Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we first got the car, was able to press the voice button on steering wheel and ask system to call so and so - iPhone not connected to CarPlay, and it worked 95% of the time. Last two software upgrades, it makes the call 10% of the time if that. Keeps saying it can only mute calls, or another message like that.

Anyone seeing the same? any solutions? Hoped this last software upgrade would fix it, but no luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
When we first got the car, was able to press the voice button on steering wheel and ask system to call so and so - iPhone not connected to CarPlay, and it worked 95% of the time. Last two software upgrades, it makes the call 10% of the time if that. Keeps saying it can only mute calls, or another message like that.

Anyone seeing the same? any solutions? Hoped this last software upgrade would fix it, but no luck
I have found that NOW the Apple carplay doesn't connect, even with wire, 50% of the time. The bluetooth is not working most of the time. Yesterday I plugged and unplugged the Apple wire at least 20 times and it would not work. Then all of a sudden it started working. IT IS NOT MY USB CABLE, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. I said that for anyone who wants to suggest it is the cable. IT IS NOT THE CABLE aka apple USB cable/wire.

This is a definite software/firmware problem. I do agree that the latest updates have made it worse. I just had my car serviced 2 weeks ago and have been having many connection/bluetooth problems ever since including the radio channels disappearing after being programmed. And the "Subaru Link" app now pops up every time I connect the Apple Phone via USB. This is very annoying and it wont let me go to the podcasts, google maps, Apple Music without answering the same questions over and over. My patience is running short. I have been dealing with this on and off since Sep 2018 when I bought my 2019 Ascent.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts

Just to make sure I understand your setup correctly, you are trying to make calls over a Bluetooth connected iPhone, no USB cable and no Carplay. And the software upgrades you mention are for the infotainment system and not iOS.

Assuming that is correct, I don't have any trouble making calls or sending hands free text messages with the same setup. I do it all the time and it works correctly 95% of the time.

I have been running the latest infotainment version 19.42.70 since last December and my iPhone Xr is running the latest iOS release 13.3.1.

I usually long press the Voice Command button and use Siri instead of using the Accent's voice system with a short press but I tried doing that this morning and it worked ok.

My wife has an identical iPhone and it also works ok, the car switches back and forth between our profiles all the time since the Accent is our only vehicle.

So assuming that I'm reading your setup correctly, it should work, in fact I've never had a problem doing this since 9/2018.

Hope you can get this figured out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Just to make sure I understand your setup correctly, you are trying to make calls over a Bluetooth connected iPhone, no USB cable and no Carplay. And the software upgrades you mention are for the infotainment system and not iOS. " correct - this is what I'm doing. Only learned of the long press for siri today - although I have her disabled on my iphone. Both car and iphone are on latest updates - car usually responds with that it cannot or can only mute calls

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm on the latest updates both for our vehicle as well as for iOS.

I'm having only intermittent success with Bluetooth (probably 10% success) in terms of either initiating calls or enabling voice-to-text with the phone connected in this manner. This is using the vehicle's Siri access point (steering wheel voice button, long-press).

Corded, using a genuine Apple Lightning Cable, using the CarPlay interface, I've had no issues other than the occasional handset/vehicle-interface confusion where the car will think that I'm still on the phone even though the other party has hung up and disconnected. In these cases, the main entertainment stack remains muted regardless of my having switched the display to, say, XM - until I've performed a manual reboot (holding the volume/mute button down for ~10 seconds). Even though that will return the center entertainment stack to proper functionality, the instrument cluster's mini-display still freezes on the "Call in Progress" notification.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
"Just to make sure I understand your setup correctly, you are trying to make calls over a Bluetooth connected iPhone, no USB cable and no Carplay. And the software upgrades you mention are for the infotainment system and not iOS. " correct - this is what I'm doing. Only learned of the long press for siri today - although I have her disabled on my iphone. Both car and iphone are on latest updates - car usually responds with that it cannot or can only mute calls
Do you have anything else paired with your iPhone, like an Apple Watch?

Do inbound calls work ok?

I'm assuming you have already tried repairing you iPhone to the car, Apple always says that it's step 1 when having problems.

I have never set up Carplay between my iPhone and the car because I don't use it, but if you have, maybe have Carplay on your iPhone forget the car and try making a call. It is a long shot, but I know Carplay can cause some other problems.

Can't think of any other things to try...

Edit: One more thing, do you have a driver profile set up with your iPhone paired through the profile? I know you can pair your phone without a profile, but I have always used a profile.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
113 Posts
2020 touring with software update iOS 13 and apple watch-- CarPlay no problems, BT hey siri and voice control button no problem connects 100%

i would disconnect your phone and reconnect make sure its connected and phone has all software updates if no improvement i'd talk to service

how many phones connected by usb?? only one will work at a time check which is connected

1 - 8 of 8 Posts