Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time locating exact payload capacity for the Ascent Limited. I've found 2 figures...1,502 and 1,158lbs. Is 1,502 for all but the base trim?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Having a hard time locating exact payload capacity for the Ascent Limited. I've found 2 figures...1,502 and 1,158lbs. Is 1,502 for all but the base trim?
From the manual pages 507-508:
13-3. Vehicle load limit – how to determine
The load capacity of your vehicle is determined by weight, not by available cargo space. The load limit of your vehicle is shown on the vehicle placard attached to the driver’s side door pillar. Locate the statement “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lbs” on your vehicle’s placard.

The vehicle placard also shows seating capacity of your vehicle. The total load capacity includes the total weight of driver and all passengers and their belongings, any cargo, any optional equipment such as a trailer hitch, roof rack or bike carrier, etc., and the tongue load of a trailer. Therefore cargo capacity can be calculated by the following method.
Cargo capacity = Load limit − (total weight of occupants + total weight of optional equipment + tongue load of a trailer (if applicable))
For information about vehicle loading, refer to “Loading your vehicle” P386.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The payload (passenger and non-passenger/cargo weight) = GVWR - Curb Weight = 6000lbs - 4500lbs = 1500lbs. This number is too general. let's take it a bit further.

Curb Weight

Let's assume that an average US person weigh 170lbs and the car can carry upward of 8 people plus cargo. Hence, 8 passengers is 1360lbs and the remaining cargo carrying capacity is 140lbs (1500lbs - 1360lbs). Therefore, if you load stuff behind the driver thru cargo area, your max load is ~1160lbs. This is the most general way to make any preliminary engineering evaluation, and that's all we need; it's a conservative value to implement onto a vehicle that's not designed as cargo vehicle.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info!!

170lbs!?!?....Let's try 270 where I live:)

I wonder if tires play a big role in this number....i'd like to see a Premium trim numbers.

·
Administrator
12,163 Posts
The load limit is different per trim.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The load limit is different per trim.
Here’s info from Cars101...

“Weight Base pkg 01 4,430
Premium 8pass pkg 11 4451, pkg 12 4463, pkg 14 4555
Premium 7pass pkg 12 4477, pkg 14 4539
Limited 8pass pkg 21 4515, pkg 23 4608
Limited 7pass pkg 21 4499, pkg 23 4592
Touring pkg 31 4,603. “

So the load carring capacity can vary by at least 173 pounds...depending on trims and option packages....

That said, the total weight hauled should not exceed 6000 lbs. ...and that has to be balanced with the front and rear axle weight maximums...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here are both placards from our Premium pkg 12 (1158 lbs in this case), notice it isn't strictly trim/package "weight" and GVWR difference for the official occupant/cargo weight. So the confusion between the two numbers makes sense, but I'm guessing it has to do with several factors.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here are both placards from our Premium pkg 12 (1158 lbs in this case), notice it isn't strictly trim/package "weight" and GVWR difference for the official occupant/cargo weight. So the confusion between the two numbers makes sense, but I'm guessing it has to do with several factors.
Yeah, you are correct...my Touring trim shows exactly the same occupant/cargo weight limit. Additionally my certification label is exactly the same as your premium. The owners manual on page 507 discusses this...
“The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lbs” on your
vehicle’s placard.
The vehicle placard also shows seating capacity of your vehicle. The total load capacity includes the total weight of driver and all passengers and their belongings, any cargo, any optional equipment such as a trailer hitch, roof rack or bike carrier, etc., and the tongue road of a trailer. Therefore cargo capacity can be calculated by the following method.
Cargo capacity = Load limit − (total weight of occupants + total weight of optional equipment + tongue load
of a trailer (if applicable))
For information about vehicle load- ing, refer to “Loading your vehicle” FP386.“

On page 386 they discuss GVW....and mention vehicle fluids ...they specifically are not mentioned on page 507, unless you consider that as cargo, which I am inclined not too. So that might account for some user weight carrying load disparity calculation....figure gasoline at. 6.3 lbs per gallon....this issue appears to need additional clarification. How can premium and touring have the same occupancy/cargo weight restriction? Wonder what others trims are showing on these placards....standard, limited, 8 passenger, etc? On page 386,or there about, they suggest that if you think your weight is close...weigh the vehicle...ok that‘smy kind of thought, but then you are really looking at vehicle empty weight versus loaded and presuming that if you are over 1158 lbs something has to be removed? Or are you looking at GVWR..6000lbs...minus actual scale weight? Of course you must also take into account the right and left axle limits and any additional tongue weight added by towing something....IMHO SOA needs some additional clarification on where the 1158 lbs is derived.

·
Administrator
12,163 Posts
Correct, all the fluids are not a part of the cargo weight and are factored into the other numbers. They should not be used in a negative fashion as part of any towing calculation. In other words, filling the tank does not decrease towing capacity nor does it decrease interior cargo weight.

The numbers still don't add up, and that's because the vehicle is class limited at 6,000 pounds (someplace else I'd posted the federal weight ranges and classes). So, with a GVWR that's always 6,000 pounds, cargo weight and curb weight (which usually presumes full tank of gas and engine oil and antifreeze, etc) do not add up to 6,000. Curb weight is usually all necessary fluids, eg: motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and usually a full tank of gas. Dry weight is exactly what it sounds like. That number isn't on the car, afaik.

So, there's no amount of math that will make things add up to 6,000 pounds, and that's simply because that's the magic number for the class.

There is a LOT of confusion about vehicle classes - especially by tax people.
  • Class 1 is up to and including 6,000 pounds
  • Class 2 is Light truck and is 6,001–10,000 pounds inclusive
  • Class 3 is the next level of Light truck in the 10,001–14,000 pounds range inclusive

PS: If any of your tax accountants tries to push for the IRS Section 179 deduction, tell them to read the instructions, they're wrong. And so are the tax sites. The IRS starts the deduction at the Class 2 range of 6,001 pounds. We are not eligible.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Great info!!

170lbs!?!?....Let's try 270 where I live:)

I wonder if tires play a big role in this number....i'd like to see a Premium trim numbers.
The design criteria for aviation is about 170-180lbs. The determination is quite common sense with simple algebra.

my calculation is only 2lbs off and I haven't seen the numbers in that white placard yet. Keep in mind that max load is to be distributed between the two axles, generally. Again, the car is a people carrier, not cargo carrier.

·
Registered
300 Posts
1158 lb. is what I saw on a Limited at my dealership.

My Premium notes 1323 lb. for occupants and cargo.
My Premium has Pkg #12, Popular Package #4 and a factory installed trailer hitch.

Sorry about the poor photo, but it is raining out and had to take the photo in the garage using a flashlight as a light source.

Ken

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.