Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have used the Google site search to try and find the payload capacity of the various trim levels of the Ascent, but I could not find it for all of the various trim levels.

I have an 8 passenger Premium with pkg #12, Popular package #4 and the hitch receiver install by Subaru at the factory.

My door placard reads:
The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 600kg or 1323lb.

Before I purchased my Ascent, I saw a Limited on the dealer's lot that noted 1158lb.

Could you please share the weight noted on your placard, as well as your trim level.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Hey Ken, I know you know most of this, but I figured I'd answer the questions we know will come next while I try to answer your questions as well.

Towing limit is 5,000 pounds.

Cargo weight in the vehicle is different as you noted. You have the highest. The Touring and a certain Limited trim have the lowest cargo weight but weigh the most (4,603 pounds and 4,608 pounds respectively). Cargo capacity is 1,152 pounds for those two, while the Premium is as you noted.

GVWR is *always* 6,000 pounds, no matter what trim level or accessories you get.

Tongue weight comes out of that cargo weight limit you noted.

The Base level Ascent can only tow 2,000 pounds, due to the lack of a CVT cooler.

I posted a chart somewhere in the forums. I'll see if I can find it, if you don't first.

Actual weights per trim are here:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/ascent/ascent2019.html

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Robert,

Thanks as always.

I do have all of that info, including the weights on cars101.com.

I'm looking to see what the payload capacity on the various trims are.

You noted that the Limited and Touring have a payload capacity of 1152 lb., but I actually wrote down 1158 lb. on a Limited I saw at the dealership. I'l double check that weight I stated. I could be remembering incorrectly.

Was your OEM hitch in place when you received the car?

Thanks,
Ken

I just checked my notes and it was 1158 lb. for a 7 passenger Limited. At least that is what I wrote down in my notes.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If I was to put in 7 people they could only weigh 164lbs each. With me in it I guess I have a 6 passenger Ascent.:sad::dunno:

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
So far...

Here's what I've found so far

• Base: 1,502
  • Premium Pkg #12: 1158
  • Premium Pkg #12, Package #4: 1,323
  • Limited Pkg #21: 1,158
  • Touring (all): 1,158

I have no idea why two Premium Package 12's have different numbers on their door tags.

Next week, I will have access to a dozen more to check.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If I was to put in 7 people they could only weigh 164lbs each. With me in it I guess I have a 6 passenger Ascent.:sad::dunno:
Oh you can load 7ppl @ 164lbs/person. The real question is: Do you anticipate on loading 7 people that's has an average weight of 164lbs in the future?

Ultimately, for practical purpose on the Ascent, the average weight should be considered about 120lbs/person (min of 50lbs to max of 200lbs).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's what I've found so far

• Base: 1,502
  • Premium Pkg #12: 1158
  • Premium Pkg #12, Package #4: 1,323
  • Limited Pkg #21: 1,158
  • Touring (all): 1,158

I have no idea why two Premium Package 12's have different numbers on their door tags.

Next week, I will have access to a dozen more to check.
My Premium is the eight passenger one with #12, Popular package #4 and the OEM trailer hitch and it definitely has 1323lb. on the door placard.

I did post a photo in a different thread.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Yep, but I am still baffled...

My Premium is the one with #12, Popular package #4 and the OEM trailer hitch and it definitely has 1323lb. on the door placard.
I believe you, and I've seen one other like that.

But, I am STILL baffled as to why...

...it's not like adding package #4 reduces the curb weight, lol. :grin: :tango_face_wink:

That's part of why I want to check the tags at my local dealership and see what the new ones are showing. They're pretty high volume, so, there's always a dozen Ascents going in and out at any time.

I am wondering if the other Premium (1,158 pounds) is mislabeled.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I checked and found that the other Premium data was posted by member norway and it is a 7 passenger, while mine is an 8 passenger, but that cannot be the reason.

That's why I am asking more folks for confirmation of theirs.

Thanks for checking into this 'mystery' for us Robert. :)

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I checked and found that the other Premium data was posted by member norway and it is a 7 passenger, while mine is an 8 passenger, but that cannot be the reason.

That's why I am asking more folks for confirmation of theirs.

Thanks for checking into this 'mystery' for us Robert. :)
Don't thank me yet. Let's see if my local dealership will turn over more than a dozen key fobs to me first, so I can dig through their lot. :grin: :tango_face_wink:

Crossing my fingers!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little more help, please

I was hoping that more folks would chime in on the payload (passengers and cargo) weight on their door along with their trim line, as it is pretty quick and easy.

I am still confused (well that is always my normal state of mind, if I'm honest) about my Premium with 1323 lb. on the placard and member norway's with 1158 lb. on it. Both of those are shown by actual photos in other threads here on the Ascent form.

A bit more input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
Ken, do you have all the same options and features as "norway" does? That's generally where any vehicle weight differences lie and that affects the permissible cargo weight. (Since this is the towing area, I'll redundantly reiterate that tongue weight and the weight of the ball mount and ball are included in cargo weight and that has to be subtracted before adding up passengers and snacks)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
(Since this is the towing area, I'll redundantly reiterate that tongue weight and the weight of the ball mount and ball are included in cargo weight and that has to be subtracted before adding up passengers and snacks)
Thanks Jim.

Member norway states pkg #12, which I have and I also have Popular Package #4. That is really what I am trying to figure out. I checked this morning, as I thought maybe he optioned 20" wheels, but his placard notes 18" wheels, just like mine. I also had the OEM hitch installed as it was delivered to me.

The hitch receiver is also included in passenger and cargo weight (payload). I believe the hitch receiver weighs in the low 40 lb. range, as 42 lb. is the weight noted for the Curt EcoHitch for the Ascent, and they are quite similar.

I also know that my Ascent, without me in it, weighed 4,520 lb. on the CAT scale and 4,700 lb. with me in it. Both CAT scale papers are laying beside me as I type this. Yes, I weigh 180 lb.

When I take the Cars101 figure for the 8 passenger Premium with Pkg 12 of 4463 lb. and add 14 pounds (that is the difference between what was in the car when I got it and what I've added and my 180 lb. and 43 lb. for the hitch & wiring (just a guess), I get 4,700 lb.

I am still curious to see if other trims also have payload differences on their placards.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I started a thread in the forums...

The interesting thing is that MOST of the difference in trim levels exactly match the differences in tire load rating. Brandon Ebert there caught that - BUT it doesn't explain all of them. It does bring up some interesting questions about actual load capacity though.

So, the question is, what else are they using to determine it, because, some of the Premiums are rated differently, and, the Base is rated differently. The load rating is exactly 165 pounds different between 18" and 20" - and so are *MOST* of the load ratings.

The Ascent tires are rated for a LOT more than that. I already have all of the tire info, hub info, lug nut info, etc.

18"
Tire size: 245/60R18 105H @ 35psi
-- 130mph speed rated, 2039 pounds ea

Wheel size: 18 x 7½ J
Inset: 55 (2.17)
P.C.D.: 114.3 (4.5)
682 revolutions per mile

20"
Tire size: 245/50R20 102H @ 33psi
-- 130mph speed rated, 1874 pounds ea

Wheel size: 20 x 7½ J
Inset: 55 (2.17)
P.C.D.: 114.3 (4.5)
681 revolutions per mile

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Cargo and Tire Loads...

So, it seems it's all the tires (and the Base carries more PROBABLY because it doesn't have the CVT cooler and other stuff).

So far, it works out to:

18" tires: Load Rated: 2,039 Cargo: 1,323 lbs
20" tires: Load Rated: 1,874 Cargo: 1,158 lbs
-----------------------------------------------
Differences in weight: 165 lbs ------ 165 lbs

And then the Base at 1,502 pounds cargo and passenger rating.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you Robert!

I think that you "nailed" it.

Member norway's link is here:
Payload 1,502 or or 1,158lbs? Post #8
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/56671-post8.html

I did look to see what tires he had on his Premium the other day and noted the placard said the same 18" as mine.

The only difference I can see between his Premium and mine is on the VIN plate. His build date is 08/18 and mine is 09/18.

The payload noted on the sticker doesn't seem to have anything to do with the options added during the build. At least that is my observation at this time, and probably the reason that the math doesn't work and add up to exactly 6,000 lb. There appears to be a 'fudge factor' built in.

I don't know whether member norway's is a 7 passenger or 8 passenger. Mine is an 8.

I'm very interested in knowing the passenger and cargo capacity for the Premium with pkg #14 as it also has the 20" wheels. I'd bet that it's 1158 lb.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Turns out it's 1,323 pounds. Odd.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Interesting...

Interestingly, the FTA considers the average passenger weight (male adult, female adult) to be 150 pounds. A recent study from two years ago suggests it should now be 180 pounds, which current health and weight stats for this country support. I would presume that for the vast majority of the target audience, 165 pounds would be a suitable average weight (2-4 adult to adult like people, 2-5 children sized people). I've seen the 165 pound number cited elsewhere, but I cannot for the life of me recall where.

That leaves 3 arbitrary pounds:
  • 7x165=1,150 pounds
  • 8x165=1,320 pounds

I'd like to find a Limited 8 passenger, but it seems that the 8 passengers in any trim aren't that popular. :plain:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts