Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted Subaru of America and asked them what the placement of the USB ports would be. They responded accordingly:

The 2019 Ascent (base) and Premium models will be offered with 4 USB ports. Two in the front center console and two in the rear center console. The 2019 Ascent Limited and Touring models will come with those 4 USB ports and 2 more on the right side of the third row of seats.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would guess one in the glove box when you are looking at the owners manual and one in the engine bay so you listen to tunes while working on the turbo.:grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to geek out a little further, does anyone know the *current* (in amps) of the USB ports? Nothing's more disappointing than plugging in a device and seeing "charging slowly", then having to use an adaptor through the cigarette/power port anyway...defeating the whole purpose of the USB port. (I'm in a 2014 Nissan Frontier rental right now, and the USB doesn't have enough juice for me to use my phone and keep it charged at the same time)

Usually, 1.5A is enough to charge most anything and still use it, without he battery dying. Newer phones and tablets can take up to 3A.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just to geek out a little further, does anyone know the *current* (in amps) of the USB ports? Nothing's more disappointing than plugging in a device and seeing "charging slowly", then having to use an adaptor through the cigarette/power port anyway...defeating the whole purpose of the USB port. (I'm in a 2014 Nissan Frontier rental right now, and the USB doesn't have enough juice for me to use my phone and keep it charged at the same time)

Usually, 1.5A is enough to charge most anything and still use it, without he battery dying. Newer phones and tablets can take up to 3A.
According to the website 2.1 amps

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Hey all, I am looking at the installation manual for the additional USB ports.

GET THEM DEALER INSTALLED!!!

You'll need the Service Manual along with the installation instructions, and you'll be removing the third row seat, one side's worth of sill plates, interior side panels in the third row, front panels and more.

Or, if you like that sort of thing, the parts and installation guide will probably become available at some time for ordering and purchase from your local parts counter.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey all, I am looking at the installation manual for the additional USB ports.

GET THEM DEALER INSTALLED!!!

You'll need the Service Manual along with the installation instructions, and you'll be removing the third row seat, one side's worth of sill plates, interior side panels in the third row, front panels and more.

Or, if you like that sort of thing, the parts and installation guide will probably become available at some time for ordering and purchase from your local parts counter.
Saw this too. Kind of a pain to install. Why didn’t they make it more plug and play? I know I know : cost.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Saw this too. Kind of a pain to install. Why didn’t they make it more plug and play? I know I know : cost.
lol, I think part of it was about where they could safely run the wires with a gazillion airbags in the car. Once it's past the airbags, it's relatively straightforward, including with the holes already there for the sockets and simply capped (thus saving $$$ on new panels or work on cutting existing ones).

I guess the only other thing they could do was add the extra wires/harness, disconnected on both ends - but, OTOH, that'd be a potential hazard if someone plugged in the front end. I guess they could cap the end in the back. It doesn't seem a lot of people have shown interest for it, so, it does seem a sensible cost savings to not put in wiring that almost no one will use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts