Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Sport utility vehicle

After much wait and negotiation, picked up the Big Blue Subaru last Thursday. Wheel locks and cup holders being added this weekend, but already got the EZ Pass up on the dashboard upper right, 3rd row shades were easy to add and really happy with it thus far! The dealership went above board sending some gifts (cup holder insert) home and as well put on the edge guards I didn't even order (hard to see in the photo - color matched).

Administrator
I have the door edge guards on both of our vehicles. Totally worth the expense.... Even better when added for FREE. (Well, heavily discounted if taking in the cost for the Ascent 馃槈)

Reactions: misikoff

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put the original 4 in a closet in the house and the lock nut in our glove compartment, with the billy club I used in the trunk's below organizer. Guessing I should keep 1-2 of the original nuts in there too since I doubt I'd be swapping more than 1 out anyway in a pinch. Also with 3yr/36k vehicle towing/roadside, might not be a big deal.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
I put the original 4 in a closet in the house and the lock nut in our glove compartment, with the billy club I used in the trunk's below organizer. Guessing I should keep 1-2 of the original nuts in there too since I doubt I'd be swapping more than 1 out anyway in a pinch. Also with 3yr/36k vehicle towing/roadside, might not be a big deal.
Road service is going to take 5 lugs off, put 5 lugs on. If you don't hand them the standard lug, don't count on them knowing not to put the lock lug back. While we're at it, the Subaru lug torque is relatively low, something like 85ft/lbs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right but for one wheel, there's 4 on them that are standard, one which is the locking variety.

All I need is to have one in the car then (and the lock nut to remove the locking one). Since I put on the lock nut, I'm sure I can take it off and replace it before road service even arrives (~3 min)

Administrator
89 lb-ft torque for the Ascent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a good billy club for that. Put the car in park, e-brake on, and found removing one of the originals was not strenuous, I spun a new locking one on and hand-used the key until it stopped spinning. Then came the billy club and torqued it until the Ascent was rocked back about 3" by force. I never used fully body weight, just arm strength so figured I put it on right and tight. Checked the key for warping - no sir!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd start with donating $500 to the ASPCA and look for Subaru VIP as a result. Also a decent tax charitable donation mind you as ASPCA gets $100 of that.

Subaru VIP treatment is 2% under invoice (not MSRP) and you would indicate the dealer you're headed to and they will get the paperwork on you being a VIP.

Then, you get that 2021 Ascent Touring for much less than the quote as that is based on MSRP, not dealer invoice. You also get any add-ons at 2% under invoice as well.

Probably the best $500 you would ever spend.

And hey, glad I could "show you".

Administrator
Subaru VIP treatment is 2% under invoice (not MSRP) and you would indicate the dealer you're headed to and they will get the paperwork on you being a VIP.
Currently, ASPCA VIP program, and a few others, are 2% below dealer invoice. But, there are multiple VIP Programs, with different terms and requirements. VIP Programs range from dealer invoice to 2% below, with factory accessories included at cost or 2% below, and dealer accessories included at cost or not included.

But, yes, it's never 2% below MSRP, in any VIP Program currently active.

Registered
@misikoff @Robert.Mauro @HeyChris
Thank you for the heads-up on the VIP program(s); I would certainly be interested getting registered to one of the VIP Program soon. But due to lack of time between that and my purchase time, I went ahead and picked up our first Subaru, the 2021 Ascent Touring for around the $42350 (ex-showroom), this came with Package 2A in it. Not sure if it is the best deal but I鈥檓 happy with what I got (and ofcourse the 0% for 60 months). Thanks to my dealer who supported well on this purchase and the dealer provides lifetime engine warranty as long as I own it. It is a Magnetite Gray with the Java Brown interior. I drove it for about 100 miles after picking it from the dealer, and I am absolutely loving it.

Thank you all and happy to share my experience here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad we could help!

Please note a few things:

1. Many have exchanged their car battery for a better one, citing issues based on the power the existing battery has vs the load you might carry with the Ascent's HK audio, USB 2.1A charging, other infotainment, etc. Subaru of America is usually kind to pay for a better battery replacement and I personally snagged an Odyssey 35-1400T AGM battery and was reimbursed fully.

2. Until you mileage exceeds 500 miles, you might see your average MPG in the 12/13/14 mpg range and that is normal until the transmission "breaks in". By 1k miles you can expect to see ~20mpg. I personally just passed 400 miles on mine, and during a trip that started at 12.6 mpg and 120 miles until needing gas (on just North of 3/4 a tank) I drove about 75 miles and came back at 14.2 mpg and 150 miles until needing gas (at just South of 1/2 a tank).

3. Keys handed to you: note one of the keys had a small metal plate on the key ring with 5 digits. That is the code to let another key fob get synced with your Ascent. Useful should you wash a key or lose one as w/o that 5 digit code the dealers will charge hundreds to pair a key fob.

Otherwise, this forum provides most excellent information as you find yourself in need of it.

Registered
Glad we could help!

Please note a few things:

1. Many have exchanged their car battery for a better one, citing issues based on the power the existing battery has vs the load you might carry with the Ascent's HK audio, USB 2.1A charging, other infotainment, etc. Subaru of America is usually kind to pay for a better battery replacement and I personally snagged an Odyssey 35-1400T AGM battery and was reimbursed fully.

2. Until you mileage exceeds 500 miles, you might see your average MPG in the 12/13/14 mpg range and that is normal until the transmission "breaks in". By 1k miles you can expect to see ~20mpg. I personally just passed 400 miles on mine, and during a trip that started at 12.6 mpg and 120 miles until needing gas (on just North of 3/4 a tank) I drove about 75 miles and came back at 14.2 mpg and 150 miles until needing gas (at just South of 1/2 a tank).

3. Keys handed to you: note one of the keys had a small metal plate on the key ring with 5 digits. That is the code to let another key fob get synced with your Ascent. Useful should you wash a key or lose one as w/o that 5 digit code the dealers will charge hundreds to pair a key fob.

Otherwise, this forum provides most excellent information as you find yourself in need of it.
Thank you @misikoff and I appreciate it. And honestly, I was not aware of the point 1 & 3, great information.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts