Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the front passenger seat is only adjustable front and back and seat recline (4 way). I had hoped that the front passenger seat would be 8 way adjustable in at least the Touring model. Has anyone sat in the passenger seat to get an idea of the comfort level? Once you have that adjustment it is difficult to go back to 4 way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So it looks like the front passenger seat is only adjustable front and back and seat recline (4 way). I had hoped that the front passenger seat would be 8 way adjustable in at least the Touring model. Has anyone sat in the passenger seat to get an idea of the comfort level? Once you have that adjustment it is difficult to go back to 4 way.
My big disappointment was the lack of height adjustment. I have back issues and the lumbar is really important to me. I don't think the passenger seat has that.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I sat in the passenger seat today on a demo while my wife drove and it felt plenty comfortable. Even more so than a 2015 outback.

·
Registered
978 Posts
No lumbar in the upper trim models for front passenger. Shishh. Even the GMC Canyon pickup can be had with passenger lumbar in the top trim lol.

Glad Im waiting I think Subaru will do some fine tuning for its Subaru customers.

Like ventilated seats, bench second row, no giant glass roof and top audio. Oh and yes basic lumbar on the front passenger seat. They want to play to their active families with purchase power they need to fine tune their packaging some. ?

Ever drop a bike crank on a glass roof while loading bikes on roof racks? I doubt it ends well. My OB has a few umm roof dents from supporting an active family life style.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sounds like justification on waiting for the elusive ‘perfect vehicle’. I wish you the best of luck finding said vehicle.

Subaru has never had a passenger seat with lumbar support. Not saying it can’t happen just probably won’t.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I like 8 way seats for the fronts. You should check out the GX460, it's similar to the Ascent

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like justification on waiting for the elusive ‘perfect vehicle’. I wish you the best of luck finding said vehicle.

Subaru has never had a passenger seat with lumbar support. Not saying it can’t happen just probably won’t.
I have a family that has purchased 6 Subaru from me, the father, who is now in his 60s, won't buy another one until Subaru puts the lumbar adjustments on the passenger seats. After 15-20 minutes of sitting in the passenger seat his back starts to lock up. His kids are all just fine and make fun of him for being old... It really comes down to who Subaru is trying to appeal to I think.

Also, since Honda put the vertical lumbar support on the CRV, I think Subaru will pay attention and eventually add it. They just need to do it for the passenger too.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Also, since Honda put the vertical lumbar support on the CRV, I think Subaru will pay attention and eventually add it. They just need to do it for the passenger too.
I ordered the Ascent so we could take some trips. I saw in the preliminary info on the Ascent that it had power front seats. One of the most desirable upgrades to the passenger seat. When I drive my 2017 Forester Touring the lumbar seat is great. I have back issues and it really helps. So I was glad to hear Subaru had added the power to the passenger seat. It wasn't until I visited a dealer demo last week that I discovered the lack of lumbar support and height adjustment on the passenger side. This will greatly influence my ability to switch drivers on a long haul. Really disappointed with Subaru on this one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I ordered the Ascent so we could take some trips. I saw in the preliminary info on the Ascent that it had power front seats. One of the most desirable upgrades to the passenger seat. When I drive my 2017 Forester Touring the lumbar seat is great. I have back issues and it really helps. So I was glad to hear Subaru had added the power to the passenger seat. It wasn't until I visited a dealer demo last week that I discovered the lack of lumbar support and height adjustment on the passenger side. This will greatly influence my ability to switch drivers on a long haul. Really disappointed with Subaru on this one.
I'm kind of surprised that you are surprised. Subaru has never done this on the passenger seat before...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm kind of surprised that you are surprised. Subaru has never done this on the passenger seat before...
Yes but they never built such a large vehicle before....or had standard eye-sight or had rear seat captains chairs....or had ventilated seats....or 19 CUP HOLDERS (can't forget that)!!! So why not add the adjustable seats to the front passengers. I don't think there are many vehicles at this price point that offer front ventilated seats but only 4 way power and no lumbar on the passenger side. Given what they threw into this vehicle....this seems like an oversight to me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, my Forester has power driver seat with lumbar, passenger has no power or lumbar, Now, Ascent has "Power Passenger Seat". Why not lumbar or height adjustment when they added power to it???

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well, my Forester has power driver seat with lumbar, passenger has no power or lumbar, Now, Ascent has "Power Passenger Seat". Why not lumbar or height adjustment when they added power to it???
Oh, I see what you are saying. Yeah, the Outback and Legacy are the only other models with a power seat for the passenger but its just the 4 way.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Weren't we just talking in another thread about how people will talk about how disappointed they are going to be in their new cars?

Without actually, of course, taking into consideration that, yes, those things you're talking about are, of course, available in another vehicle - if you want to spend $20,000 MORE than you will for an Ascent. The LOW end GX460 that someone on here keeps telling people to compare the Ascent to is a $52,000 MSRP vehicle, the more nicely equipped one is $63,500 MSRP.

Subaru could probably do all this stuff if we wanted to charge that much for a car ...

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
weren't we just talking in another thread about how people will talk about how disappointed they are going to be in their new cars?

Without actually, of course, taking into consideration that, yes, those things you're talking about are, of course, available in another vehicle - if you want to spend $20,000 more than you will for an ascent. The low end gx460 that someone on here keeps telling people to compare the ascent to is a $52,000 msrp vehicle, the more nicely equipped one is $63,500 msrp.

Subaru could probably do all this stuff if we wanted to charge that much for a car ...
exactly! Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts

My wife sat in it during a test drive, in cloth. She said her back hurt after 15 minutes in it. She was mad at me for not knowing it wasn't adjustable. So instead of buying one this week we are searching for a different vehicle. For us, it isn't hard to go back to 4-way, it is impossible. At least our back&butt-killing 2008 Outback passenger seat has lumbar.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Our 2008 Outback 3.0 has lumbar in the passenger seat. Not that it does much good - most who sit in it describe it as medically-damaging to their back and rear. It's that bad, but it has lumbar.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Our 2008 Outback 3.0 has lumbar in the passenger seat. Not that it does much good - most who sit in it describe it as medically-damaging to their back and rear. It's that bad, but it has lumbar.
I absolutely love the lumbar on the driver seat. I wouldn't be without it. At times when my wife drives and I sit in the passenger seat my back really feels the difference. I would buy it as an option if available.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Because everything has a cost and those costs add up and soon your are buying a $50,ooo.oo Car instead of a $40,oooo.oo Car...
Makes sense right......so people may need to go buy the car they want with the features they want instead of settling for less and then feeling the need to complain like there is something “wrong” with the car.....?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts