Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was my understanding that we shouldn't use chains on our Subaru. Are there different sock options? Any particular recommendation?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently have z-chain for my front wheel drive vehicle and wonder since the z-chain comes in a package for two tires, which two Subaru tires should I install them on, or do I really need four. What is Subaru's directive on this?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Those huge plastic spike zipties (ie semi chain) seems like a good solution, able to bite into icy road condition. Probably easier than chain or socks

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Autosock. Accepted in all 50 states, won't damage our AWD.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What are Ascent owners plans for the winter restrictions?
Blizzaks on factory rims as a spare wheel/set, which are put on the car before each winter pass ski trip and taken off afterwards. AutoSocks kept in the rear storage area year round if it ever gets really nasty.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I was trying to find an alternative to the sock given its installation difficulty. The manual states that chains should not be used and of course any damage that might be caused is not covered under warranty. They state that spring devices can be used but only on the front. I will just get the sock for my Ascent and my son's Impreza and hopefully we will not need it. I will make sure we practice ahead of time just to be prepared.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Pretty soon it will be nearly impossible for anyone to get to the "ski resorts" in Colorado. The highways are just too crowded, even in the winter.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
front or rear only, or all four wheels?
In the cargo area, but, in the event you're actually told to put them on, front only, and never chain type traction devices. They will also INCREASE braking distance because of how the traction control system makes the ABS system interact with them.

...SAE class S device, and use it on the front wheels only.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the cargo area, but, in the event you're actually told to put them on, front only, and never chain type traction devices. They will also INCREASE braking distance because of how the traction control system makes the ABS system interact with them.
Sorry for the confusion. let me clarify my question. If I use the sock, should I use them on two or four wheels and if two which wheels?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. let me clarify my question. If I use the sock, should I use them on two or four wheels and if two which wheels?
I answered that. ?

Front only. Sorry if my joke (not really a joke) kinda made that get lost in my response.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
bike riding in 99 degree heat yesterday cooked my brain.
LMAO!!! You should see some of my early morning posts before I make coffee. Sometimes, even I can't even figure out what I was trying to say. ?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Back to the topic - how about all those people from out of state who rent vehicles to go skiing? I don't imagine they will have the required chains, snow socks, or winter tires to abide by the chain laws.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's a good question regarding people who are driving rental vehicles. I assume the rental agencies do not provide such things as chains?

I have very little experience in the snow. I think with a Subaru, the road conditions have to get very sketchy before they make you put on chains/cables/socks. These would be conditions that I'd rather not put my family through.

Looking back at last winter, we had fun on a "day trip" up to mountains to let the kiddos do some sledding. That day trip had us home at 5:30 am the next day (work day o_O) due to the poor conditions (we stayed at a friend's cabin until things got better).

Here's an example of what it was like. I posted this last year. It's dashcam footage from my Ascent as we were waved through Chain Control. Others were pulled over putting chains on. I just got the "thumbs up" and was let through. I was also able to try out X mode that day and it was great! However, this San Diegan prefers it a little bit nicer outside. :cool: We took other trips last winter that were more pleasant.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
That's a good question regarding people who are driving rental vehicles. I assume the rental agencies do not provide such things as chains?
Apparently, a number of them offer Subarus as rentals. My brother went to Colorado for some skiing and rented a Subie (it was suggested to him by them). The same rental company has literally ZERO Subies (as of 2 years ago, anyway) here on all of Long Island.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts