Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After driving a 4x4 pickup truck for 35 years, I have made the switch. Traded in my 16 year old Ford F-150 for a sweet 2020 Ascent Touring, abyss blue.

Picked it up on January 2, after test test driving about 10 other 3-row / mid-size suv's and could not be happier. I appreciate the valuable information I found in the forum.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Welcome!

20 Years of pickups for me before buying a 2019 Limited in the Fall of 2018. The only thing I miss is the ability to drop down the truck tailgate as an instant work bench.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My wife has been driving pickups since '85. She's looking at getting a new one now and I haven't had any success suggesting something like an SUV would be more practical/useful for her nowadays.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having a woodworking hobby I thought about the times I used my truck for bringing wood home. With the roof rack I can still manage the vast majority of those trips.

Then there were times that I could have used a more manageable covered area for hauling things in bad weather that I now have with the Ascent.

So I will now enjoy the better gas mileage in a nice comfortable ride, where I can carry more passengers when needed and handle most of my hauling needs as well. In those rare occasions when I do need the bed of a pickup truck, I can just go rent a u-haul pickup for $20 a day.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
Having a woodworking hobby I thought about the times I used my truck for bringing wood home. With the roof rack I can still manage the vast majority of those trips.
Serious woodworker here...was just an avocation for 20 years, but is now a part time business post retirement. When I ditched the pickup in 2005 for SUVs (family needs), I bought a 5'x8' utility trailer. It gets the work for anything that I don't want to or can't get into the interior of my vehicle. I hate using roof racks (would have bought without if that was possible) so the small trailer fills the bill. It gets less use now, however, since I buy my sheet goods from a "real" supplier and they deliver for free. :)

Reactions: Kevin Williams

·
Registered
918 Posts
Serious woodworker here...was just an avocation for 20 years, but is now a part time business post retirement. When I ditched the pickup in 2005 for SUVs (family needs), I bought a 5'x8' utility trailer. It gets the work for anything that I don't want to or can't get into the interior of my vehicle. I hate using roof racks (would have bought without if that was possible) so the small trailer fills the bill. It gets less use now, however, since I buy my sheet goods from a "real" supplier and they deliver for free. :)
I was just going to mention the same thing. With my 16' flatbed trailer, I can haul way more than my GMC 2500 would! :D

As long as you have a place to park a trailer, a small trailer is pretty cheap, especially used!

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Yea, here's an example of one of those times when using the trailer is necessary...and these two slabs would be way too heavy to put on top of a vehicle's roof rack for sure, if not in pure weight, but heavy-awkwardness.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've actually played tow truck driver a couple times now too!

Plus moving tons of stuff!

Love the towing ability!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad i am not the only one. Was a scout leader for years and pickup was necessity. Retired but still liked the idea. I also trailer a popup so had to address several factors if i really needed a pick up.Just traded nissan long bed in for new Ascent. Had several Subarus for years as well. Spent 8 months or humming and hawing. Hopefully made right choice. So far enjoying my ride.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
There are a lot of folks who have driven pick-em-up-trucks for a long time and many of them did based on perceived hauling needs that was in reality a rare moment. Since one can rent one for twenty bucks at Home Depot these days or have a utility trailer like I opted for if "real hauling" is necessary, choosing a more comfortable, better riding SUV can be a great option. But some folks really do need trucks and that's always a great option when that is the case.

Reactions: James and GaryInMI

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
My wife has been driving pickups since '85. She's looking at getting a new one now and I haven't had any success suggesting something like an SUV would be more practical/useful for her nowadays.
There are tradeoffs. I love me Ascent and it works for me 98% of the time compared to a pickup. When you need the pickup you need the pickup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just lurking on this post. We started using the Bungii App if we need something big hauled or picked up. It's like Uber but with a pickup and someone to help lift. We had a frig die during shut down and was able to get one over to the house because of it. I find it cheaper than renting from uhaul or home depot since I live close to stores. If you do use it, do code MSW7Q and you'll get $10 I think.

Bungii

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,162 Posts
We have a Honda Ridgeline and it offers a lot of convenience. One of the biggest factors in its favor over other similarly-sized vehicles is it holds a 4x8 sheet flat in the bed. You generally have to buy a full size truck to get that, and I have no interest in a full size truck. I also have a 5x8 trailer that I tow, but the Ridgeline is too convenient most of the time to mess with the trailer. It makes a great "mixed use" vehicle. Our Ascent is family-toting only...no dogs, no lumber, no dump runs, nothing like that. The Ridgeline has fun with all that stuff...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
We have a 16 yo V8 Tundra 4WD and are considering a Ridgeline to replace it. Back then, Tundras were not as big as they are now. The Ridgeline is still a bit smaller, but certainly looks adequate for our current purposes.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
I had a 2000 Tundra, Merope, and yea...not anywhere close to the current version which is competitive with F150, RAM, Chevy and GMC. It's nice to know that the current Ridgeline has a bed that wide, not that I ever intend to get another truck.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,162 Posts
We have a 16 yo V8 Tundra 4WD and are considering a Ridgeline to replace it. Back then, Tundras were not as big as they are now. The Ridgeline is still a bit smaller, but certainly looks adequate for our current purposes.
Ours is an '09, so first generation. But the beds are configured the same. They're designed specifically to carry a 4x8 flat, which is a huge advantage over similarly-sized trucks. I've hauled a lot of drywall and plywood in ours! The dual-action tailgate is also very handy -- swing it open or lay it down. The in-bed trunk is super convenient, and I keep all of my "truck tools" in there, like my towing stuff, ratchet straps, some moving blankets, etc. That keeps all that stuff out of the passenger compartment, which is nice. The rear seat folds up against the back, and I've had a mountain bike fully assembled back there (nice to keep it out of the elements, protected from theft, etc.).

Honda's VTM-4 system (their AWD) also works tremendously well. It's an active system (VTM = Variable Torque Management), so it's sending power to the rear axle before it senses front slip. It also has a differential lock button that will lock the rear axle's clutch plates to the input shaft, meaning you have both a locked 50/50 split front/rear, but you also have a locked 50/50 split left/right. I've never used it except to play around -- even in deep snow, the automatic nature of the system will enable you to just get up and go.

They're thirsty, though (largely fixed in the 2nd generation). Ours is rated 15/20 by the EPA, and we do get a little better. We average about 17 mpg around town, and about 22 mpg on the road. Back when the Ridgeline was new, this was very competitive with its class, but even full size trucks get similar or better today. Time has sort of passed it by, but it's still a really interesting vehicle, and pretty fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
...The in-bed trunk is super convenient, and I keep all of my "truck tools" in there, like my towing stuff, ratchet straps, some moving blankets, etc. ...
A good friend often fills his with ice and beverages.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,162 Posts
A good friend often fills his with ice and beverages.
That's the most common example used for that, yes. Honda smartly put a drain in one of the front corners, so you can fill 'er up with ice and then just drain the water out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts