Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I live in Colorado and I have about 3200 miles on my Ascent. All of the chrome parts are pitted and blemished, probably due to the Magnesium Chloride they use as snowmelt on the roads. It's just not practical to wash the car every day in the winter.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions on what to do? I tried to polish out the blemishes, but they are permanent. This is affecting the chrome on the front grill, at the bottom of the doors, and on the back.

I'm bummed that my new car looks so bad already.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Can you post pics? The edges of the grill chrome are intentionally "pitted" (dunno why) and come that way from the factory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely not factory. There are little black specks all over the chrome. Here are a couple of pictures near the tail lights (upside down, apparently).

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
It's definitely not factory. There are little black specks all over the chrome. Here are a couple of pictures near the tail lights (upside down, apparently).
Sans something a lot harsher than road salt hitting it, I'd think that looks like an application defect. Mine looks fine, and the salt spots wiped right off very easily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m also in Colorado, I had that happen this past winter also. I go up to the mountains a couple of times a week skiing, and it seem to happen when I’m on I70. I hand wash my car every week, it’s never been through a car wash. My chrome didn’t pit, but it looked like rust spots. I was able to remove it by using Adams polish and then apply wax. It also happened on my 2015 GMC Sierra.Hopefully you will be able to get your issue resolved.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m also in Colorado, I had that happen this past winter also. I go up to the mountains a couple of times a week skiing, and it seem to happen when I’m on I70. I hand wash my car every week, it’s never been through a car wash. My chrome didn’t pit, but it looked like rust spots. I was able to remove it by using Adams polish and then apply wax. It also happened on my 2015 GMC Sierra.Hopefully you will be able to get your issue resolved.
Yes, they look like rust spots. I can feel them. Maybe they're raised instead of pits. I'll pick up some Adam's polish and try that. Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, they look like rust spots. I can feel them. Maybe they're raised instead of pits. I'll pick up some Adam's polish and try that. Thanks.
Before you try polish since polish has abrasives in it, get your self some chemical iron remover.

I use Iron-X on my white Ascent. (It smells terrible as its working. Also wear gloves.) A 1 liter bottle gets me three treatments on the Ascent.

Wash your car first then apply Iron-X to the entire car. Let it sit for a few minutes and you will see all the Iron particles dissolve.

Once your done rinse you car and possibly wash it again. For stubborn spots get yourself a clay bar to remove the remaining particles.

Polish will work, but since it does have some abrasive it has the possibility of picking up particles and scuffing/marring the trim if the area isn't already clean.

Those particles are break dust that gets embedded and then rust over the winter because of the road salt treatment. Most dark car owners don't notice them, but on a white car or chrome they look awful.

The rear hatch of the Ascent gets lots of brake dust/dirt so it is going to be the most contaminated area.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Iron-X is good. But you're paying for the fancy packaging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts