Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PCV failed while towing our trailer on a mountain pass, debries from the PCV fell down in the engine, and into the turbo charger. Car lost power, lots of blue smoke out the exhaust and under the hood. All the systems started crashing, and sending alerts to the dash. We got to the side of the road. Don’t wait on getting this recall taken care of. 100 plus mile tow to our dealer,
They took the engine apart found the valve but the small parts were unaccounted for. Car will be out for at least 3 weeks. Hoping for a new engine. But not feeling good about this vehicle that We owe $30,000.00 on.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Downside is being out of a car for a while. Upside is you get a new engine, so you almost start over on your mileage!

Subaru will take care of you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
PCV failed while towing our trailer on a mountain pass, debries from the PCV fell down in the engine, and into the turbo charger. Car lost power, lots of blue smoke out the exhaust and under the hood. All the systems started crashing, and sending alerts to the dash. We got to the side of the road. Don’t wait on getting this recall taken care of. 100 plus mile tow to our dealer,
They took the engine apart found the valve but the small parts were unaccounted for. Car will be out for at least 3 weeks. Hoping for a new engine. But not feeling good about this vehicle that We owe $30,000.00 on.
Can we assume you got another Ascent as a loaner?
Btw ,sorry this happened and hope it didn’t ruin your trip.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
yes, they will replace the engine and whatever else was damaged. Happy to hear you made to the side of the road.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And for the real question-
What happened to the trailer?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Please call Subaru of America so this goes on record. As of the recall publish date, there were zero cars in this country (and, iirc, one worldwide) that had lost motive power. It is important for them to know there's one now in this country.

Get a case number.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
SOA will cover all your costs. It is nerve racking to be sure but it will end well.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
No just an Outback
Depending on your real expected volume requirements and the expected duration of needing a loaner, if you really need the Ascent, I would communicate that to the dealer and if necessary to SOA. When I had a loaner, I did not mind the Outback or even the crosstrek for a day or so, but when I knew I needed the larger vehicle, they gave me an Ascent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:: the car had some older codes indicating oil in the catalytic converter as well. We had noticed blue smoke on startups for a while, also had noticed a drop in fuel economy for a few months. Dealer says as far as the PCV repair they will need to further tear down The engine and recover 2 washers, spring, and one other missing part. However they have not said that they will install a new motor. I have ask for one

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Update:: the car had some older codes indicating oil in the catalytic converter as well. We had noticed blue smoke on startups for a while, also had noticed a drop in fuel economy for a few months. Dealer says as far as the PCV repair they will need to further tear down The engine and recover 2 washers, spring, and one other missing part. However they have not said that they will install a new motor. I have ask for one
If they cannot recover every piece, Subaru will be buying a new short block for you.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
SOA has established a very specific process for these events that the dealer must follow, which is why the dealer at this point had not made that declaration. If any part is not recoverable in whole then the declaration will be made. I would just keep an eye on the process but not worry about it. SOA has taken care of everyone who has had issues of this nature.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
My vin shows two recalls as of Nov 222019 1 for CVT transmission and 2 PCV Valve. Funny I had my car in for service the two days before and nothing mentioned about outstanding recalls
not so funny. I would be P O. If it were me, I would have a talk with the service manager, letting he/she know that I expect them to check on all SOA communications regarding my vehicle each and every time I come in for any service. Because the dealership did not take those steps, your family was put at risk, you were greatly inconvenienced, expended funds for vehicle recovery, lost time and anxiety about the vehicle. All of this was avoidable. I would also let SOA know about the timing that you describe above. SOA takes signifiance steps to inform their dealer network of any issues and or recalls for each and every vehicle. This is not done because they are bored.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My vin shows two recalls as of Nov 222019 1 for CVT transmission and 2 PCV Valve. Funny I had my car in for service the two days before and nothing mentioned about outstanding recalls
So they serviced your vehicle and did not perform the two recalls on it? Amazing level of service there . If I'm SOA I'm billing back this delaer svc. center for this repair

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have talked to SOA they are trying to get in touch with the dealer. I guess they have been playing phone tag. However SOA seemed concerned that the service department did not even communicate the recalls. But I still know little about what ever is going on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.