Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: adding an Ascent to our Outback and Forester fleet. Picking up a touring and wondering if the front seats have the “Tab” for holding mats in position. I always get rubber mats and can‘t remember if they were on the car or if I bought them when I installed them in our other Subaru’s. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
Congrats! Your driveway is going to look exactly like ours...Ascent, Forester and Outback. :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
My limited had the tabs on the floor drivers side to hold the mat in place. I use weathertech mats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi: adding an Ascent to our Outback and Forester fleet. Picking up a touring and wondering if the front seats have the “Tab” for holding mats in position. I always get rubber mats and can‘t remember if they were on the car or if I bought them when I installed them in our other Subaru’s. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.
Thanks, Bob
I believe that is a legal requirement at this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks! Ordering some mats along with some other items. We have a 16 Outback 3.6, a 17 Forester Base Premium 6 speed, and now the Ascent. I have the Forester set up for flat towing behind and RV. I might try the Ascent towing the Forester and see how it does.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
340 Posts
Thanks! Ordering some mats along with some other items. We have a 16 Outback 3.6, a 17 Forester Base Premium 6 speed, and now the Ascent. I have the Forester set up for flat towing behind and RV. I might try the Ascent towing the Forester and see how it does.
What was done to accommodate flat towing? Do you decouple the drivetrain? Do you have brakes in the toad?

·
Registered
64 Posts
His Forester is a manual trans. He was talking about towing the Forester with the Ascent. Don't think you can tow the Ascent at all.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
His Forester is a manual trans. He was talking about towing the Forester with the Ascent. Don't think you can tow the Ascent at all.
I believe that's correct. It would have to be all four off on a trailer.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
340 Posts
Unless you control the brakes in the Forester when it is being towed, the Ascent will not flat tow it. The Ascent is limited to towing no more than 1000# without brakes. You'll need a trailer with brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost all states in the US, and all of Canada require braking in a towed vehicle. In an RV with air brakes (usually a diesel pusher) it is integrated into the towed vehicles braking system. In a “gasser” RV, brakes in the towed vehicle are usually controlled by a device that activates the brake pedal. “Brake Buddy” is the Kleenex and Jello of these devices. A pneumatic piston presses the brake pedal, controlled by inertial settings on the devices (like a Tekionsha brake controller) and a remote in the towing vehicle.

The ubiquitous tow vehicle in the US is a Jeep of some sort. Most gas RVs (Ford F53 truck with V10 engine, which is being replaced by new V8) have a 5K hitch rating. Jeeps are heavy. I liked our Outback, wanted all wheel drive and decent ground clearance, so looked at a Crosstrek and Forester with manual transmission. Forester had more room and not much heavier, so I found a white base premium in VA (I live in MD) and bought it in anticipation of buying an RV. We’ve towed the Forester up and down the East Coast and Eastern Canada several times a year and it tows perfectly, knocking only about 1 MPG off 24K RV (7MPG).

We just bought a Winter home in FL (too hot and humid in summer) and plan on spending 3-5 months in Winter with other occasional visits. Was originally thinking of a small aluminum trailer towed by the Outback to bring kayaks, bikes, and other miscellaneous stuff. With the 5K capacity of the Ascent, I can use the Forester as the trailer and have 2 vehicles so my wife and I won’t drive each other crazy. The only tongue weight is the tow bar (under 50lbs) and total tow weight will be under 4K. This is only practical as I already have a tow equipped car with a BlueOx tow plate and bar, braking unit with breakaway switch, and 7pin wiring ready to go. I’ll see how it tows when I pick up my Ascent and report back.
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts