Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
It's been about a year since I've had this occur, 4 times prior to that with 1 dead battery and once wide open in a hotel parking lot with gear for 3 months on the road in the back.

I put a zip tie around the fob cover over the rear hatch button and you really have to press that sucker hard to open the rear gate now. Not pretty but effective and my fob is always in my pocket now with my knife, which caused the problems before.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not on this site very often but I know that I've seen tons of complaints in the past about the rear gate opening by itself overnight. It has happened to us numerous times but last week it happened in our garage and when I opened the garage door in the morning, it jammed with the gate stuck in a horizontal crossbar of the garage door. I now have a dent at the bottom of my gate.
The batter was drained when we found it so I called the 800 number and the service was great. They came out in less than an hour and started me up. I took the vehicle to the dealership and asked that they load test the battery to make sure it was good. They had me leave my 2019 Ascent with them to check the gate out. After a few days, they said no codes showing the gate opening by itself and the batter was fine. I'm trying to get Subaru to pick up the tab to repair the gate dent. I know that I've seen this issue on this forum but cannot find it.
Anyone had this problem of a phantom lift gate? TIA
Had the same issue few months ago and the gate has a dent at the bottom where it got jammed by the garage door. Will probably take the car in for all the dents at once as we have another dent below the number. To do a test just push the metal sheet gently below the number you'll find how flimsy the metal is there. Very prone to denting from a mild ball hit or any other accidental hit. It will be nice if Subaru will cover some of this charges.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,986 Posts
The only times I've had this happen was due to the fob being in my pocket and just the right conditions presented themselves while sitting down for the liftgate button to be held down long enough to open the hatch. And I do have a silicone cover on my fob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi!
has anyone here had the lift gate CLOSE on them without touching the fob or the buttons? It has happened to us 3 times (at least). Today being the scariest as my 4 year old was in the path of the metal part of the door. I’m pretty sure my husband got a concussion from it the first time it happened too- the corner got him before he could get out of the way of it

I’m starting to think the phantom opening and phantom closing is an ISSUE vs an accidental key fob press.

thanks!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts