Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my previous vehicles I could charge my phone when they weren’t running, but it won’t charge when my Ascent isn’t running. Does anyone else have the same problem?

·
Registered
653 Posts
By design. This would be a parasitic drain on the already parasitic drained Ascent battery. Think if 3-5 kids all had dead iPads and left them all plugged in to charge for whatever reason (Road trip). That’d definitely toast a battery quick.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
643 Posts
In my previous vehicles I could charge my phone when they weren’t running, but it won’t charge when my Ascent isn’t running. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Yes, the USB ports aren't powered when the ignition is off.

This isn't a problem for me because I use a wireless charger only when I'm driving.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,541 Posts
It's been a very long time since I had a vehicle that left a power outlet, USB or otherwise, active when the vehicle was fully shut down, and even those required moving a fuse to a different position to keep that power active. For USB ports, that would also entail having whatever piece of electronics they are associated with (like the head unit) to be fully powered up to provide that power.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
You can tap the start/stop button twice without pressing the brake and everything will be on without the engine running. Be sure to turn headlights and HVAC off, even the radio depending how long you want to use the power, or you’ll drain your battery. I’ve done it for short term situations but I wouldn’t leave it that way all day.

·
Registered
553 Posts
According to the info I've seen, one of the few changes going from the '19 to the '20 Ascents is the '20 will charge usb devices with the ignition off.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
According to the info I've seen, one of the few changes going from the '19 to the '20 Ascents is the '20 will charge usb devices with the ignition off.
given the existing concerns with the draining of the 2019 battery, what changes did they make in the 2020 electrical system that would be able to handle this time of draining?

·
Registered
553 Posts
IDK, it might have some time limit or something I don't know about. I only heard that the '20s will charge with the ignition off. A typical phone battery has less than 10Wh capacity compared to a car battery with ~480Wh, so charging a phone puts a pretty small dent in the battery charge, even considering the inefficiencies. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If charging a phone will kill it, it's basically already dead.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,541 Posts
SkiPro3, which specific port(s) are active for charging with the vehicle off in the MY20...that information will be helpful to folks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I checked the top most plug above the cup holders and under the radio. I assume the other plug just under this one would also be hot all the time, but didn't check. I'll do so later though.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I checked the top most plug above the cup holders and under the radio. I assume the other plug just under this one would also be hot all the time, but didn't check. I'll do so later though.
I wonder if they ever time out or are always powered?

Mine shut off with the ignition.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just tested this again in my 2020.
As I suspected, this is tied to the CanBus ~5min timer.
Top USB port below HVAC only stays energized while the CanBus stuff is energized, then nothing.
Same with radio etc after the ignition has turned off.

Just tested the rear center console USB ports and they are straight tied to the ignition switched power, not CanBus. Ignition off, no power, instantly.

So no, the 2020 still offers no USB charging while the car is off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, I can personally attest that none of my USB receptacles, nor the "cigarette lighter" plug, are hot after the vehicle is turned off, at least on my Aug 2018 build vehicle.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You can wire in a USB charger to stay on when the car is off. A little DIY work required, but if it's important to you then it's worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts