Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any battery issues listening to the radio while parked? I often sit parked with the engine off for 30-40min at a time listening to the radio in my Camry. Will I have any issues doing that with an Ascent?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Any battery issues listening to the radio while parked? I often sit parked with the engine off for 30-40min at a time listening to the radio in my Camry. Will I have any issues doing that with an Ascent?
I haven't so far.

If I am doing it for an extended time though, I either let the car turn off or turn it off, then double tap the start button with my foot OFF the brake to turn on accessory only mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't so far.

If I am doing it for an extended time though, I either let the car turn off or turn it off, then double tap the start button with my foot OFF the brake to turn on accessory only mode.
Yes, Basically what I am asking is can you run the radio on accessory mode for 30-40min.
I am still shopping/comparing vehicles. Over on the Odyssey forum there were some complaints about dead batteries after less than 10min.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Yes, Basically what I am asking is can you run the radio on accessory mode for 30-40min.
I am still shopping/comparing vehicles. Over on the Odyssey forum there were some complaints about dead batteries after less than 10min.
I do it for longer than ten minutes most nights when I get home from work, and have done it for considerably longer on occasion.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Should be fine, what trim do you have?

I’d imagine you can go 2hrs and still have enough juice to start the car. Assuming the oem battery isn’t junk (like mine) and you have 40ah to work with.

I tried turning off the screen when parked to save electricity but it just makes it black, not completely off.

Besides the radio, the most power hungry items are the incandescent bulbs in my interior (prefer them for the warm color temp)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Excellent question, since this is something that you cannot do in the Outback. The battery in the Outback is so undersized that accessory mode usage depletes the battery in less than 15 minutes...on a Friday night, waiting in a school parking lot for the play to let out before a snow storm arrives......ask me how I know....

·
Registered
334 Posts
I often sit in parks listening to a book on a USB stick. This requires me to turn on ACC mode. I also have a battery monitor plugged in to the front outlet. It does deplete it but even after a half hour or so, I've still not had issues restarting the car. I did with my first Ascent battery, though. Had multiple issues. Took it in and the battery was defective and/or leaking. The replacement has been good so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts