Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 4th time I've had to change plans because of the dead battery in my 2019 Ascent Premium. I'm getting pretty fed up. After the first time (10/2019, about 7 months after taking delivery), I replaced the factory battery with an Everstart from Walmart. Since then, if I don't drive it for at least 30 minutes every week or so, or forget to put the charger on it at least every 2 weeks, I can't count on it starting. After the first incident I had the dealer check current drain and they said it was OK. I never, ever leave the tailgate open for more than a few minutes. The key fob is stored in the house about 50 ft. away.

I love my Ascent (when it starts.) I get good gas milage (27 winter, 33 summer). It pulls my little camp trailer just fine. It's just an unreasonably high maintenance vehicle when it comes to electrical power. And with the lack of cars on just about every car lot in town, I can't even threaten to trade it in on something else.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a battery tender that could be permanently mounted in the Ascent? I'd like to get something so I could get in the habit of plugging it in every time I park it at home.

--
Moose

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
This is the 4th time I've had to change plans because of the dead battery in my 2019 Ascent Premium. I'm getting pretty fed up. After the first time (10/2019, about 7 months after taking delivery), I replaced the factory battery with an Everstart from Walmart. Since then, if I don't drive it for at least 30 minutes every week or so, or forget to put the charger on it at least every 2 weeks, I can't count on it starting. After the first incident I had the dealer check current drain and they said it was OK. I never, ever leave the tailgate open for more than a few minutes. The key fob is stored in the house about 50 ft. away.

I love my Ascent (when it starts.) I get good gas milage (27 winter, 33 summer). It pulls my little camp trailer just fine. It's just an unreasonably high maintenance vehicle when it comes to electrical power. And with the lack of cars on just about every car lot in town, I can't even threaten to trade it in on something else.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a battery tender that could be permanently mounted in the Ascent? I'd like to get something so I could get in the habit of plugging it in every time I park it at home.

--
Moose
tailgate controller update

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So the tailgate controller is a major draw even when the tailgate is closed and the car is off?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I want to have the tailgate controller update done in any case. I just have not heard that the tailgate drain is a problem when it's not left open.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the tailgate control (PRG) update reduces the draw on the battery if the tailgate is left open for more than 20 minutes. If Moose leaves it open for only a few minutes, whether the new or old PRG controller is installed or not shouldn't make a difference in the draw on the battery?

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
27 Posts
Since then, if I don't drive it for at least 30 minutes every week or so, or forget to put the charger on it at least every 2 weeks, I can't count on it starting.
You can get a detachable connector for Battery Tender brand chargers, I do this for my dirt bike so I don't have to pull the side plastic off to charge the battery.

However, I don't suggest this, I suggest you drive every vehicle you have at least once a week, bring them up to operating temperature and, if you can, go WOT a few times. From my experience, nothing with an ICE likes to sit for more than a few weeks
:)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
So the tailgate controller is a major draw even when the tailgate is closed and the car is off?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I want to have the tailgate controller update done in any case. I just have not heard that the tailgate drain is a problem when it's not left open.
IMO you should have all updates you qualify for completed. There is some underlying issue going on (assuming your key location is a non issue, and your tailgate left open is a non issue and lights are not left on and you do not leave it parked for many days or weeks at a time.

I have posted on the forum how to check for a draw. It is doable DYI but it is involved.

This is the method I would recommend. I have not reviewed the method linked above to compare.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
269 Posts

--
Moose
Perhaps look into installing a higher rated AGM battery? Many cars with high draw functions (like auto start/stop) use AGMs due to higher discharge tolerance. They cost a bit more , $150 to $200 range, but that is a small price to pay compared to switching cars. I'd probably look into buying a Lithium-Ion jump start pack I see good capacity ones on Amazon and Costco frequently for around $100 & up. Cheap peace of mind to not worry about calling for a jump start from AAA or Subaru if a battery does go dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts