Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
People still pay for Sirius XM? With unlimited data plans pretty much common now (yes, I understand there are a few places that have terrible service, but that's pretty rare) why would anyone pay for the pleasure of being told what they can listen to?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
People still pay for Sirius XM?
The Sirius XM weather alerts are complimentary on most Ascents for the first three years. It's part of the TravelLink package that's bundled with the vehicle.

I don't disagree with you about the audio service, however...'never liked the horrible sound quality and why pay for something I can bring with me anyway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Sirius XM weather alerts are complimentary on most Ascents for the first three years. It's part of the TravelLink package that's bundled with the vehicle.
I didn't know this. Since I bought the car I just immediately plug in my phone so I've never noticed it. I think the radio is still tuned to whatever it was when I bought it

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Yea, one of the goodies included. I turned off the weather alerting because it's annoying and I get the severe ones on my phone anyway. The weather screen in the upper dash display also comes from this service and has been somewhat useless for me because the location isn't very granular...it chooses Princeton NJ even though I'm in SE PA just above Philadelphia. The weather service on my iPhone is right to my zip code.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People still pay for Sirius XM?
Nope. The incorrect notifications are complimentary, and show up multiple times on a 10 minute trip.

I turned off the weather alerting because it's annoying and I get the severe ones on my phone anyway.
While these are annoying, and wrong in this case, I have yet to see any of these messages appear on a phone broadcast.

If the quality of the broadcasts continues to degrade to warn about days that don't exist, we'll likely disable this "feature" as well.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
628 Posts
I pay for Siriusxm, partly because the wife wants it. Heck of a lot easier for Siriusxm to play than her farting with her phone each time. Plus, that means I'd have to fart with my phone when driving it and without her if I wanted some good background music.

Also, we have her on Ting which means no unlimited data. And most do not offer true unlimited data, they throttle. Plus side is cell phone bill for her + our kid is less than $50 combined. Neither of them use or need data which would justify unlimited plans.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
I had Sirius XM for about 2 years with my Outback. I actually really liked it.

Then, Verizon started offering Apple Music for free in my cell plan. It was hard to beat free.

I do prefer XM's "channels" over Apple and hence I find XM slightly more enjoyable. That is my personal taste. Again though, "free" continues to win me over.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had Sirius XM for about 2 years with my Outback. I actually really liked it.

Then, Verizon started offering Apple Music for free in my cell plan. It was hard to beat free.

I do prefer XM's "channels" over Apple and hence I find XM slightly more enjoyable. That is my personal taste. Again though, "free" continues to win me over.
Free has a way of always winning out

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
While these are annoying, and wrong in this case, I have yet to see any of these messages appear on a phone broadcast.
I can't comment on Android, but on iOS, public alerts can be enabled and disabled in the settings application. They are at the bottom of the Notifications screen where you control notifications for various applications and there are three areas...AMBER Alerts, Emergency Alerts and Public Safety Alerts.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't comment on Android, but on iOS, public alerts can be enabled and disabled in the settings application. They are at the bottom of the Notifications screen where you control notifications for various applications and there are three areas...AMBER Alerts, Emergency Alerts and Public Safety Alerts.
I cannot overstate this, @Jim_in_PA , the alerts did not appear. Two different phones, iPhone, Android (Verizon, TMobile respectively).

·
Registered
685 Posts
I pay for Siriusxm, partly because the wife wants it. Heck of a lot easier for Siriusxm to play than her farting with her phone each time. Plus, that means I'd have to fart with my phone when driving it and without her if I wanted some good background music.
There seems to be a lot of farting in the car here. Roll down the windows and listen to nature instead

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts

Also, we have her on Ting which means no unlimited data. And most do not offer true unlimited data, they throttle. Plus side is cell phone bill for her + our kid is less than $50 combined. Neither of them use or need data which would justify unlimited plans.
There seems to be a lot of farting in the car here. Roll down the windows and listen to nature instead
The Country music will still play with the windows rolled down ;) Change the station to some good classic Rock ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
I cannot overstate this, @Jim_in_PA , the alerts did not appear. Two different phones, iPhone, Android (Verizon, TMobile respectively).
Strange....I'm on T-Mo and get them no issue if I happen to turn them on. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
2 of my laptops at home, this one in fact thinks today is 12/1. My surface pro4 and my other devices which are all 2-ish years old or less have no issues. But older devices (except the galaxy Tab 4) are all slow today, they all must have had some 11/31 hardship.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Strange....I'm on T-Mo and get them no issue if I happen to turn them on. :)
Now, don't get me wrong - if there's a loose dog 400 miles north of me running around on the freeway, I get notifications on my phones, tablets, refrigerator, and even laundry machine.

Can't be too careful out here in CA.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Now, don't get me wrong - if there's a loose dog 400 miles north of me running around on the freeway, I get notifications on my phones, tablets, refrigerator, and even laundry machine.
Is anyone else born from say---1965 to 2005 having notification overload right now? I got (7) notifications from little B's middle school today. On top of the (4) I received yesterday. All backed up by emails as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Is anyone else born from say---1965 to 2005 having notification overload right now? I got (7) notifications from little B's middle school today. On top of the 4 I received yesterday. All backed up by emails as well.
Yep. My kids’ school reports any confirmed cases in any school in the county to all parents...by push notification, email, text, AND phonecall+voicemail if you don’t answer. Then there’s the extra newsletters they feel are necessary now, delivered the same way. Yay 2020

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I didn't know this. Since I bought the car I just immediately plug in my phone so I've never noticed it. I think the radio is still tuned to whatever it was when I bought it
Three years complimentary. Phone weather is better, since it's more specific (geographically).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts