Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of a pinstripe on their Ascent that you can post? I would love to see it. I am getting one put on Thursday because I have a paint chip and small dent from landscapers kicking up a rock. The pinstripe perfectly will cover the paint chip.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't cover it....you'll be chasing dents and scratches till no end:)

I covered a dent on my Legacy with a bug shield:) a few weeks later and dump truck passed by dented the door and took the door panel off and pushed the dent out and fixed the paint.....then someone nailed my side mirror in the parking lot and cracked the cover. Bought new cover and painted it and then rear bumper was scuffed. I gave up and wouldn't you know if i'm going on 5 years and not another scratch:)

Ascent already has crease in rear bumper and tail gate and small moon shaped paint chip....i'm not fixing any of them. My door pillar covers also have weird white haze on all doors in the same spot...whatever.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I got the gold/silver pinstripe and door edge guards for free at my dealership. Took them 20 minutes to do. I love it and think it makes the car.

What dealer did you buy your Ascent from?

We've bought a bunch of off lease subaru's from the east coast and it seems like they always have this pinstripe lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm not a pinstripe fan but that does not look bad at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got the gold/silver pinstripe and door edge guards for free at my dealership. Took them 20 minutes to do. I love it and think it makes the car.
Are those door edge guards the Subaru version, or just something your dealer had that matched your paint? I thought the Subaru versions were smaller.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What dealer did you buy your Ascent from?

We've bought a bunch of off lease subaru's from the east coast and it seems like they always have this pinstripe lol
I bought the Ascent from Subaru of Cherry Hill in a New Jersey. Mine is also a lease.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are those door edge guards the Subaru version, or just something your dealer had that matched your paint? I thought the Subaru versions were smaller.
I think they're Subaru's. I got it installed at the Subaru dealership that I leased the Ascent from. The guy that put the pinstripe on also put the door edge guards on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone had the pinstripe added after purchase? What did the dealer charge?

We have the ivory interior and I saw a lot of Ascents with the white pinstripe and ivory interior when we were shopping. I really want to add the pinstripe and like the Subaru double one with some sort of Subaru detail on it [I don't recall what it was but it was small and subtle]. On the other hand it might be a lot cheaper to get it done elsewhere.

Also, I'm going to repeat the request for a photo of the Subaru pinstripe that someone made above, because the pic that was posted is no longer visible. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Pinstripes are always a high-profit dealer install...and pricing is local as they often subcontract that kind of work. If you really want that look, you might consider finding an independent contractor to do the work, likely for less than the dealer will charge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Took possession of MY2021 Ascent Limited this past weekend and used a hairdryer and fingernail to remove driver's side pinstripe last night. Looks much better! There is a lot of residue left, so I'm picking up some Goo Gone this afternoon. Other than a wash afterward, is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to wax where the pinstripe once was? Ascent is Crystal Black Silica. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Pinstripes that are tape/vinyl should be relatively easily removable. Old-school painted...not so much...

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pinstripes that are tape/vinyl should be relatively easily removable. Old-school painted...not so much...
It's vinyl. Like I wrote, a hair dryer and fingernail did the trick (though it took a while—30min for one side of the Ascent). My main question is do I need to wax afterward? Vehicle is brand new.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
It's unlikely there is any wax on it now, so wax if you prefer. I have not waxed a vehicle in decades, but some folks like to do it frequently.
GooGone will get rid of any residue, BTW.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What do ya'll think about this pinstripe? I asked the dealer to find me a 2021 that had everything my 2019 had, except for the dent-guards on the doors (I wasn't a fan of how the factory dent-guards looked but it came with the package on my 2019). It took 3 weeks for them to finally get me a car (chip issue, they said), and this is what I picked up yesterday -- everything I wanted plus it has pinstripes.

It's been decades since I've owned a car with a pinstripe. It's a little retro, not totally objectionable, but all things being equal I wouldn've preferred a simple no-frills look.

I'm a little nervous to remove it, but if I did, the time would be now, to avoid any paint or top-coat ghosting. It was applied cleanly.

Thoughts?

F.S.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Car
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Pinstripes are always a dealer installed profit booster. If they are vinyl, they will be pretty easy to remove with some heat and a soft plastic scraper followed by something like GooGone to clean up. If they are actually painted on the old fashion way (rare these days)...I'd not attempt to remove them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think it looks great. I have a guy in the chicago area that hand paints pinstripes ... he's amazing. Charges $100/stripe, so if you want a double, it's $200; triple it's $300. I have a 2021 mag gray touring with black interior, and considering a silver over black stripe. The only thing I don't like on the ascent stripe is having it broken by the mirror.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I gave up on pin stripes ages ago, but I think those are subtle, understated and nicely branded - I'd probably keep them too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts