Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Android phone disappeared from my 2021 Ascent list of phones. As far as I know the device want updated, it just disappeared.

Reconnecting went ok. The phone remained attached to my profile.

Has something like this happened with anyone else? Was there a solution that was reasonably permanent?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
243 Posts
It hasn't happened (yet) on my 2019 Ascent. But it happened roughly every 6 weeks on my 2017 Lexus and has happened 3x since May on the wife's 2020 Mini Cooper Countryman JCW.

It's BT technology. It's great when it works. A drag when it doesn't.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
811 Posts
My Android phone disappeared from my 2021 Ascent list of phones. As far as I know the device want updated, it just disappeared.

Reconnecting went ok. The phone remained attached to my profile.

Has something like this happened with anyone else? Was there a solution that was reasonably permanent?
I don't recall this ever happening over the past 2.25 years with either of our iPhones. We only connect to the car with Bluetooth for calls and text, never USB because we don't use our phones for entertainment or navigation. I have a USB powered wireless charger so the phones aren't plugged in.

Our Ascent is now our only vehicle so it switches phones based on the order they are listed, if both are in the car the number 1 phone is connected. This works for us because I usually drive when we are together. It took a few minutes of fooling around with the profiles to work this out, I originally assumed that the phones followed the driver profile controlled by which fob is used but that's not how it works.

Probably too much information 😄

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't recall this ever happening over the past 2.25 years with either of our iPhones. We only connect to the car with Bluetooth for calls and text, never USB because we don't use our phones for entertainment or navigation. I have a USB powered wireless charger so the phones aren't plugged in.

Our Ascent is now our only vehicle so it switches phones based on the order they are listed, if both are in the car the number 1 phone is connected. This works for us because I usually drive when we are together. It took a few minutes of fooling around with the profiles to work this out, I originally assumed that the phones followed the driver profile controlled by which fob is used but that's not how it works.

Probably too much information 😄
Good for you and thanks for sharing:)
We use 2 phones - Samsung s9, so android auto both for USB and bluetooth. It works for a while and actually not bad when it is connected. But approximately once per months it loses all saved profiles, with the phone saved on these profiles.
Not a big deal, but just adding to the whole atmosphere of a "too new, too fresh" not fully cooked model. As if they were in a huge hurry to put the product on the market.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Subaru really likes iPhones!

I've got an Android device, and my wife has an iPhone. The Subaru will regularly swap the order of the phones, giving my wife's preference when we're both in the car. When this happens her profile takes over which seems to basically claim the radio presets. This is annoying but I can either swap the profile to mine or plug in to the USB for Android Auto. Then my presets become active again.

I imagine most families share the same brand of phone so this isn't a problem for many.

Still wondering about my phone disappearing from Bluetooth all together, but it's only happened the one time.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
243 Posts
I think Subaru really likes iPhones!

I've got an Android device, and my wife has an iPhone. The Subaru will regularly swap the order of the phones, giving my wife's preference when we're both in the car. When this happens her profile takes over which seems to basically claim the radio presets. This is annoying but I can either swap the profile to mine or plug in to the USB for Android Auto. Then my presets become active again.

I imagine most families share the same brand of phone so this isn't a problem for many.

Still wondering about my phone disappearing from Bluetooth all together, but it's only happened the one time.
It's not Subaru, it's Apple. It's in the CarPlay "contract" that any iPhone plugged in has to be "#1". The same is going to be true in any car supporting both CarPlay and AndroidAuto.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
108 Posts
My wife and I have owned our 2021 Ascent since February 2nd. My OnePlus 7 Pro phone has "unpaired" twice so far. The most recent time was three days ago. I had the phone connected to the USB cable and was using Google maps. Along the way, I stopped at a gas station, turned the car off, filled the tank, then started the car. After starting the car, the phone was no longer paired to the Ascent. My wife's Huawei Mate 9 has remained paired to the Ascent since it was initially paired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just noticed something like this in my 2021 as well. When I use Android Auto, my phone goes missing from the list of phones in the head unit, and then reappears. The reason I noticed at all is that the Ascent would switch to my wife's Android phone, even though I had set my phone to be first in the list.

I have tried fiddling with the bluetooth settings in Android Auto, but so far the only solution is to not use it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts