Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a rooftop carrier to haul 2 sorts of things:
1) extra luggage (we have 3 kids and go on road trips)
2) in the winter, I'll want to put skis on the roof.

For 2) it is important to me to have the skis protected from debris. I am not going to use that ski carrier. Two options here.
a) Since my skis are long (210cm), possibly I could get an extra long box, but my choices may be limited. And though my kids don't have skis yet, I'll one day want to be able to put 5 pairs in there, in addition to some extra luggage.
b) I could imagine using a medium size box for luggage that leaves enough room on the roof for me to tie on my skis in their bag next to the carrier. (less convenient and aerodynamic, but sure to fit)

So, thoughts on what box and what crossbars to buy?

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are a number of boxes from Yakima and Thule that will fit your size skis and also the number of skis that you will be carrying. All should fit any crossbar that you decide to go with. Yakima alone has 5 boxes that fit 210 skis.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nowadays, the boxes are pretty universal, meaning they attach to any aerobar, square, or round crossbar. I’ve had a Thule box attached to a round Yakima crossbar for years. When we originally bought our Honda Pilot, all the boxes from Yakima didn’t allow the rear hatch to open without contacting the box. The Thule one didn’t. You shouldn’t have that problem at all for the Ascent.

·
Registered
116 Posts
jNo, you should not have to have Yakima cross bars to use with a Yakima Skybox. I have a Yakima Skybox and it works great on my 2011 Outback with its integrated cross-bars/roof rails. It is simple to adjust to other vehicles and my son-in-law borrows the Skybox for use on his Toyota Sienna. Just started driving our new Ascent two months ago (with Subaru factory crossbars) and have not used the Skybox with it, but I am sure it will work well with them. Not sure if skis will fit since we are not skiers.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd go the biggest you can for the box. I have the Yakima Skybox 21. Here is an older pic of it on the Ascent. Not the best, but it is seated on Yakima bars/control towers at about the maximum spacing between the cross bars, and as far back as you can go without lift gate interference. The front overhang does not extend over the windshield. I think the Skybox 18 has the same footprint as the 21, the 21 is just taller. Even with the extra height, I can pull into my garage. If you are looking to purchase, you might want to wait until labor day when they are ususally 20-25% off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts