Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone is considering a pet barrier for their Ascent. I have wanted one for a bit with my Jeep but I never found a good one. From what I can understand, the one from Subaru is just a luggage divider and not suitable for pets.

I would be using it behind the 2nd row with the 3rd row folded flat. Any recommendations? I don't have my Ascent yet, but wanting ideas.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone is considering a pet barrier for their Ascent. I have wanted one for a bit with my Jeep but I never found a good one. From what I can understand, the one from Subaru is just a luggage divider and not suitable for pets.

I would be using it behind the 2nd row with the 3rd row folded flat. Any recommendations? I don't have my Ascent yet, but wanting ideas.

Thanks all!
Someone on the forums linked to this one that they're using in their Ascent...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZHRYFI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

·
Registered
965 Posts
From what I can understand, the one from Subaru is just a luggage divider and not suitable for pets.
Correct. What ended up happening with the one from Subaru is that they had to redesign it because of the side curtain airbags. They noticed a minor issue - because the one we had was pretty much fixed and solid in the car, when the airbags deployed, they would tend to shove the barrier through the other side of the car.

So they had to put openings in it for the airbags - which then made it unusable for pets.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct. What ended up happening with the one from Subaru is that they had to redesign it because of the side curtain airbags. They noticed a minor issue - because the one we had was pretty much fixed and solid in the car, when the airbags deployed, they would tend to shove the barrier through the other side of the car.

So they had to put openings in it for the airbags - which then made it unusable for pets.
Huh. Good to know!

I like that one linked, but I wish it had a mesh; my dog would somehow manage to get herself stuck! Did they post pictures of it?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All, I’ve just received the Bushwhacker 50” wide pet barrier and it fits perfectly!

I might end end spraying the tubes black and replacing the lock bolts with studs but that is just cosmetic.

Amazon, around $85.

Nice! I like the way that looks! I wonder if my dog would try to weasel around it!

·
Registered
561 Posts
In June 1983, the Romney family left their Belmont, Massachusetts home on their way to Romney's parents' cottage in Beach O'Pines, Ontario for an annual vacation along the shore of Lake Huron. Seamus rode in a carrier on the roof of the family's Chevrolet Caprice station wagon for the 12 hour trip. Romney had built a windshield for the carrier to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.[1] During the 650-mile (1,050 km) trip, Seamus got diarrhea. Romney stopped at a gas station to wash the dog, the carrier and the car. With Seamus back in the carrier, the family continued on their way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi All, I’ve just received the Bushwhacker 50” wide pet barrier and it fits perfectly!

I might end end spraying the tubes black and replacing the lock bolts with studs but that is just cosmetic.

Amazon, around $85.

Nice! I like the way that looks! I wonder if my dog would try to weasel around it!
The gap is small and the top barely touches the headliner. View through it from the review mirror is good too and it fixes via 2 straps around the headrests. There are 2 more straps you can use to go around the baby seat tethers on the backs of the seats if necessary but I don’t think it’s needed which allows for quick removal by just taking out the headrests.

The lock bolts aren’t absolutely needed either or you can skip a few to aid in easy collapsing to store in the back when not in use.

All in all, very happy with this relatively lower priced option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received the Subaru barrier today. It does have large gaps for the curtain airbags as expected, I can live with them.

However, it is a definite downgrade compared to the OEM barrier in my 2009 Forester. The Forester barrier can be temporarily removed using no tools (secured with large thumbscrews) and can be used simultaneously with the cargo cover.

The Ascent barrier is removed/installed (even temporarily) with an Allen wrench. It installs using the same indent as the cargo cover, so the can not be used simultaneously.

Barrier really seems like an afterthought. The tool free removal and install would be easy to address in the design. The cover less so.

It's worth mentioning that the 3rd row must be folded when the barrier is in use. So you must use tools to remove the barrier in order to use the third row. This is likely to be a more coming situation than what would require the removal of the (for example) Forester barrier, yes it's is much more complicated to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Amazon, around $85.
Would this be suitable behind the captains chairs? My smallest dog is 18lbs and is a weasle to get to a human. Just wondering if it can get fairly flush with the floor.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hey all!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Would this be suitable behind the captains chairs? My smallest dog is 18lbs and is a weasle to get to a human. Just wondering if it can get fairly flush with the floor.
I would consider the product link I posted and the add on a section that extends down. You can easily custom cut the size and attach with same clips they provide for their other section. Those types of clips can also be found in electrical supply stores (not home depot). They are used for wire cable tray in commercial and industrial applications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.