Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Peerless Auto-Trac tire chains will work with a 2020 Ascent touring? I see the manual (p 385) suggests no chains but that spring chains may work, and suggests only Class S (which Auto-Trac are). Has anyone used these or know if they'll work fine with the clearance? Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Does anyone know if the Peerless Auto-Trac tire chains will work with a 2020 Ascent touring? I see the manual (p 385) suggests no chains but that spring chains may work, and suggests only Class S (which Auto-Trac are). Has anyone used these or know if they'll work fine with the clearance? Thank you!!!!
I just went through some research on auto chains since I live in Colorado. In 99% of the driving the AWD is adequate and legal for the winter roads. Only on the most severe weather would I be required by law to put on chains or facsimile. Because of the manual restriction, I decided if I were to have some device I would go with the tire sock. In fact I am ending up with just using winter tires so I can forgo chains or a sock setup and drive on dry roads if necessary.

Just know that any damage they do to the vehicle will probably not be covered. Are chains really that relevant where you travel? Remember you will need take them off on dry roads. Years ago the plows did not take all the snow down to pavement. Now they often do so the chains can tear up the roads as well as break off and damage the vehicle.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Get the Autosoc that you'll probably never use. You will need it for two wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I live in Northern CA and spend time around Lake Tahoe. I haven’t ever needed anything on main roads but we often stay places where it takes plows a while to get to so want these for those purposes and also in case we ever need them if we are stuck. Would prefer a cable or chain option. I have seen the auto socks but having never used them they don’t look too durable. Can they be used more than a few times?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Can they be used more than a few times?
I've no idea. I never use any such thing, even when our roads are closed due to a blizzard and the cops are in Humvees, and my brother needs to get to Medical Control.

I just hop in the Subie, drive him to work, and stop to help the cops pull stranded motorists out of the snow. ?

Seriously, I would be surprised if you used them more than once. Just get good winter rated tires, if you're worried.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I've no idea. I never use any such thing, even when our roads are closed due to a blizzard and the cops are in Humvees, and my brother needs to get to Medical Control.

I just hop in the Subie, drive him to work, and stop to help the cops pull stranded motorists out of the snow. ?
View attachment 1680

Seriously, I would be surprised if you used them more than once. Just get good winter rated tires, if you're worried.

View attachment 1680

I am so looking forward to this winter! Subie and snow tires. I am still provisioning for the auto winter transition EM supplies. I plan on going back to one of your earlier posts for tow straps. I put my money saved from chains / autosoc towards snow tires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
TL/DR - use the chain vendor's website (peerlesschain . com) to find the correct p/n. And, the s-class did appear to clear the struts just fine when I was trying them on.

I purchased the auto-tracs off amazon mostly for the extra piece of mind. However, be warned, the fitment guide on there ended up being wrong for 245/50-20 tires. Sadly i discovered this after the return window had closed... anyway.. i'm ordering the correct p/n (0232105) and will confirm when I can.

Dedicated tires would be ideal... and probably someday. But my current driving habits/needs don't warrant it at this time. The stock tires faired decently during the big Seattle snow this last winter. Worse traction seemed to be the sloppy/slush conditions (which clog up tread) when temps started to warm above freezing. But when it was nice and below freezing... they handled powder and compact snow/ice just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do some research on tire cables. From what I remember, they are preferred over chains for AWD vehicles. I do a lot of photography in some more remote mountainous areas and even though I ran dedicated snow tires on my Forester, I wanted some extra peace of mind if I ever found myself in a bad situation. I used them twice over 5 years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TL/DR - use the chain vendor's website (peerlesschain . com) to find the correct p/n. And, the s-class did appear to clear the struts just fine when I was trying them on.

I purchased the auto-tracs off amazon mostly for the extra piece of mind. However, be warned, the fitment guide on there ended up being wrong for 245/50-20 tires. Sadly i discovered this after the return window had closed... anyway.. i'm ordering the correct p/n (0232105) and will confirm when I can.

Dedicated tires would be ideal... and probably someday. But my current driving habits/needs don't warrant it at this time. The stock tires faired decently during the big Seattle snow this last winter. Worse traction seemed to be the sloppy/slush conditions (which clog up tread) when temps started to warm above freezing. But when it was nice and below freezing... they handled powder and compact snow/ice just fine.
I'm definitely interested in what you find. I mostly drive around Charlotte and it doesn't make sense to get winter tires, but would like better flexibility getting up to my mountain cabin in the winter. I don't trust the auto socks to last on the bumpy gravel road up the last 2,000 feet of elevation to get there.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I'm definitely interested in what you find. I mostly drive around Charlotte and it doesn't make sense to get winter tires, but would like better flexibility getting up to my mountain cabin in the winter. I don't trust the auto socks to last on the bumpy gravel road up the last 2,000 feet of elevation to get there.
I don't think you will need anything for a bumpy gravel road. At worst, X-Mode, but I doubt even that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think you will need anything for a bumpy gravel road. At worst, X-Mode, but I doubt even that.
So this road does get marginally plowed by a private service, but also gets plenty of ice and up to 100" of snow per year (~5,000ft mountain), and the road gets up to 12% grade, single lane width with a steep drop on the side. Makes me very nervous to consider traversing that in the stock tires and nothing extra.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
So this road does get marginally plowed by a private service, but also gets plenty of ice and up to 100" of snow per year (~5,000ft mountain), and the road gets up to 12% grade, single lane width with a steep drop on the side. Makes me very nervous to consider traversing that in the stock tires and nothing extra.
How soon are you planning on buying? I actually planned on reaching out to Autosoc this weekend, so, I hope to have some answers this coming week.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How soon are you planning on buying? I actually planned on reaching out to Autosoc this weekend, so, I hope to have some answers this coming week.
I've been trying to figure out what to do about this since I picked up my Ascent last November, so I'm able to wait at least a few more days ?

Thanks as usual for the work you do around here!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been trying to figure out what to do about this since I picked up my Ascent last November, so I'm able to wait at least a few more days ?

Thanks as usual for the work you do around here!
I would also love to hear what you find out Robert! After some more research, I've read too many reviews citing the auto-trac components breaking, so am leaning toward the Z-SUV/LT or the Super Z6 chains, but autosoc is still on the short list, so would welcome any more info. (or information from anyone who owns the Z-SUV or Z6. I used to have the Z6 with my Forester, and can't tell what the differences are between those two models except perhaps slightly smaller chains)

·
Registered
80 Posts

Just a quick conformation that while I probably will never need them... The peerless (0232105) auto trac do fit the OEM 20" wheels/tires perfectly.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Their automated system responded that they got my email, and then another responded that they don't read the very email address their contact form sends to. ?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Their automated system responded that they got my email, and then another responded that they don't read the very email address their contact form sends to. ?
Peerless headquarters:
Headquarters:
800-873-1916

Corporate Headquarters
1416 East Sanborn St.
Winona, MN 55987
Ph: (800) 873-1916
Fax: (800) 356-1149

Customer Service:
[email protected]

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Peerless headquarters:
Headquarters:
800-873-1916

Corporate Headquarters
1416 East Sanborn St.
Winona, MN 55987
Ph: (800) 873-1916
Fax: (800) 356-1149

Customer Service:
[email protected]
Not them. Autosock. Though I might ask them the same questions.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Not them. Autosock. Though I might ask them the same questions.
https://mcgeecompany.com/contact/ call and talk to sales representative or call their main office in Denver and talk to the primaries Joanne and Chuck McGee. It is a family owned business that started in Denver and expanded from there. Here is the sales rep in Denver. Let me know if that doesn't work and I will find some time to knock on their door with whatever questions you have.
Deb Hall
Phone: 1.800.525.8888
Email:
[email protected]

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
RE: AUTO SOCK
Hi! Here's their response. They were a little behind on their emails...
Sorry for the delayed reply.

The AutoSock is designed to be used on snow packed and icy roads, if those gravel or similar roads have a heavy snow pack on them the AutoSocks will perform well.

The concern is the areas with no snow pack which can result in some damage to the AutoSock from the gravel and rocky roads.

Using in deep snow and mud are not advisable.

We have had a few reports of Subaru and other vehicle owners using the AutoSock just for the scenario you area asking about and have had great success.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts