Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Subaru,
My wife's new 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring Model has been held captive at Peninsula Subaru in Bremerton, WA for 6 weeks, undriveable, with transmission problems. While we did not purchase this particular vehicle there, we have purchased 2 there in the past and felt that they would be able to address our transmission issues. In the past 3 weeks, after weeks of their troubleshooting, I've been told that the replacement transmission was in and would be installed by April 1. On April 3 I was told the transmission finally came in and that it would be installed by April 5, did not receive an update. I contacted the dealership and left a message to speak to the GM to ask for assistance - I have not heard from him. My wife left work and went to the dealership in person today to ask about the status of her car and also to get a copy of all the paperwork of repairs and/or troubleshooting that has been performed and was told that the "transmission finally showed up" and that they would have it by Thursday if there weren't any problems. I have called SOA (was given a case number) and since contacting them a few weeks ago, I have been handed off to 2 other reps, the last of whom was supposed to be in contact with us with a resolution by April 10. I have tried contacting the rep multiple times, to no avail and we're just left here in silence, floundering. I figure that with the equity we surrendered with our trade-in 2016 Outback (got $19K, easily could have sold at retail for $24K) and all of the insurance payments and car payments on a vehicle that doesn't seem to exist, plus being held hostage waiting by the phone for calls that never come - we're down ~$7000! What complicates the matter is that we aren't your average customers, which makes this SO MUCH more stressful - we live 4 miles off-road on a small farm and the dealership is over an hour and a half away. Even the loaner 2019 base model Forester is having issues like severe transmission shudder while at highway speeds. What happened to the awesome Subaru customer service I have been so used to since 2001 when I bought my WRX Wagon? My wife loved her Outback, the only reason she traded it in for what she did is for the Ascents towing capability. She now, to say the least, has lost faith in the Subaru brand and wants to buy a Toyota. We can't get a resolution if we can't even speak with anyone - I have no direct emails or phone numbers and I think even if I did, it wouldn't do any good. We feel helpless and taken advantage of; what else can we do???

·
Registered
646 Posts
Unfortunately you may just have to wait it out. Check your lemon-laws etc if you want out. There have been many taken care of quickly and there have been a handful that have gone through zero communication. I had this zero communication but not for a transmission issue. It's pretty frustrating and I can relate somewhat as my car was still operational.

·
Registered
978 Posts
There does seem to be a trend developing here. SOA goes quiet when they can’t deliver. Lemon Law isn’t quicker and if I had to do that I’d buy a different brand. The CVT probably hasn’t arrived at the dealer as promised leaving the dealer holding the bag of umm crap per say.

If you don’t see your self sticking with Subaru get the Lemon law paper work going. Given your remote location you probably won’t trust it anyway.

Yeah Subaru hasn’t been handling these well. And at this point they should have a strike team specifically supporting customers and dealers with failed cvts.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Subaru's resounding succes with the Ascent also makes sourcing parts difficult. I imagine they have a CVT shortage so are having trouble getting the replacement trans in. It is unfortunate that they aren't been more upfront about that. Call them and say you'd rather know the truth rather than be blown off if they want to retain a customer.

When I got my Ascent it took 2 months to get my 2nd row sunshades in. Obviously not nearly as pressing as your CVT.

That said, if you do get your CVT sorted I think you'll be pleased. I use mine for towing all the time and it does really well, even with a 4,750lb load!

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I wonder what next steps the Subaru dealers on this forum would suggest.
Each state has a variety of different laws that govern such things. Each dealership is an independently owned entity and Subaru licensee/franchisee. They're likely to have no input on a different company (different dealership) owned by someone else in what's most likely a different state. :sad:

But, who knows?

One thing I would suggest is to email that letter to SoA, since, it's not likely they're reading every single post in this rather large forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear Subaru,
My wife's new 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring Model has been held captive at Peninsula Subaru in Bremerton, WA for 6 weeks, undriveable, with transmission problems. While we did not purchase this particular vehicle there, we have purchased 2 there in the past and felt that they would be able to address our transmission issues. In the past 3 weeks, after weeks of their troubleshooting, I've been told that the replacement transmission was in and would be installed by April 1. On April 3 I was told the transmission finally came in and that it would be installed by April 5, did not receive an update. I contacted the dealership and left a message to speak to the GM to ask for assistance - I have not heard from him. My wife left work and went to the dealership in person today to ask about the status of her car and also to get a copy of all the paperwork of repairs and/or troubleshooting that has been performed and was told that the "transmission finally showed up" and that they would have it by Thursday if there weren't any problems. I have called SOA (was given a case number) and since contacting them a few weeks ago, I have been handed off to 2 other reps, the last of whom was supposed to be in contact with us with a resolution by April 10. I have tried contacting the rep multiple times, to no avail and we're just left here in silence, floundering. I figure that with the equity we surrendered with our trade-in 2016 Outback (got $19K, easily could have sold at retail for $24K) and all of the insurance payments and car payments on a vehicle that doesn't seem to exist, plus being held hostage waiting by the phone for calls that never come - we're down ~$7000! What complicates the matter is that we aren't your average customers, which makes this SO MUCH more stressful - we live 4 miles off-road on a small farm and the dealership is over an hour and a half away. Even the loaner 2019 base model Forester is having issues like severe transmission shudder while at highway speeds. What happened to the awesome Subaru customer service I have been so used to since 2001 when I bought my WRX Wagon? My wife loved her Outback, the only reason she traded it in for what she did is for the Ascents towing capability. She now, to say the least, has lost faith in the Subaru brand and wants to buy a Toyota. We can't get a resolution if we can't even speak with anyone - I have no direct emails or phone numbers and I think even if I did, it wouldn't do any good. We feel helpless and taken advantage of; what else can we do???

I am not an attorney, so I am only speaking based on my experience rather than offering legal advice. If your Ascent has been out of service for 30 or more consecutive days, it appears under Washington law that it qualifies as a lemon (https://www.atg.wa.gov/lemon-law-0). I am in California, and our lemon law has similar criteria. I invoked my lemon law rights with SOA on a 2017 Forester that was at my dealer's service department for 8 weeks. All I had to do was call SOA and tell them I wanted them to look into repurchasing my vehicle under the lemon law. They noted that and responded to me after one week to offer repurchase at the price I paid minus usage, but when factoring in registration costs that they have to reimburse me for, I am almost breaking even. I took them up on the offer and now have an Ascent on order that will arrive in a couple of weeks. In your case, if you are happy with having an Ascent, you should ask for replacement, but it sounds like your wife may be targeting a Toyota, so in that case, ask for repurchase. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. Read your state’s lemon law.

2. Send registered letters to Subaru North America documenting lemon law applicable issues.

I’m dealing with Eyesight issues. Colorado has one of the worst lemon laws. Those registered letters are very important if lemon law related problems are not fixed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Been there, done that. We ended up with a replacement Ascent in the end but it was a Dec-Late March ordeal. Our new car has been great and in the end Subaru took care of us well.

My suggestions, reach out to a senior representative, have the service manager initiate a case for you if you haven’t already.

Speak with a lemon law attorney for the state you purchased your vehicle.

File a complaint with the BBB, even better if your state participated in the BBB auto line.

We never got a direct phone or email to our representative at SOA, but the dealership had that info and we found it easier to go in and have them call when we needed movement. We like you live over an hour to a dealership. It’s a very frustrating process but in the end Subaru made things right for us!

Best of luck to you!

·
Banned
71 Posts
1. Read your state’s lemon law.

2. Send registered letters to Subaru North America documenting lemon law applicable issues.

I’m dealing with Eyesight issues. Colorado has one of the worst lemon laws. Those registered letters are very important if lemon law related problems are not fixed.
Hey you get to vote- look into better lemon laws

1 - 10 of 10 Posts