Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else attempted to load the back of the car for a family trip...but they can't really pack it in because everything falls out? Or opened the liftgate to have everything fall out? I don't understand why this car does not have the glass pop open similar to how my Suburban did. This allowed you to load and unload the back of the car without having things fall out. I've taken a few trips with the family already and this is an issue for me. Not sure if anyone else shares this irritation!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
I don't understand why this car does not have the glass pop open similar to how my Suburban did.
This style of liftgate design has generally fallen out of favor for a number of reasons. It makes the liftgate more expensive to produce, and it's more prone to leakage as well. You have two sets of hinges, and two sets of weatherstripping. It makes the whole assembly heavier, and it complicates placement of the wiper motor and wiper blade. I'm not saying there aren't benefits to glass that opens separately, but there are many drawbacks as well. I couldn't presume to know why Subaru didn't elect to design this in, but I'm guessing it was one or more of the factors above.

As far as loading, I guess some basic load/support theories apply to this situation. Try to load the heavier and/or boxier items at the bottom, so they effectively support the load that's placed above. If you have stuff that's trying to fall out of the vehicle as you load it, it sounds like the items at the bottom aren't supporting the weight of the items on the top. You could also try parking facing down an incline instead of facing up. Very few driveways or parking areas are perfectly level -- try letting gravity help you by angling the front of the car down if possible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you're packing a trip for a fmaily of 7, you need all the space you can get. you can't fully load the rear with the tail gate open..can't stack. I guess a net would help to a certain extent. In the end, I guess i got accustomed to placing things in the back, closing the gate then opening the glass and "filling in all the holes" to maximize storage!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Has anyone else attempted to load the back of the car for a family trip...but they can't really pack it in because everything falls out? Or opened the liftgate to have everything fall out? I don't understand why this car does not have the glass pop open similar to how my Suburban did. This allowed you to load and unload the back of the car without having things fall out. I've taken a few trips with the family already and this is an issue for me. Not sure if anyone else shares this irritation!
Yes, every winter, except this year, we spend 2-3 months on the road visiting kids and family in AZ and CA. Our last trip was the first time taking the then new 2019 Limited 8 seat, which replaced my Ram crew cab truck, our previous cross country hauler. I bought the Ascent specifically for this purpose after looking at all of the competition at that time, Fall of 2018. My wife and I travel with 2 old dogs so the second row seats were taken up by the dogs and their stuff. Pretty much everything we needed for the 8,400 mile trip had to go in the cargo area.

I won't drive with the inside rear view mirror blocked, so the back window had to be clear. We spent about 3 weeks of the trip traveling so every night a bunch of stuff had to go up to the hotel room and back into the Subaru the next morning. Plus there were a couple of large suitcases and misc other stuff that stayed in the car.

We had to open the rear gate frequently, so having things fall out at every rest stop wasn't an option.

I found a packing sequence where everything fit, the 3rd row side windows were blocked, but everything on the luggage cart except the cooler went in and out of the rear cargo area, many times.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
When I traded my 2017 Forester XT, I kept my OEM Back Cargo Netting ... not thinking it would fit. But, to my surprise, it fit just fine on the ALREADY existing hooks. (In my Forester, you had to install the round hooks to attach the net.

Not only does it keep stuff (not everything of course, if your fully loaded) from simply rolling out the back, but the "pouch" portion of the net is awesome for lighter grocery trips keeping everything right there when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
I don't understand why this car does not have the glass pop open similar to how my Suburban did
The answer is weight, cost and...crash testing. "Flipper" windows have all but gone the way of the dodo bird in many vehicles that used to have them. And yes, the other poster who mentioned the cargo net is spot on for a simple solution to help mitigate this issue.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Only car we had a lift/retractable rear tailgate window on was an Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme wagon. All of my other wagons/SUV's did not have separate rear glass access. It's a great feature, but I understand the costs and failure modes associated with it, and I do understand why they don't do it anymore. It would be great to have though, especially any modern day midsize 3 row SUV where there isn't a lot of room behind the seats and stuff wants to fly out when you open it. Don't think we'll be seeing it anytime soon on the ascent or rivals.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
... but I understand the costs and failure modes associated with it, and I do understand why they don't do it anymore.
No doubt! Agree completely.

At one point, I think I may have owned one of the only 2000's model Ford Explorer withOUT a cracked rear liftgate (plastic below the window) 😀. You can probably pull up behind a 2002-2007 (maybe more years too, I don't know) now and you will see the crack ... normally on the left-side of the Ford Emblem. Heck there is/was a class action lawsuit against Ford for that. When I see one of those generation Explorers without the crack, I am surprised.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yep. My late '90s Explorer had a flip TG window. Very handy to put sports bags, small coolers, and other small items/purchases in the back, get access with bikes on the rack or the trailer's jack in the way... No issues in 15 years of ownership...except for gas struts getting weak, which were easy and cheap to replace.

I'd gladly trade the power TG for a flip window.

Net wise, I'm using the net from my deceased RX350.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
Our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the flipper glass in back. The glass was frameless and a simple spring loaded bolt kept it "closed". Yes, " closed", not closed. Everytime you closed the tailgate, the window would pop open. The dealer could never get the bolt adjusted correctly. Just another of the long list of reasons we were happy to return that car after the end of the 3 year lease.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn...i had this option on my 2015 suburban and used it ALL the time and never had any issues like those mentioned above. The only issue (was because of my own abuse) the defroster for the back window had exposed flexible cables so the window could open, those got torn up because I treated it like a pickup with things going in and out, camping, etc. I definitely miss the convenience of it though!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the flipper glass in back.
MY11-13 of the Grand Cherokee still had it, but it was removed with the MY14 mid-cycle refresh and isn't likely to return, even with "WL" debuting for MY22.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a lot of practical useable rear storage space for our very active senior citizen family of 2! Lousy cup holders, poor front row door and cabin storage, front door and rear door rub together, replaced transmission and fuel pump at 12,000 miles, and tired of pro Subaru pundits, are they paid by Subaru?, defending every negative comment that people throw out on this forum. Someone with 1000's of defensive comments logged must have alot of time on their hands, or is getting paid. I want my Honda back!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Subaru has an accessory net that will cover the back. It will do what you need.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
We had a watermelon fall out of our Outback and roll out into the street once.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honestly. It has never been a problem. Not even close.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.