Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not on this site very often but I know that I've seen tons of complaints in the past about the rear gate opening by itself overnight. It has happened to us numerous times but last week it happened in our garage and when I opened the garage door in the morning, it jammed with the gate stuck in a horizontal crossbar of the garage door. I now have a dent at the bottom of my gate.
The batter was drained when we found it so I called the 800 number and the service was great. They came out in less than an hour and started me up. I took the vehicle to the dealership and asked that they load test the battery to make sure it was good. They had me leave my 2019 Ascent with them to check the gate out. After a few days, they said no codes showing the gate opening by itself and the batter was fine. I'm trying to get Subaru to pick up the tab to repair the gate dent. I know that I've seen this issue on this forum but cannot find it.
Anyone had this problem of a phantom lift gate? TIA

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lots of posts on this and they concluded that the users are accidentally touching the buttons on the keyfob. Not long ago someone did this and the hatch was only open half way...this meant that not only was the button pressed to open the gate it was pressed again to stop it half way. There is a rubber keyfob holder that makes the keyfob so that the buttons protrude less which apparently is helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of posts on this and they concluded that the users are accidentally touching the buttons on the keyfob. Not long ago someone did this and the hatch was only open half way...this meant that not only was the button pressed to open the gate it was pressed again to stop it half way. There is a rubber keyfob holder that makes the keyfob so that the buttons protrude less which apparently is helpful.
Thanks, but ours happened overnight. I know that I've seen posts about this before. I was hoping that someone who had it happen would respond back.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It happened to me. I might be the one ratbag is referring to as mine was found 1/2 way open. I can't rule out having accidentally pressed the button, but I'd have had to press and hold for a second or two to get the gate to open, then press again to stop it halfway. Anyway, there is a dealer settable option to disable the remote actuation of the tailgate. It might be worthwhile having this done. It's on page 39 in the manual.

There's also a dealer settable option for battery drain prevention, which is supposed to active by default. So far It hasn't seemed to prevent owners draining their batteries by leaving the TG open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happened to me. I might be the one ratbag is referring to as mine was found 1/2 way open. I can't rule out having accidentally pressed the button, but I'd have had to press and hold for a second or two to get the gate to open, then press again to stop it halfway. Anyway, there is a dealer settable option to disable the remote actuation of the tailgate. It might be worthwhile having this done. It's on page 39 in the manual.

There's also a dealer settable option for battery drain prevention, which is supposed to active by default. So far It hasn't seemed to prevent owners draining their batteries by leaving the TG open.
Thanks. My car key sits on the kitchen counter so that it cannot accidentally actuate. My wife key is in a padded pouch in her purse.
Thank you for responding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This happened to me, parked at noon, went off to the back 40, came back 4 hours later and hatch was open, wife swore she didn't go near it. Battery was still alive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not on this site very often but I know that I've seen tons of complaints in the past about the rear gate opening by itself overnight. It has happened to us numerous times but last week it happened in our garage and when I opened the garage door in the morning, it jammed with the gate stuck in a horizontal crossbar of the garage door. I now have a dent at the bottom of my gate.
The batter was drained when we found it so I called the 800 number and the service was great. They came out in less than an hour and started me up. I took the vehicle to the dealership and asked that they load test the battery to make sure it was good. They had me leave my 2019 Ascent with them to check the gate out. After a few days, they said no codes showing the gate opening by itself and the batter was fine. I'm trying to get Subaru to pick up the tab to repair the gate dent. I know that I've seen this issue on this forum but cannot find it.
Anyone had this problem of a phantom lift gate? TIA
Help!!! It is happening to my car now! I think, in my case, it's because I accidentally touched the fob. But that was 2 hours ago. hatch got stuck on my garage door... I got the garage door open all the way, manually closed the hatch - but it won't close all the way, & is just beeping (terrifying my dog who has PTSD...). Car acts like battery is dead. It's Saturday, and Subaru service isn't open. Guess I need to call a tow truck...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,986 Posts
Bosun, if the hatch was open for any length of time, the battery may well have been run down due to certain circuitry that is active when the hatch is open. Put a charger or jump-battery on the vehicle to remediate if that is the case.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks. My car key sits on the kitchen counter so that it cannot accidentally actuate. My wife key is in a padded pouch in her purse.
Thank you for responding.
That was basically my same situation. My fob is kept on a table by the door. My wife's has been deactivated (hold the lock button and press the open button twice) and is hanging on a hook. However, my fob was in my possession between exiting the vehicle, entering my home, and putting the fob on the table. If the hatch being partially open was due to me accidentally pressing the fob button (twice), it had to have happened in that time. It doesn't sound likely, but I can't absolutely rule it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I reported this issue here as well a couple months ago.
Mine is a 2020 Limited. Came out with the dog one morning and hatch was open about 1/3 of the way.
We had used the car that day but not the liftgate.
Battery dead as a doornail.
Put battery on a 24 hour trickle charge and now lock the car at all times when not in use. (don't know if it was locked or not when this happened).
I am super careful with the fob and never put it in my pocket when I'm in the yard or coming/going from the vehicle.

I have had zero re-occurrences so I have attributed my experience to operator error.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It has happened to me more than once. Somehow while walking around or working in the yard or the garage, with the fob in my pocket, I manage to press the liftgate button. I've even done while sitting in my chair reading. Since my car lives outside, my biggest concern with this inadvertently leaving the liftgate open all night, which I have done. Yes, it started in the morning. My work around was to change my evening routine. Every night before I head for bed I take the fob out of my pocket, look out the window and press the lock button. If the Ascent beeps and flashes the lights once, I know it's closed up and locked. If I get multiple flashes and beeps, the hatch is open. Then I deal with the hatch. After that I put the fob on my dresser and leave it there until morning. If I'm travelling or in a situation where I can't see the car, I use the My Subaru app to send a "lock doors" request. The app will reply back that the doors have been locked or "Your doors have been locked but the following door(s) are ajar: Trunk" This will show up in the app, NOT the confirmation text Subaru sends.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
It hasn't happened to me when I had the rubber keyfob cover on. It has happened to me, when I've had the uncovered keyfob in a pouch, in a pocket and in a bag - as well as hanging on my waist where I inadvertently press it against the chair and my side.

Now, at work, I take it off, since it's not like I can accidentally leave work without it, and, at home, I hang it with my house keys. I will probably go back to the fob cover for it.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
36 Posts
Do we know why it appears to be so sensitive on the Ascent?
We have a 2018 Outback that when i am privileged enough to drive it, i put the bare key fob in my front jean pocket and i have never been able to click that trunk open button... i have been able to click the lock button,
Why is it so different? The key fobs look so similar i would be surprised if they are different in their layout/button placement or even size...
Any one got any ideas why this only seems to be happening on the Ascent?

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
Do we know why it appears to be so sensitive on the Ascent?
We have a 2018 Outback that when i am privileged enough to drive it, i put the bare key fob in my front jean pocket and i have never been able to click that trunk open button... i have been able to click the lock button,
Why is it so different? The key fobs look so similar i would be surprised if they are different in their layout/button placement or even size...
Any one got any ideas why this only seems to be happening on the Ascent?
I haven't had more than a few days with a 2018 Outback FOB, so, I don't know. They're both Denso fobs. Perhaps the waterproofing membrane underneath changed? But, that's just speculation since I never took apart the fob of the loaner car.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
I am only suspecting the fob because if that's NOT the issue then Subaru has bigger problems.
I'm also suspecting the FOB because it's happened to me, but only when I have the FOB someplace where it can be pressed.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My 10 yo Lexus RX350 had a power lift gate and no probs. It was something I was ambivalent about as I've never found manually opening and closing liftgates to be unduly arduous or inconvenient. As such, it was not a feature I was looking for when shopping for a replacement. The Ascent came with one, and it's proving to be more of a liability.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
My 10 yo Lexus RX350 had a power lift gate and no probs. It was something I was ambivalent about as I've never found manually opening and closing liftgates to be unduly arduous or inconvenient. As such, it was not a feature I was looking for when shopping for a replacement. The Ascent came with one, and it's proving to be more of a liability.
I've been really busy but I've been wanting to try leaving mine open one day when I am not at work. Now, I can try it while I am at work since I am working from home. Tomorrow, I will leave my liftgate open all day. I'd done that once before in the past without issue.

Ironically, my Accessport killed my battery twice. BOTH of those times were user error, and NOT a problem with @COBB Tuning's design (I highly recommend the Accessport). For those who own one, (a) turn ON auto shut-off, and (b) turn ON shut off on low battery, and (c) do not interrupt the auto-shut-off process. I did (a) above, and then did the opposite of (c) which basically made the Accessport stay on forever (until the battery drained). As I said, user error. Had I at least done (a) and (b), I wouldn't have had a problem. Ah well, live and learn.

ANYWAYS...
I will try the liftgate again tomorrow. And, keep in mind, Subaru doesn't announce anything (re: fixes) until they've finished it and tested it and thinks it works, so, not hearing about an upcoming fix doesn't mean anything. Think about the hood shaking issues, as an example. They listened, they researched and verified the problem, they created a fix, and THEN they announced it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the fob in my front right pocket and bent down to tie my shoe and I heard the lift gate open a few days ago. Since, I try not to put the fob in my pants pocket like I do with my wallet. My wife said she had it open on her when rummaging through her bag. Both fobs have a rubberized sleeve on them. We have them in RF blocker pouches at night because we hang the keys just inside the front door which is right beside the Ascent parked in the garage.

·
Registered
856 Posts
We certainly have to put up with a lot of inconvenience for the convenience of keyless entry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts