Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. The dealer I bought my wife’s Ascent from was putting some kind of premium on this PermaPlate protection plan. Despite them insisting that they already applied it and everything, I was able to get them to take it off the price of our used 2020, which I was happy about since I felt like the paint needed a detail anyways.

Yesterday, I clay barred the vehicle and the picture below is JUST the hood. The Ascent only has 5k miles. I don’t think I have ever in ten years of doing this gotten so much up off of the hood. My wife is over the moon with how the car looks now... Is this PermaPlate or what? It doesn’t seem like a great product...

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
they probably applied it right over the dirt. not sure what PermaPlate is, my dealer applied something called Excalibur and wanted to sell the kit to maintain it and the plan to have it reapplied "anytime you wanted" it. I passed.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Permaplate is not a coating. It is a warranty type protection plan for various interior and or exterior auto aesthetics. It can include windshield, apohlstery, pdr, exterior paint.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That looks like atmospheric contaminants (acid rain, road grime, tree sap, etc). That is a lot. Also, remember, after you clay a small section, it's best to fold the clay onto itself and expose a new section of clay so you don't run the risk of scratching. I usually do about 1/3 of my hood, then fold. Personally, I rarely keep the clay for a second car. It looks like that is a Meguairs clay (it used to be gray). I've recently switched to Mothers for clay as I don't think it's quite as aggressive (yellow bar). Both work well, I just find Mothers to be less "sticky" to the paint but as long as you are using a good lubricant, you should be ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts