the other things in.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Awesome idea!

·
Registered
303 Posts
that's a good idea! I just have a flex-head socket wrench (with the appropriate long 3/4" socket on there), an emergency med kit, and a set of jumper cables so far in that compartment.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
@zulater, here's a little tip someone else taught me. Grab a couple cans of Plasti-Dip and spray the heck out of the finished pick and pluck. It kinda melts into it preventing it from falling apart on the tear lines.

I do that for my gear cases to keep the foam intact where I want it to be.

Alas, it's a PITA to change configurations once it's sprayed, so, I definitely learned I needed to get it exactly how I wanted it before spraying it with the Plasti-Dip.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@zulater, here's a little tip someone else taught me. Grab a couple cans of Plasti-Dip and spray the heck out of the finished pick and pluck. It kinda melts into it preventing it from falling apart on the tear lines.

Alas, it's a PITA to change configurations once it's sprayed, so, I definitely learned I needed to get it exactly how I wanted it before spraying it with the Plasti-Dip.
Interesting. I’ll have to give it a go when I am ‘done’ lol

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Premium Member
565 Posts

Interesting. I’ll have to give it a go when I am ‘done’ lol
Just be sure to put a Prop 65 sticker on that if you're in Cali :devil:

·
Registered
411 Posts
how much work is there to really do this? I'm a novice when it comes to a lot of things (except computers) . I love the idea though. I have an Anderson 4" drop hitch that I used on my Jeep, so this one will definitely be coming with. I will probably keep most of the "emergency" things in that cargo area

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
how much work is there to really do this? I'm a novice when it comes to a lot of things (except computers) . I love the idea though. I have an Anderson 4" drop hitch that I used on my Jeep, so this one will definitely be coming with. I will probably keep most of the "emergency" things in that cargo area
Ridiculously simple. You just have to take your time to carefully rip out each little square of foam from where you want to put your hitch or other accessories, so you don't accidentally rip out adjacent squares.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ridiculously simple. You just have to take your time to carefully rip out each little square of foam from where you want to put your hitch or other accessories, so you don't accidentally rip out adjacent squares.
This.
Took me 5 minutes?

I lay what I want in and wiggle my fingers down to separate the foam squares from each other then take them out in chunks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the depth of that hidden cargo area in the back? (My Ascent hasn't been delivered yet.)
I'd have to go re-measure but I think 5 inches?

Reactions: JohnV11

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There was a discussion on another forum about pluck (soft) vs kaizen (rigid) foam. Bottom line is that the kaizen foam should be use for these application, heavy stuff.

I use both types for electronic equipment and tools

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think if I were to redo it I would buy a big block of foam and cut it out. What I have is working great but it would be nice to cover the entire cargo area with one piece

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone liked the original post so I thought of an update.

This set of foam has not really held up well. It works fine but after having to put on a spare tire a couple times the bottom harder foam is separating from the pluck foam. I'd probably think about plasti-dip or something on the pluck foam to harden it up or cut it from some denser Styrofoam.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Someone liked the original post so I thought of an update.

This set of foam has not really held up well. It works fine but after having to put on a spare tire a couple times the bottom harder foam is separating from the pluck foam. I'd probably think about plasti-dip or something on the pluck foam to harden it up or cut it from some denser Styrofoam.
So far, I have found Plasti-Dip works well for not horrendously heavy things. I use it for a 30 pound computer and a 70 pound printer.

But, there's probably other rubberized coatings what would work better by providing a thicker layer off the bat. At the least, it would be easier because it wouldn't require numerous layers to get the same working thickness.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Probably overkill, but If anyone wants to take it one step further case club in Anaheim, CA will custom cut foam to your specs.

I basically dropped off what I needed, they measured and sold me a Pelican Case with custom foam cutouts fit for what I needed. ( 27” iMac location photography tethering kit with about 7 additional items perfectly cut to size)

https://www.caseclub.com

Might be a good spot for raw materials research. For heavy items like that a closed cell foam might be a better bet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is the best idea so far. I used some rug padding (to prevent slipping) that I had on hand. Nothing is more annoying than having a new car and hearing stuff sliding back and forth as you turn.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts