Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone succeeded programming pin code? I was able to do on Forester, but on Ascent it does not work.

After I prepair for programming I enter first digit. At that point I hear 3 chirps and there are no Chirps between digits. So it does not take code.

There are plenty of videos and Instructions. They are of course all the same, but they don’t work in my case

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it working. The Lock button to enable programming mode is actually the same button used for Pin. Not rear gate open/close button

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anyone succeeded programming pin code? I was able to do on Forester, but on Ascent it does not work.

After I prepair for programming I enter first digit. At that point I hear 3 chirps and there are no Chirps between digits. So it does not take code.

There are plenty of videos and Instructions. They are of course all the same, but they don’t work in my case
I did it a few weeks ago and it works as advertised. Just follow the instructions in the owner's manual. I think the key was the first instruction about locking or unlocking the doors. I can't remember the specific instructions. Try it again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, this is the best video yet.

I had Forrester since 2016 and always try to lock keys in the car when I go kayaking I never knew I can disable key so I can lock it inside!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks, this is the best video yet.

I had Forrester since 2016 and always try to lock keys in the car when I go kayaking I never knew I can disable key so I can lock it inside!
You just answered my question as to why anyone would want to disable their FOB...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is only applicable for Ascent w/ Push-Start feature (i.e. Limited and Touring). Can Premium (w/ push-button start) do this to?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
look on the rear gate on the right of the opening button. If there is a small 2nd button to the right, then its pin code entry button

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did it exactly as described in the manual with no issue. Really nice for riding bikes, etc. Also to allow my son to get into the car if needed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Will this work if the fob is not near the car, or must the fob be disabled to lock the car ?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Will this work if the fob is not near the car, or must the fob be disabled to lock the car ?
Yes, that's the purpose of it. The Manual even gives directions for disabling the key fob so you can lock it in the vehicle while swimming, hiking, boating, etc. You then use the pin code to reenter the vehicle and retrieve the disabled fob.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I set up the pin code. Manual was fine, but it sure uses a different language than I'm used to. Watching the video and then following the manual helped.

Now I temporarily disable my key (while holding Lock, hit Unlock twice), toss it in the car, use the electronic lock rocker on the inside driver's door to lock all, and close the driver's door. All locked, only openable by the key code, and I can go do whatever without worrying about losing my key.

I have a spare unused lockbox that I need to sell (locks to the hitch pin). Maybe put it up on eBay... once I find it.

F.S.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Took the time to program the PIN on our new Ascent today. In addition to locking the car at trail heads, I've also been known to forget my keys in the house when I need to get something out of the car. Very nice feature, I like it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just programmed my pin code. Yay, that works. I then disabled the proximity on my key by holding lock and hitting unlock twice. Perfect, now I can lock my key in the car.

how do I re-enable it? I can unlock and lock the car with the buttons but proximity unlock no longer works.

let me go check, can I start it?

Hey, the proximity now works. Huh? I didn’t do anything. I’m confused now, I want this to work so what do you think happened?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Just programmed my pin code. Yay, that works. I then disabled the proximity on my key by holding lock and hitting unlock twice. Perfect, now I can lock my key in the car.

how do I re-enable it? I can unlock and lock the car with the buttons but proximity unlock no longer works.

let me go check, can I start it?

Hey, the proximity now works. Huh? I didn’t do anything. I’m confused now, I want this to work so what do you think happened?
Re-enabling the keyfob (press a button or two), leaving range, and re-entering range should trigger a proximity detection by the car.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
FYI - I just verified that the pin code is remembered during a battery replacement.

I hadn't thought to check that after I had the battery replaced a while ago.

This is good, I lost several of the other custom settings when the battery was disconnected.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts