Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have an odd problem, wondering if any other Ascent owners are experiencing it. I've developed a rattle in the passenger seat that sounds like bb's in a tin can. Its coming from the rear of the left track. Here is where it really gets strange. If you move the seat all the way forward, or within a couple inches from full forward- the sound disappears. If the seat is all the way back...or nearly there- no sound. Its when the seat is about in the middle couple of inches of its adjustment range. Thats the only time you hear this rattle.
You could say to simply adjust the seat forward or back- the problem there is, the driver can't see too well out the front passenger window (with seat all the way forward) or out the back (with seat back) to look for oncoming traffic. The sweet spot to have the seat when you are driving alone happens to be in the area that triggers the rattle. My guess is it could be the seat belt pretensioner- maybe the wire bounces on the track at a certain spot. Anyone else heard of this type of issue? I'm honestly not too thrilled with going to the dealership and trying to explain this with any level of precision for their techs to try and fix. The thought of my seat being taken apart and pieces everywhere in my 2 month old Ascent gives me a stomach ache. Hoping somebody has heard of this and its a much easier solution to resolve. Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
The seat belt isn't connected to the seat. Only the clip connects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all. I have an odd problem, wondering if any other Ascent owners are experiencing it. I've developed a rattle in the passenger seat that sounds like bb's in a tin can. Its coming from the rear of the left track. Here is where it really gets strange. If you move the seat all the way forward, or within a couple inches from full forward- the sound disappears. If the seat is all the way back...or nearly there- no sound. Its when the seat is about in the middle couple of inches of its adjustment range. Thats the only time you hear this rattle.
You could say to simply adjust the seat forward or back- the problem there is, the driver can't see too well out the front passenger window (with seat all the way forward) or out the back (with seat back) to look for oncoming traffic. The sweet spot to have the seat when you are driving alone happens to be in the area that triggers the rattle. My guess is it could be the seat belt pretensioner- maybe the wire bounces on the track at a certain spot. Anyone else heard of this type of issue? I'm honestly not too thrilled with going to the dealership and trying to explain this with any level of precision for their techs to try and fix. The thought of my seat being taken apart and pieces everywhere in my 2 month old Ascent gives me a stomach ache. Hoping somebody has heard of this and its a much easier solution to resolve. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Yep! I have had a very similar experience that comes and goes. When it happens, it's loud enough to hear over the radio and is irritating. I captured a sound byte of the noise. Click the link to hear the noise file I recorded: Rattle noise

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
I have a few ideas... let me see if I can make a video this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M From- That pretty much sounds like what I've got. I've tried driving with the seat belt fastened and nobody in the passenger seat- still rattles. Does not rattle with a passenger. I can't imagine the passenger weight is compressing something. It's definately not the seat itself.

I had my wife drive the Ascent around, and i was lying in the floor and watching...trying to pinpoint it. If I squeeze the left track, it stops rattle. Let go and it starts up again. I didn't see any wires bouncing around that would cause the rattle. I'm at a loss thus far.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
M From- That pretty much sounds like what I've got. I've tried driving with the seat belt fastened and nobody in the passenger seat- still rattles. Does not rattle with a passenger. I can't imagine the passenger weight is compressing something. It's definately not the seat itself.

I had my wife drive the Ascent around, and i was lying in the floor and watching...trying to pinpoint it. If I squeeze the left track, it stops rattle. Let go and it starts up again. I didn't see any wires bouncing around that would cause the rattle. I'm at a loss thus far.
Some ideas:
  • Look for a loose clip, under the seat, slightly off to one side. Clips onto the underside frame.
  • Check the glasses holder on the ceiling (that sound seems to bounce)
  • Do you have a moon roof?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions- I've been able to narrow it down. Its definately coming from the left track under the passenger seat. If i sit in the floor of the back, and reach my arm around to the electric switch that moves the seat forward and back...and move the seat back and then let go of the switch...it will briefly make that rattle. Doesnt do it if im moving the seat forward and stop...but if im going backwards and i stop the seat moving, it rattles for 2 seconds. same rattle. so there is something around that track area causing this.

I looked around and dont see anything loose there, going in to look again.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Oh, I had a penny in one...

·
Registered
9 Posts

I tried fastening the seatbelt as well without a passenger and it continued making noise. Also, if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, it doesn't make any noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It ended up being a bad seatback. I'm not having much luck with these. My 2018 Legacy had the squeaking seat that many Legacy/Outback drivers complained about last year- and now I go and purchase a '19 Ascent and its pretty much the same thing. Starting to wonder who Subaru is letting build their seatbacks...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
would you mind share some step for changing center console, i also found a rattle comes from center console (i guess).
I had this as well, and the Subaru service is looking at it also. There is a video out there showing how to take it off...a little nervous about doing that myself on a nice new Ascent. You just look at that plastic and it will scrap or break.

My console squeak is a result of the two silver plastic rings- the one around the dual cup holders, and I think the one around the shifter. Have to have that replaced as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this as well, and the Subaru service is looking at it also. There is a video out there showing how to take it off...a little nervous about doing that myself on a nice new Ascent. You just look at that plastic and it will scrap or break.

My console squeak is a result of the two silver plastic rings- the one around the dual cup holders, and I think the one around the shifter. Have to have that replaced as well.
So finally, your problem is fixed. That's great!
But... after this fixing, does it generate another annoying sounds...?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So finally, your problem is fixed. That's great!
But... after this fixing, does it generate another annoying sounds...?
Thx. Fingers crossed....all good at the moment. The Legacy seatback was replaced about 9 months ago and its been quiet ever since. Hoping the Ascent follows suite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
would you mind share some step for changing center console, i also found a rattle comes from center console (i guess).
finally i found where does it case the rattle on my car. It was comes from the seat belt lock button inside, once i move it forward or backward, then no more sounds... if it keep at middle position, it is nightmare..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts