Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Phoenix - Nashville 1700 miles 24.2 mpg

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kevin Williams 
#1 ·
Just completed a three day drive from Phoenix to Nashville and reported 24.2 mpg for the trip. Weather was clear, traffic was good, and while the Ascent was pretty well loaded, I did not have anything on the racks and was not towing. Mileage suffered in the mountains near Flagstaff and then some detours off I40.

I was hoping to get a little bit more mpg on the long trip, but wow what a great driving car for long distances.

#2 ·
Alas, EPA highway ratings are at 60 mph or less. I've driven a large chunk of that route, and highway speeds are generally 75-90 mph. 😉

But yep, I too found the Ascent a wonderful car to take on long distance trips!

#6 ·
Alas, EPA highway ratings are at 60 mph or less. I've driven a large chunk of that route, and highway speeds are generally 75-90 mph. 😉

But yep, I too found the Ascent a wonderful car to take on long distance trips!
As Robert said, there is a very obvious difference in highway mileage between driving at what the EPA tests as highway speeds and the speeds that the majority of highway driving is actually done at.

#7 ·
Driving in Texas into a killer headwind on the very rural highways at 110mph netted me 10.... yes 10 mpg :D. Had to stop after 180 miles!

Reactions: Jim_in_PA
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.