Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pixel 5 was plugged in to the USB port, Android Auto was active and I was navigating using Google Maps. A call came in but wouldn't play on the cars speakers. It only came through the phones speaker.

Do I have to have a Bluetooth connection too?

Either the phone or the car regularly forgets their pairing so I'm not accustomed to worrying about it having an active Bluetooth connection. I would have thought the wired AA connection would be enough.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
From This Website,

But what’s sometime confusing for many is that despite using a wired connection, Bluetooth is still required for Android Auto to run. In other words, despite running Android Auto on your car’s screen using a USB cable, the device still needs to be paired with the vehicle’s head unit via Bluetooth as well.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Limited in Crimson Pearl Red.
22 Posts
My Pixel 5 was plugged in to the USB port, Android Auto was active and I was navigating using Google Maps. A call came in but wouldn't play on the cars speakers. It only came through the phones speaker.

Do I have to have a Bluetooth connection too?

Either the phone or the car regularly forgets their pairing so I'm not accustomed to worrying about it having an active Bluetooth connection. I would have thought the wired AA connection would be enough.
That's a good question. The answer solved my problem.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
123 Posts
I have a Pixel 5 that randomly gets unpaired once in a blue moon. I have no clue what causes it.

I upgraded the HK head unit firmware to the latest available and upgraded from a Pixel 2 phone.

Google's software is notoriously buggy and bad. Even though it's previously granted, my Pixel 5 will sometimes ask for app permissions as soon as I plug in the USB cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts